urine stench in dirt

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
My daughter just bought a lovely new home, but the former owners had a 'dog run' where their dogs pottied. They had artificial grass (which we pulled out) and the dirt under is horrid!!! Does anyone have a remedy for this? Im figuring an enzymatic solution but ?????????????? any suggestions?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My daughter just bought a lovely new home, but the former owners had a 'dog run' where their dogs pottied. They had artificial grass (which we pulled out) and the dirt under is horrid!!! Does anyone have a remedy for this? Im figuring an enzymatic solution but ?????????????? any suggestions?

First of all...She keeping it as a dog run or put grass?

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
First of all...She keeping it as a dog run or put grass?

Not keeping it as a dog run 'per se' but her dog will be aloud there. she will probably will pot some flowers etc around the area in time.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Hankster

Tractor Supply or other horse supply Sweet PDZ for stalls:yes:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Not keeping it as a dog run 'per se' but her dog will be aloud there. she will probably will pot some flowers etc around the area in time.
I had a similar situation back home.. basically we used bleach. We poured non diluted bleach, let it sit there for a day n following day we just let the sprinkler drain it down. You really need to soak it a lot with water. If she's going to use it as a pooping area for her dog which is great to trained them immediately, she can just add 1/2" of crush pebbles. Puts a black layer material so weeds don't grow over the earth then the pebbles. Just a thought.

Yes Duke is marking my plastic growing bag!
481a2a289c057b01fe2c83599ba020f3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
thank you both!! and dang DUKE!! always something hahhhahahah cracks me up! such a helper dude! I also called Tractor supply and they gave me a few more suggestions as well as their stall granuals stuff. He also added that 'time' will help as they are hoping to eliminate not just cover so we shall see. . For now, im going to be pup sitting for a week or so while they soak or whatever. Thaks again :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No clue what to do .. yikes I can imagine odor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
We did the opposite. Most of our garden is taken up with pool and deck so we took out what remaining grass we had and put down artificial. It has been a godsend! My dogs are so much cleaner! We hose it down and use a deodorizer when necessary which is not very often. We use PE-51 or BioTurf so she might try one of those before putting any more dirt and natural grass down.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
thank you both!! and dang DUKE!! always something hahhhahahah cracks me up! such a helper dude! I also called Tractor supply and they gave me a few more suggestions as well as their stall granuals stuff. He also added that 'time' will help as they are hoping to eliminate not just cover so we shall see. . For now, im going to be pup sitting for a week or so while they soak or whatever. Thaks again :)

If you don’t want to go with bleach, there is always baking soda that will neutralizes pH levels of the earth but you don’t drain it with water....just mix it in or vinegar will do the job too. Or.....basically just let it air out or.......I’ll ship you Duke, he’ll pee on it n mix da problem. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
OP
Hankster

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
fun reading :) and yes, she may 're plant' the fake stuff there as well just couldnt bear to keep what was there already.... so she will do what she can and re do ;) thanks someore

Capt Swirley

Jun 28, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tango
I am in the wastewater treatment field and so this is right up my alley. Aerobic bacteria in the soil & water breathe in oxygen and exhale CO2 like us with no real odors. Anaerobic bacteria breakdown sulphur compounds during respiration and give off smelly gasses like ammonia, sulfides, etc. If the soil is compacted, or stays wet, the anaerobic bacteria will thrive. You can put bleach on it and kill the Anaerobic bacteria for a while, but it will come back when the naturally occuring anaerobic bacteria recover.
You need an environmental conducive to aerobic bacteria in there. Run a small rototiller through the area (or work it up with a fork) and aerate it, natures aerobic bacteria in the soil will correct the issue in no time.... and it will probably be the best growing flower bed soil you've got.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Buy a 1 Gallon jug of Nature's Miracle and pour it(full strength) into a pump-up sprayer. Distribute evenly over the affected area. Wait one week and repeat as needed.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I would NOT recommend bleach as there could be ammonia present and that is a toxic match. Someone posted using the Sweet PDZ stall additive. Consider putting down some lime.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.