HELP!!!!

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
OK SO I'M FREAKING OUT!!!! :eek: SPARKLES IS 9 DAYS SHORT OF BEING 7 MONTHS AND SOMETHING REALLY SCARY JUST HAPPENED..... SPIKE WAS SMELLING SPARKLES PRIVATE PART AND HE WENT CRAZY!!!!!!! HE IMMEDIATELY STARTED HUMPING HER I COULDN'T GET HIM OFF. I PICKED UP SPARKLES AND HELD HER IN MY ARMS. I THINK SHE MIGHT HAVE "SILENT HEAT"!!!!! AS SOON AS I GOT SPARKLES AWAY FROM SPIKE SPIKE THREW UP ALL HIS FOOD HE HAD JUST EATEN 10 MINS PRIOR. HE IS FINE NOW BUT I'M FREAKING OUT ABOUT SPARKLES. :confused::eek: ITS SO CRAZY B/C I JUST GOT BACK FROM PETSMART BUYING DIAPERS FOR HER PREPARING MYSELF FOR HER HEAT!!!! SYMPTOMS OF "SILENT HEAT" PLEASE AND I'VE HEARD SOME THINGS ABOUT MALE DOGS GOING CRAZY WHEN THE FEMALE IS IN HEAT...SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Not a bulldog story..but we had dobies years ago and when the female came in heat..we put her in the house and separated them. Our male started tearing the wood frame off from around the door. Yes I think they can go crazy!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think they can go crazy ... it depends on the dog. Has Spike been neutered???

OP
catorres8988

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
No... i had never seen spike so aggresive towards her. i guess it affects them too huh?!!! :{

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If you think she is having a silent heat it will be best to keep them separated, at least when you are not watching them. You do not want her to have a litter at such a young age and accidents CAN happen!!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
If you think she is having a silent heat it will be best to keep them separated, at least when you are not watching them. You do not want her to have a litter at such a young age and accidents CAN happen!!!!

I totally agree ..... and unless you are hoping to breed them at some point I would certainly consider getting them spayed/neutered or you are going to have a few very "interesting" times ahead of you

OP
catorres8988

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
:nervous:yea i know they have been seperated since the "incident". we have heavy duty baby metal gates and spike won't leave her side he keeps on whining. this is scary!!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Yes. Females in heat drive males nuts. So much so, you should kennel them. If Spike is reacting to her, he could escape. They will do just about whatever to get to the female. I learned this info from Cesar Milan. A male dog can smell a female in heat up to 5 miles away. If Spike were to get loose and mounted Sparkles AND succeeded...you could end up with a disaster. One or both of them can easy overheat and pass away. So, kennel them. And get him fixed....unless you plan on breeding them. It will be better for all involved.

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
If Sparkles is not showing any sign of a heat cycle she could have an infection maybe bladder that is also exciting your male

OP
catorres8988

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
kennell them?.... what do u mean? i just don't want spike to go crazy. i think he might have an anxiety attack if thats even possible? how long does this "heat" stage last?

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
You will have to keep them absolutley separated . Unless you are planning on breeding them, they should be spayed and neutered. Get some babygates. That should give you a little peace of mind.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=1710]LisaMarie[/MENTION]
She has baby gates...I was explaining that a baby gate may not keep Spike away from Sparkles. To prevent an accidental and potentially fatal breeding, I suggested keeping one of them in a kennel/crate. Male dog's have been know to break down wood fences smelling a female in heat on the other side. If Stig is having that much of a reaction to her...I'd think heat cycle. And I would be concerned over the anxiety. That's one of the reasons they do AI. When Cadence was being AI'd.....Chesty was in such a fit from the ride to the clinic....the staff had to put him into a tub with ice to cool him down. Even tho Cadence was in a different room, Chesty was so excited...it could have potentially been fatal.

OP
catorres8988

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
now i'm really scared...i'm actually more worried about my baby spike than i am sparkles... like i said they are seperated by a metal gate. my husband and i were thinking it would be best to just crate spike when we r not home. :[ i have my brother who dog sits for me so i'll have to make sure to explain to him the new rules on keeping them seperated at all times. thanks everyone for the info. i hope i don't freak out in the process. i'll keep yall posted.

OP
catorres8988

catorres8988

Jun 3, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Spike & Sparkles
i'm taking spike to the vet tomorrow for some shots i'll ask the dr. while i'm there

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Also, just to prepare you, a bulldog is in heat for approx 3 weeks.... if she is just starting (to smell) of her heat she may not actually start for a week-- so it could be a month total....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.