DukeDutchess

Sep 15, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke Big Boss Cowboy
Although I don't post a lot, and I just noticed I have "pooper scooper" status!:unsure:-- I wanted to take a moment and share that my breeder actually gave me her five year old bulldog! Meet Gigi--pictured below in the forefront. My own bully Duke is six years old and totally owns my heart! And while I was excited to bring Gigi home, I had high anxiety about how Duke would feel and if he would accept a new addition into our tiny family. Duke is doing well, accommodating Gigi into our daily routines, and acting as a leader! Gigi is making herself right at home. They tolerate each other well, and Duke seems quite fascinated by her. I can't believe I actually have two English bulldogs! I hope they become the best of friends. I see so many pics of dogs cuddling together and I hope my pups will eventually get there. You think?

IMG_4298.JPG

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Beautiful girl and great that she's settling in well!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Although I don't post a lot, and I just noticed I have "pooper scooper" status!:unsure:-- I wanted to take a moment and share that my breeder actually gave me her five year old bulldog! Meet Gigi--pictured below in the forefront. My own bully Duke is six years old and totally owns my heart! And while I was excited to bring Gigi home, I had high anxiety about how Duke would feel and if he would accept a new addition into our tiny family. Duke is doing well, accommodating Gigi into our daily routines, and acting as a leader! Gigi is making herself right at home. They tolerate each other well, and Duke seems quite fascinated by her. I can't believe I actually have two English bulldogs! I hope they become the best of friends. I see so many pics of dogs cuddling together and I hope my pups will eventually get there. You think?

View attachment 113495

Congratulations,, she is beautiful! Give them about a month to settle and and you will see them begin to bond.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: your babies are beautiful... and I'm sure they will be best buds in no time!!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Hoping all goes smoothly as most situations like this do. You've got 2 fine looking Bullies there.
However...
Bringing in a second dog can change the family dynamic. Occasionally, we see a new bully seek the attention of the Alpha(in this case, you) and the established dog will have a problem with that. They can get grumpy with each other. This almost always happens when the established dog is getting attention(say, sitting next to you on the couch)and the new dog enters the "Mommy Zone" seeking similar attention. The established dog will snark at the new dog essentially defending his property(you)/territory(his couch). Hopefully this won't happen but if it does you need to be ready...you don't want to find yourself in between 2 dogs trying to sort things out. Be on the lookout for body language (ears back, hackles up, stiffened posture), put the established dog on the floor(neutral territory) right away...and begin to change the way things are run in the home. It's usually always manageable with positive corrective measures and subtle changes in how you run the home.

Please keep us posted on how things go.

OP
DukeDutchess

DukeDutchess

Sep 15, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke Big Boss Cowboy
Thanks so much, @cefe13, @2bullymama, @ddnene, and @oscarmayer, for your well wishes and your advice. It has helped me feel much more confident about what I have gotten myself into!
@oscarmayer, I have seen a little snarkiness-- especially the first week (from both of them), but thankfully, I have not seen it since! I have been rather consistent about giving them both attention at the same time, and deliberate about each of them seeing me give attention and affection to other independently. And yes, the floor is neutral territory. Appreciate the confirmation here.

Again, I really am grateful for the feedback! Very helpful. You guys are amazingly awesome! Thank you!:D

OP
DukeDutchess

DukeDutchess

Sep 15, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke Big Boss Cowboy
UPDATE! The bullies are bonding! You guys told me to give it some time, and you were absolutely right! So happy!
Duke and Gigi.jpg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
UPDATE! The bullies are bonding! You guys told me to give it some time, and you were absolutely right! So happy!
View attachment 114089

Love the picture of them cuddling! Louie always tries to lay all over Jax (my French Bulldog) and when that happens, Jax usually gets up to move away lol.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
View attachment 114089

They are going to be best buddies...just keep any extra eye out in the beginning as they can be all cuddly n one second one takes a snap. Good old little Duke’s are usually patient. Well in my case. Duke takes a lot from Nyala but if I only bring Duke with me for whatever, man Nyala starts searching for her buddy. She won’t relax till we come back. Then I get the stink eye for a few hours.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
this is just beautiful!!! so sweet and so glad you also have these experienced people to help when needed. Your doing great and seems a great thing you did for both of them ;)

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
View attachment 114089

OH what a great photo!!!! Look how comfy they are with each other!!!! Every time I see 2 bullies loving like that I think...."hmmmm, time for a buddy Joey?" then I shake the thought from my head LOL.....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.