Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bulldogs & bladder stones

my oppinion is based on 12 years of rescue work and the simple knowledge that -----what may be a 5 star food to some breeds---is not fit for a BULLDOG--they are 180 degrees different than any other breeds, allergies,food,x rays, anesthetics,protocol for surgeries, daily care, heat intolerance, a vet who is Bulldog experienced! many Bulldogs die during surgery because of lack of knowledge.shall I go on??
    and again WHO paid for this 5 star rating?? you didn't answer that.English Bulldogs needs are so vastly different than any other breed. because of the need for pre and pro biotics- the pet foods now must get on board if our pets are to digest,increase the immune systems,and utilize the foods properly, and given the light on rendering plants-- and the knowledge that --all but 3 or 4 brands if that get the scraps from the rendering plants.... and knowing how to actually read a ingredient label. and in this day so many of the pet foods are cooked so hot and so long that -yes they digest easier-but are hydrolyzed(meaning it is broken down so much into its amino acids-there is nothing nutritious left, and actually doing harm!!! Fromm tells you how hot and how long, as many others are starting to come on board to state these readings.But that's OK -feed what you like, you will see in a few years--are you willing to subject your dog to someone else s, idea of a good food,not considering the special needs of Bulldogs. you simply cannot compare any breed with Bulldogs needs! I am sorry but that is a fact .I have spent the last 12 years doing research and rescue,and trying to get the information out to Bulldog owners to help them stay out of the vets offices.and have healthy, happy dogs.everything from simple vinegar/water mix 50/50 to squirt into ears weekly so that the dog never has a yest infection again.(if the food is not causing the yeast in the ears, or paw licking,skin bare spots, cysts between toes. )all allergy symptoms.
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

You mention a bulldog vet as to where you get your answers. And I'm not discrediting your comment about their being a breed different than others...yet you discredit them/bulldog knowledgeable vets in your previous post of them wanting to put the dog with stones on specific dog food for this problem...I'm puzzled, now I'm not saying the dog food would be the "best" but if it can prevent more stones then I do not look down my nose at my friend who feeds her dog this particular food to prevent more surgeries with her dog. For multiple surgeries can't be good either...and the food is known to prevent more stones. So I'm sorry I'm in favor of something that prevents dogs from having multiple surgeries...even if it's not the healthiest of foods. One must pick and chose what's important with their dogs health related issues I would think.

I'm not going to argue and if I came across harsh that was not my meaning...but I do plan on doing more research and speaking with other forums to see what they suggest is a healthy bulldog food. I prefer getting my answers from more than one source. No disrespect...but...that's how I operate.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

the only thing that I discredited the Bulldog vet s is the food, while it may prevent stones it will cause many other issues, and if A person can make the dog food, that prevents any surgeries,isn't that what you were aiming for? that's why I added that recipe in there. they cannot have meat as a protein.
    and by adding ,eat broth to drinking water , you can prevent ever getting stones ,because Bullys do not normally drink enough water. and I am not disrespecting your choices, and applaud your research to date, But it must be Bulldog specific to be applied, and most research just uses the average lab or Shepard. and my vet really wanted to have me put my dog on the special diet to prevent stones too. But I convinced him that I could cook the required diet, with the nessasary vitamins/calcium and do so easily. and I did prove my point in 2 weeks when the crystals were totally gone,even he was surprised. I used to make all my dogs food for quite some time. and I showed him the truth abopout pet foods inside findings on the brand he was suggesting, he agreeedd that it wasn't the healthiest, but better than a $1500.00 surgery, and I agree, however if you choose to feed the best, you make what you cannot buy! and with the preventative measures of ample water , and a bi yearly check for stones, he will be fine, I just stay away from any organ meat in pet foods,(which I do not have to worry about Fromm, because they only use muscle meat(the cuts you and I buy)and to stay away from high mineral proteins such as salmon. which is great for dogs not creating stones.it is often a genetic problem as in my dogs case, ( you can do a test to see if the organs are working properly)and if so it is genetic.
    no as to the few brands that we have been in the past feeding Bulldogs. the have not gotten on board with the guaranteed pre and pro biotics, like Fromm has,and or guaranteed it in writing. one other in California, called great 4 life also puts the guarantee in writing. but those are the only two in the US and Canada.I talk to manufactures weekly as a consultant for the truth about pet foods , and you can quickly get the drift when a company clams up about some of the technical issues, or wont even tell you if they have a protocol for a bad batch of food and a owner filing a complaint.we are trying to set up a system wher by a owner can call a company , with a complaint and the company gets the checks done with an independant testing lab to check for stated issues, then do a recall on that lot of food, severl companies are onboard all ready, Fromm being one of them.who will also call the pet owners who purchased the food , (they use register and Id statements to track customers for just this kind of thing.) but please enjoy your Bulldog, and if you feed the best, and wash face.bottom,and paws daily,bath bi weekly,(even a simple baby shampoo is PH corectly for dogs) you should have a happy healthy dog.
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Let's get back on topic regarding the original post. Dog food ratings are meant to be a guideline, and each of us can share whatever knowledge we have. It is up to the reader to decide what is right for their bulldog. It is only up to us to help provide whatever necessary information we can give as advice-- and that is what it is. Advice. I feel this topic is straying from the original post and becoming uncomfortable for everyone who may read it, so let's get back on track. Thank you.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

To each their own. Everyone has their own opinion and that is what is great about this place. We can all read and then use our own judgment as to what is best for our bullies.
    @Hidapriscila I have no further help here. I am curious what the vet says tho. I havent used the petsmart vets either, my mil does and likes them but then again she doesnt have a bully either. I personally take my boys to a local, regular vet for everyday things but do have a great bully vet to go to if I need them looked over in detail. You may want to use a good bully vet for this just to be sure you get the best fix for your baby.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads