English bulldog Broken nail down to the nerve. What to do? + BARF Diet

Skilzzy

Jul 28, 2017
Country
Norway
Bulldog(s) Names
Achilles
Hi everyone!
Achilles managed to break his nail a week ago while running ( Pictures below)
all of the sudden he stopped playing and lifted up his left paw with the broken nail. We immediately took him to the vet. He shaved off the hair and gave him some pain killers and told us to wait until the nail fell off by its own. If it didn't, we would have to do a small surgery on that nail. We we're told to wait several weeks, but it seems like Achilles is in much pain. He can't run, and is halting when walking, always trying to lick his paw. I noticed that the nail that is broken is a bit long so it touches the ground when walking (hence hurting)
when i try to clip it or even touch is super lightly he stresses and removes his paw and hides.
so it's obvious its super sensetive. Any ideas to what to do? we called the vet yesterday and he told us to just wait for another 2 weeks or so. but the nail keeps growing which mean more pain when walking.

ALSO COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC

Does anyone here have any experience with the BARF diet for bulldogs if we ground the bones? nail.jpgnail 2.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everyone!
Achilles managed to break his nail a week ago while running ( Pictures below)
all of the sudden he stopped playing and lifted up his left paw with the broken nail. We immediately took him to the vet. He shaved off the hair and gave him some pain killers and told us to wait until the nail fell off by its own. If it didn't, we would have to do a small surgery on that nail. We we're told to wait several weeks, but it seems like Achilles is in much pain. He can't run, and is halting when walking, always trying to lick his paw. I noticed that the nail that is broken is a bit long so it touches the ground when walking (hence hurting)
when i try to clip it or even touch is super lightly he stresses and removes his paw and hides.
so it's obvious its super sensetive. Any ideas to what to do? we called the vet yesterday and he told us to just wait for another 2 weeks or so. but the nail keeps growing which mean more pain when walking.

ALSO COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC

Does anyone here have any experience with the BARF diet for bulldogs if we ground the bones? View attachment 113432View attachment 113433

If heā€™s in pain why on earth would he wait 2 weeks....if this happened a week ago and heā€™s still in pain go see another vet. It does take time to heal but the vet should of trimmed his nail as far back as possible so it doesnā€™t touch the ground or wrap it up with a breathable wrap.

OP
S

Skilzzy

Jul 28, 2017
Country
Norway
Bulldog(s) Names
Achilles
If heā€™s in pain why on earth would he wait 2 weeks....if this happened a week ago and heā€™s still in pain go see another vet. It does take time to heal but the vet should of trimmed his nail as far back as possible so it doesnā€™t touch the ground or wrap it up with a breathable wrap.

Yeah well that is what got me worried. his 2 week mark.
i called yesterday and told him about the situation, but he said its totally normal and expected. He also stated that the nail most likely will fall off in 2 weeks, if it doesn't, small surgery might be needed. but i feel like 2 weeks is awfully long. hurts me to see him disstressed

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I'd have him doped up a bit and take that nail back to a manageable length. Leaving it long like that so it touches the ground with every step, causing unnecessary pain, is irresponsible. If the nail is broken away from the bed then there's no harm in removing it now. See a different vet or return to that one and tell him you do not want to wait for 2 weeks if your bully will be in pain for the duration...makes no sense at all.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I agree. Itā€™s obviously causing pain so there is no point in waiting around waiting for it to fall off. Another 2 weeks is a long time to be in unnecessary pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
No way would I take my bully to such an inept jerk devoid of
concern or compassion. I'd not trust him to cut back or remove
the nail and give adequate (if any) pain relief, your poor baby!
Sending love and prayers...please go elsewhere!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty had a wonky toenail that he ripped. Our vet removed it under local and it grew back normally. As others have said, take him to another vet.

Monty's sore toe!.jpg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
and about the "barf" diet.. Id start another post for that ;) lots of us 'raw'feedrs here now so ya may catch more attention on that :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree... go back to vet and demand the appropriate attention or find a new vet that will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Wonder how this vet would feel if his toenail was falling off n needs to wait 2weeks!

Most Reactions