Hot spots?

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan šŸ‘¼šŸ»šŸŒˆ(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Just gave Logan a bath with medicated shampoo and Iā€™ve been using NuStock on him and also switched back from taste of the wild to their original brand of Fromm Grain free. He does have slight runny nose too (clear) Iā€™ll be taking him to Butchko soon as well too if nothing helps.. thinking itā€™s hot spot but thereā€™s no pus or anything like that.

35e1db65a5bcaf047e127c7c88f3f0b3.jpg

a73c632942a0725a0df5b2dc1fb62058.jpg

50f453f8f760eb0e42c5b28b035a3509.jpg

8b7c5a386a4c3c4f6306e99b89575b3d.jpg

Took these w/flash. This was after his bath so it heā€™s still soaking wet.

d8b5f9fabc9036ec96257ad9df9e4c39.jpg

6e33bbd5efd6df5f16b629a9671d9a1c.jpg

85d2c8b62205679e2639df3eb639e31f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It looks like the beginning of a hot spot to me... I'd shave the area to keep it dry, and start treating it immediately.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Hotspots are a self-inflicted irritation of the skin. Usually caused by scratching an itchy area...can also be caused by rubbing up against something like a bear would scratch itself on tree bark. Shaving the affected area and keeping that area dry will allow it to scab over and heal. It will likely look much worse before it gets better. Fear not, this is part of the healing process.
It's very important to address what caused the scratching. Most times it's caused by soap residue left on the skin after bathing or perhaps a reaction to something on the skin...shampoo perfumes, something in the garden, something on the floor, a bug bite...the list goes on.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Yes, looks like a hotspot. When Castor had that the vet shaved and washed with hibiscrub and then we washed with chlorehexidine shampoo (leave on and rinse after ten minutes) once a day for a week. Healed surprisingly fast.

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, looks like a hotspot. When Castor had that the vet shaved and washed with hibiscrub and then we washed with chlorehexidine shampoo (leave on and rinse after ten minutes) once a day for a week. Healed surprisingly fast.

Any suggestion for what & where to get the Chlorhexidine shampoo? Or that needs to be prescribed by vet? Thanks!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Any suggestion for what & where to get the Chlorhexidine shampoo? Or that needs to be prescribed by vet? Thanks!

We used a shampoo called TrizChlor4. We bought it at the vet's and I've later bought it online as it's good for Castor's feet too (he gets interdigital cysts). I think it's a brand that's available in the US too, but otherwise there are other brands. We've also uses Douxo for Castor's feet, but I think the TrizChlor4 is slightly stronger. At least the vet told me to use gloves as it dries out the skin.

If this is Logan's first hotspot I would probably take him to a vet to make sure they agree with the treatment and so that they can shave (unless you are able to do that yourself). Here is Castor when he came out from the vet's and then one week later.

IMG_3082.JPG

IMG_3224.JPG

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

You can get it from Amazon or other online stores.

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We used a shampoo called TrizChlor4. We bought it at the vet's and I've later bought it online as it's good for Castor's feet too (he gets interdigital cysts). I think it's a brand that's available in the US too, but otherwise there are other brands. We've also uses Douxo for Castor's feet, but I think the TrizChlor4 is slightly stronger. At least the vet told me to use gloves as it dries out the skin.

If this is Logan's first hotspot I would probably take him to a vet to make sure they agree with the treatment and so that they can shave (unless you are able to do that yourself). Here is Castor when he came out from the vet's and then one week later.

View attachment 113236

View attachment 113235

Logan gets interdigital cysts on his paws too. Iā€™ll definitely take him to Dr Butchko. I wanted to try if Iā€™m able to help it without going to the vet yet. Iā€™ve used the Nu Stock & Pet MD antiseptic and anti-fungal Medicated spray. So far it helped his cysts. Thank you for the infos!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Logan gets interdigital cysts on his paws too. Iā€™ll definitely take him to Dr Butchko. I wanted to try if Iā€™m able to help it without going to the vet yet. Iā€™ve used the Nu Stock & Pet MD antiseptic and anti-fungal Medicated spray. So far it helped his cysts. Thank you for the infos!!

Thanks for tips on stuff for interdigital cysts - will check them out!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Hotspots and cysts.... he has an allergy that is putting havoc on his immune system. Have you thought about doing an allergy test, a full blood panel test is not 100% accurate, but gives a good indication of the under lying issue

OP
2bulldogsstuff

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hotspots and cysts.... he has an allergy that is putting havoc on his immune system. Have you thought about doing an allergy test, a full blood panel test is not 100% accurate, but gives a good indication of the under lying issue

No I havenā€™t. But will absolutely will do one for him. When I ran out of dog food for a day or so I gave him rice and boiled chicken and Iā€™ve noticed that since giving him chicken thatā€™s when these hot spots started showing and the cysts. Iā€™ve been following someone on IG too and commented about should avoid giving chicken especially if they itching & gnawing at their legs. So thinking about going pescatarian diet and see how he does with it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No I havenā€™t. But will absolutely will do one for him. When I ran out of dog food for a day or so I gave him rice and boiled chicken and Iā€™ve noticed that since giving him chicken thatā€™s when these hot spots started showing and the cysts. Iā€™ve been following someone on IG too and commented about should avoid giving chicken especially if they itching & gnawing at their legs. So thinking about going pescatarian diet and see how he does with it.

Our first bulldog was highly allergic to rice and our second was chicken and salmon.... the hotspots and cyst were horrible until i got that out of diet. Good luck and keep us posted

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.