Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I left today for around two hours to get some exercise and came home to a chair cushion torn apart. Its not a chair that is used much but without it my living room would look empty. I have been working a more hours recently than normal but still have two day weekends most weeks and I spend a lot of time with Chunky when I am not at work doing stuff like picking him up before getting dinner instead of getting it on my way home and I take him most places I go on my days off just like he is my kid. I can not afford to have him tearing anymore of my house or furniture apart. He has had free run of most of my house for a while now at all times but I can no longer trust him and its frustrates me that I cannot.

I wonder some times if he would be better off in a household that has more people to give him more attention and I am having to work lesser jobs than I have in the past just to be able to keep him. I normally travel all over for work but have stayed at home since getting Chunky and he has been worth it

IMG_20180609_142838170.jpg

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I usually limit the space my dogs can roam when I'm not home. At least for the time they're not to be trusted. I don't crate them, but they're in a space where they can do no harm to my property or to themselves.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I usually limit the space my dogs can roam when I'm not home. At least for the time they're not to be trusted. I don't crate them, but they're in a space where they can do no harm to my property or to themselves.

I am not going to crate him but will now put him in the laundry room when I am not able to observe him. I have turned all the chairs towards the walls for the time being to keep him off of the couch which he spends 75% of his day on and chair he tore the bottom out of the cushion on.

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
I would say " Bad dog"... then buy another chair.
Actually I would be on the ground gathering all the pieces and piecing it back to together and making sure he didn't swallow too much and also to know how much.
Also monitor the pooh for a bit and hope that the missing pieces show up.
I take my 2 to daycare twice a week to help break up the week and let them get that extra energy released.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I would say " Bad dog"... then buy another chair.
Actually I would be on the ground gathering all the pieces and piecing it back to together and making sure he didn't swallow too much and also to know how much.
Also monitor the pooh for a bit and hope that the missing pieces show up.
I take my 2 to daycare twice a week to help break up the week and let them get that extra energy released.

My work hours wont allow for me to take him to day care because none of the local ones are open at 6 am. My neighbor lets him out and walks him while I am at work also. He has ate some dog beds in the past when he has had a full day to tear them up and has been fine. I don't think he had enough time to eat much if any and will check the security cameras to see if he was dining on any of it. We had already been on a 1 mile walk and morning ride to get breakfast and he was napping when I left

baileys mom

Jun 9, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey Marie
sounds like he's still young. I always make sure when I'm at work my bully has something to chew esp bones ie soup bones from meat department and other long lasting chew treats or the kind they have to try to get the treat out of to keep her occupied. Now that she is older almost 2years she not as interested in chewing everything I also work 12hr days but take her for walk when I get home to run the energy down.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I agree about confining him when you are not at home. It sounds like he could be bored. You can't do daycare but what about Rover or Wag? I haven't tried them but I know you can get someone to come over for like 30 minute visits and stuff and the prices don't seem to be outrageous. Once the kids move out I will probably look into this so the boys aren't home alone all day by themselves. I need to win the lotto so I can stay home with them!

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
sounds like he's still young. I always make sure when I'm at work my bully has something to chew esp bones ie soup bones from meat department and other long lasting chew treats or the kind they have to try to get the treat out of to keep her occupied. Now that she is older almost 2years she not as interested in chewing everything I also work 12hr days but take her for walk when I get home to run the energy down.

Chunky is 3 years old and hasn't tore up the house or furniture in a longtime until today. He has plenty of chew and other toys laying all over the house or did until I threw them all in his room.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I agree about confining him when you are not at home. It sounds like he could be bored. You can't do daycare but what about Rover or Wag? I haven't tried them but I know you can get someone to come over for like 30 minute visits and stuff and the prices don't seem to be outrageous. Once the kids move out I will probably look into this so the boys aren't home alone all day by themselves. I need to win the lotto so I can stay home with them!

My neighbor takes him out most days and its not often that he never gets to go out while I am at work. We had spent the whole morning together walking and went for a ride in the truck to get breakfast which is normal day off stuff we do. I was only gone for 2 hours at the most today

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I never let my gang have free run .. for their safety... I’d limit his space... gate in kitchen, bathroom or laundry room... leave door open and get a baby gate fir the door way. He is safe and you know he can’t get into anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He’s just bored n wants to be with you 24/7. I agree with Christine. Make sure the door is open so he sees the other side n not a closed door and 4 walls :no:

Can your neighbor keep him all day till you get home?

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
He’s just bored n wants to be with you 24/7. I agree with Christine. Make sure the door is open so he sees the other side n not a closed door and 4 walls :no:

Can your neighbor keep him all day till you get home?

No my neighbor is a busy recent retiree who I am lucky enough to have let him out as often as he does and I don't trust anyone else with access to my home while I am gone. None of my family that would have more time for him than I do are people I would trust to enter my home without me here. My other neighbors aren't available either. I spend all my time off with him so I am not getting any closer to having a live in girlfriend or even one at all.

This whole ordeal has stressed me out past the level I was already at with my work getting rid of people on top of family issues/drama that never seem too end. They just get worse

I cannot do anymore for him than I already do and still have a life. I do nothing but work and hang out with Chunky and the one time this year I go out without him on a day off he tears up a $1600 chair.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I never let my gang have free run .. for their safety... I’d limit his space... gate in kitchen, bathroom or laundry room... leave door open and get a baby gate fir the door way. He is safe and you know he can’t get into anything

I will look for at getting another doggy gate so I can put it on the mudroom door. I already have one keeping him from going upstairs

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
No my neighbor is a busy recent retiree who I am lucky enough to have let him out as often as he does and I don't trust anyone else with access to my home while I am gone. None of my family that would have more time for him than I do are people I would trust to enter my home without me here. My other neighbors aren't available either. I spend all my time off with him so I am not getting any closer to having a live in girlfriend or even one at all.

This whole ordeal has stressed me out past the level I was already at with my work getting rid of people on top of family issues/drama that never seem too end. They just get worse

I cannot do anymore for him than I already do and still have a life. I do nothing but work and hang out with Chunky and the one time this year I go out without him on a day off he tears up a $1600 chair.

What I meant is can your Neighbour keep him at his house.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

He may be picking up on your stress and becoming anxious... it is hard but try to lessen your stresses or if possible leave the stress at the job. I know, I know, easier said than done

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.