Dog bite

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Hi guys! I havenā€™t been on here for awhile, I hope everyone is well.

I have a question. I let Louie play with my neighborā€™s pitbull and the pitbull bit Louie and his jaw locked on him twice. When he finally let go I picked louie up & the dog bit me. We both have puncture wounds.

Any suggestions on what to watch for?
I think the dog is unvaccinated.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Oh, sounds like a scary experience. I would assume it's essential to know whether you and your dog are vaccinated. If I were you, I would call a doctor to check whether you need to get a tetanus shot. Apart from that, I would watch for any signs of pain and fever. Regarding Louie, I would call the vet and ask for advice.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
You would have to check that no bones were broken (depending on where the bite was) for you and your dog. Most likely if you went to a doctor they would prescribe amoxicillin/clavulanic acid antibiotic, and a tetanus shot if you haven't had one in 10 years. A vet would probably prescribe amox/clav for your dog as well. In the meantime you can put antibiotic ointment on the areas ( eg. Neosporin ) .

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi guys! I havenā€™t been on here for awhile, I hope everyone is well.

I have a question. I let Louie play with my neighborā€™s pitbull and the pitbull bit Louie and his jaw locked on him twice. When he finally let go I picked louie up & the dog bit me. We both have puncture wounds.

Any suggestions on what to watch for?
I think the dog is unvaccinated.

OUCH!!! Sorry you both experienced this... have you gone to the vet and doctor? As Dollys owner mentioned you should both get checked out especially if you think he is not vaccinated.

Iā€™ve never known anyone to be bit by an unvaccinated dog so not sure of signs or symptoms.

How are you both doing today?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
So sorry about the bites... I agree w/everyone about getting checked.

Last year my hubby accidentally got bit by Walter, and we ended up at the ER because it was right in his knuckle joint. They gave him antibiotics just to be sure of infection... so you probably need to be seen especially if the dog is unvaccinated.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Great advice above, but what about rabies? Rabies is 100 per cent lethal for people, the same like tetanus, so if rabies unvaccinated dog bit you, you need to watch dog closely for 14 days and in case dog shows signs of being unwell, you have to undergo rabies shots. Please dont play with this, itā€™s potentially very serious. Call your family nurse or doctor and ask for advice please.

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
It is so good to hear from all of you! [emoji177]
Thank you all! [emoji847][emoji8]
We are feeling okay today, just bruised & sore. I do not think the dog is current on rabies because the owner didnā€™t have any proof.
You are all exactly right (like always)
we need to get checked out.
Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I don't know where you are but dog bite charges vary from state to state, especially if they are unvaccinated. I am not suggesting you run out and file charges but if his dog is not vaccinated, he could be in trouble. He should at least offer to pay any medical bills as they wouldn't have been necessary if his dog was current. If it was dog on dog, stuff happens, but you got bitten so different story. I hope it all continues to be OK for you.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yeah, itā€™s actually unacceptable not to vaccinate dog against rabies, especially dogs that are known to be more prone to bite. Itā€™s not only about owners safety but also about other people.
You can end up with significant medical bills for you (rabies vaccination could cost around 3000 usd) and it would be fair if the owner of dog shared it with you.

OP
Emily

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
You guys are so right. [emoji8][emoji7]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Yeah, itā€™s actually unacceptable not to vaccinate dog against rabies, especially dogs that are known to be more prone to bite. Itā€™s not only about owners safety but also about other people.
You can end up with significant medical bills for you (rabies vaccination could cost around 3000 usd) and it would be fair if the owner of dog shared it with you.

You have to pay 3K ? really? Ouch!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Didn't realize that the dog who bit you may not have been vaccinated for rabies. If you go to ER the doctor has responsibility to report that dog to appropriate authority for biting you. I'm not sure what the authorities would do since it's a pit bull- definitely would give dog's owner a warning, maybe more. I would ask that dog owner to have his dog's rabies titres checked for your peace of mind, plus he should have his dog vaccinated for rabies.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
so sorry and horrible predicament! Here in cali, im afraid the dog would have to be put under quarantine and being the breed he is, thats especially scary :( We all love dogs so much that this would be an awful spot to be put in but then again,,,, it could be life or death to you. I 'think' i would try to get the owner to put the dog in voluntary quarantine (as i personally would hate to have authorities involved if possible), and get myself to the dr as well.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
One bite law in Utah as with most states. What concerns me it how you got bit after breaking up the confrontation and picking up Louie. The adrenaline driven aggression continued and the Pitbull went for you. This dog has ZERO bite inhibition. A PITBULL with low or no bite inhibition is extremely dangerous. Where was the Pitbull owner during the scuffle? Why didn't HE try to break up the altercation? He should have been, at least, able to restrain his dog from attacking you. Consider yourself lucky to escape this situation with as little damage as you describe.
The fact that the owner has no records of rabies immunization is irresponsible. The combination of irresponsible owner and dangerous Pitbull is unacceptable. IMO, the dog should be put down. The Pitbull's "strike one" was when it attacked Louie. Strike 2 came when it attacked you. I think that Pitbulls should be given "special consideration" under the law because they are quick and agile, tend strike without warning, can cause an incredible amount of damage in just a few seconds, and notoriously have a very high prey drive. I know of no other breed of dog that maintains all of those attributes at such a high level. Too bad that this wrap follows all Pitbulls, even the good ones that are friendly loving family members.
The authorities may see things differently. This should be reported before anyone else gets injured or killed.
I hope you and Louie make a rapid recovery.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.