Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road trips with your Bully

Bulldog(s) Names
    Mai, Tai, and Tiki
    Likes (Received)

Default Road trips with your Bully

We have a road trip comming up from Arkansas to North Caralina and have never taken any of our dogs on the road with us. Well, we have decided to take a couple with us and was wondering how your bullies did on long road trips. Of course we will take plenty of supplies and emergency items. Our girls will be about six months old when we go and I was wonder if any one had any tips or horror stories they would like to share.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Road trips with your Bully

Samson has always done great on road trips, he went on his first 4 hour road trip when he was only like 4 months old. Never threw up or had any accidents. He's actually a wonderful road trip buddy. Good luck! Make plenty of stops for them to potty and strretch their legs!

"Looking at a bulldog is said to cure the worse of the blues, living with one, serves to prevent them!" -Author unknown

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Our Bulldogs always fall asleep when traveling, so other than turning the radio up so we can hear it over the chorus of snoring, no problems! We always stop someplace other than commonly used rest stops to give our boys a potty break. Even with all of their shots you never know what kind of "bugs" linger at those rest stops!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Holly and Ringo
    Likes (Received)

I have taken my bully Holly now 17 months on 2 road trips to Florida, once when last March when she was 5 months old and this past november at 13 months old, she was a great girl the both times, she slept alot and when she was awake she was very content to play with her toys. This past time when we went she was good, but her new thing is she wanted to sit on my the whole way, but at 71 lbs she is quite a heavy lap dog. Just had to stop for potty breaks and meals. She loves being in the car

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jozi, Wales
    Likes (Received)

Jozi travels allover with me. She is 5months old and has gone from
    Arkansas to Pennsylvania 3 times now. The whole drive takes me
    about 19 hours. She probably sleeps 17 of it. She wakes up at gas
    stops and when its time to eat or drink.

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

I agree...we too avoid potty breaks with our dogs at rest areas. But find fast food places that have some grass and if lucky...some shade trees as well. And we picnic under the trees with the dogs having time to stretch their legs and such.

I pack Benadryl allergy [in case they might get stung, Lemon Juice, the solution I clean all wrinkles with...And extra water for the dogs. You can freeze a few prior to leaving...so they thaw along the way and a few unthawed. So you can hydrate them...A few toys for them to chew along the way. Make sure you have their tags on their collars. [Some people I know keep them in their filing cabinets at home]

And...Bene-Bac...something that is good for upset tummies if they would get stressed from traveling.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hudson
    Likes (Received)

Hudson LOOOVES car rides. He's only gone as far as New Jersey - about 2 hours - but he does very well. He will usually take any opportunity we give him to pee, and he likes frequent water, but other than that he's a perfect traveler. He doesn't really sleep much - he doesn't want to miss what's going on outside the window!

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Stig sleeps most of the way also. But I sometimes catch him sitting up looking at the outside. Great advice on stopping at the non-normal spots and to take allergy meds, etc. just in case.

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

HRH doesn't like change. She didn't want to eat, drink or potty when we took her to Ohio for three days over New Years. She finally did drink a little the last morning and piddled but it was obvious she was very happy to get back home.

We are going to Louisville in May, so will upset her apple cart again.

But she was almost 4 years old before ever going on a long trip, and she likes her world to be very rote. I think traveling with a puppy is likely to be completely different.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    lex 19 months
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

we go about 6 hrs with lex and he does great. we take him everywhere so he loves sitting in my lap and watch cars go by, and he loves seeing new things
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
    Likes (Received)

Bertie has been riding in the car since the 1st day I got her. She loves to ride in the car and has never gotten car sick. She is a good girl and will look out the window, but mostly sleeps.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

We have never taken any really LONG car trips ... although we are planning to rent a log cabin for a weekend in May and taking Maggie (and possibly Daddy) with us. Otherwise the trips around Medina are heaven to them ... I actually think Maggie would prefer to drive in a car much more than a walk!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads