Road trips with your Bully

PukaMiniBulldogs

Mar 18, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Mai, Tai, and Tiki
We have a road trip comming up from Arkansas to North Caralina and have never taken any of our dogs on the road with us. Well, we have decided to take a couple with us and was wondering how your bullies did on long road trips. Of course we will take plenty of supplies and emergency items. Our girls will be about six months old when we go and I was wonder if any one had any tips or horror stories they would like to share.:D

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson has always done great on road trips, he went on his first 4 hour road trip when he was only like 4 months old. Never threw up or had any accidents. He's actually a wonderful road trip buddy. Good luck! Make plenty of stops for them to potty and strretch their legs!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Our Bulldogs always fall asleep when traveling, so other than turning the radio up so we can hear it over the chorus of snoring, no problems! We always stop someplace other than commonly used rest stops to give our boys a potty break. Even with all of their shots you never know what kind of "bugs" linger at those rest stops!

Lynne

Feb 15, 2011
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly and Ringo
I have taken my bully Holly now 17 months on 2 road trips to Florida, once when last March when she was 5 months old and this past november at 13 months old, she was a great girl the both times, she slept alot and when she was awake she was very content to play with her toys. This past time when we went she was good, but her new thing is she wanted to sit on my the whole way, but at 71 lbs she is quite a heavy lap dog. Just had to stop for potty breaks and meals. She loves being in the car

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Jozi travels allover with me. She is 5months old and has gone from
Arkansas to Pennsylvania 3 times now. The whole drive takes me
about 19 hours. She probably sleeps 17 of it. She wakes up at gas
stops and when its time to eat or drink.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I agree...we too avoid potty breaks with our dogs at rest areas. But find fast food places that have some grass and if lucky...some shade trees as well. And we picnic under the trees with the dogs having time to stretch their legs and such.

I pack Benadryl allergy [in case they might get stung, Lemon Juice, the solution I clean all wrinkles with...And extra water for the dogs. You can freeze a few prior to leaving...so they thaw along the way and a few unthawed. So you can hydrate them...A few toys for them to chew along the way. Make sure you have their tags on their collars. [Some people I know keep them in their filing cabinets at home]

And...Bene-Bac...something that is good for upset tummies if they would get stressed from traveling.

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
Hudson LOOOVES car rides. He's only gone as far as New Jersey - about 2 hours - but he does very well. He will usually take any opportunity we give him to pee, and he likes frequent water, but other than that he's a perfect traveler. He doesn't really sleep much - he doesn't want to miss what's going on outside the window!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stig sleeps most of the way also. But I sometimes catch him sitting up looking at the outside. Great advice on stopping at the non-normal spots and to take allergy meds, etc. just in case.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH doesn't like change. She didn't want to eat, drink or potty when we took her to Ohio for three days over New Years. She finally did drink a little the last morning and piddled but it was obvious she was very happy to get back home.

We are going to Louisville in May, so will upset her apple cart again.

But she was almost 4 years old before ever going on a long trip, and she likes her world to be very rote. I think traveling with a puppy is likely to be completely different.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
we go about 6 hrs with lex and he does great. we take him everywhere so he loves sitting in my lap and watch cars go by, and he loves seeing new things

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
Bertie has been riding in the car since the 1st day I got her. She loves to ride in the car and has never gotten car sick. She is a good girl and will look out the window, but mostly sleeps.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We have never taken any really LONG car trips ... although we are planning to rent a log cabin for a weekend in May and taking Maggie (and possibly Daddy) with us. Otherwise the trips around Medina are heaven to them ... I actually think Maggie would prefer to drive in a car much more than a walk!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jake just had his first trip to our place in the local mountains. About 2 hour trip..much on windy mountain roads. I was so nervous because our other dog barfs all the time. He did great and even had a calming effect on Dena!! Slept about half the way there and ALL the way home! You will do fine..everyone told me they were great travelers..they were right! Here is a pic of Jake enjoying California frwys!

Attachments

• downsized950402110843[1].jpg
    downsized950402110843[1].jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 141

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] omg what the heck jake is HUGE! hes lookin good. Im glad he did well on his trip!

ps to the op ; Samson loves the car

2011-03-30163919.jpg

Most Reactions