Advise needed!! New puppy pick up

WVbulldog

Apr 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
Recently purchased a puppy from a breeder and my puppy is now 6 weeks old. There were 5 puppies in this litter and 2 of the pups have already been picked up by their new family and the other 2 are being picked up this weekend.
My question is should I pick mine up as well even though it's only 6 weeks? After all all his brothers and sisters will be gone, or should I let him stay with his mom and dad until at least 8 weeks?
Would it be worse on him to be there alone? They do have another litter there from the dad and another female but my pup can't play with them because they are only 3 weeks old. Please let me know what you would do if you were in my shoes....
Thanks

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
I am thinking it’s illegal to let them go before 8 weeks !

OP
W

WVbulldog

Apr 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
Also, the breeder has said it would totally be fine to wait to pick him up at 10 weeks.

Krissie

May 31, 2018
Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Quinn & Ivy
Pretty sure they have to be 8 weeks to be released. I would wait until then

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
IMO, It’s unethical for a breeder to let a puppy go at 6 weeks old. They need to stay with their mom until at least 8 weeks old. 10 weeks would be even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Absolutely unethical and just plain WRONG to allow a puppy to leave before 8 weeks! This breeder is setting up the released puppies and their respective families for a huge problem...BAD/Undesirable BEHAVIOR. These last 2 weeks are extremely important as Mom teaches the puppies the social skills they need to thrive in a home with people and other dogs/pets...8 week minimum.
I'm not suggesting that you do this but if this were my deal, I'd not follow through with it. I would never deal with an unethical breeder.
This breeder is after the $$$ only and cares not about health, behavior, confirmation or anything 'cept the $$$.
There will be issues with these bulldogs.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Absolutely unethical and just plain WRONG to allow a puppy to leave before 8 weeks! This breeder is setting up the released puppies and their respective families for a huge problem...BAD/Undesirable BEHAVIOR. These last 2 weeks are extremely important as Mom teaches the puppies the social skills they need to thrive in a home with people and other dogs/pets...8 week minimum.
I'm not suggesting that you do this but if this were my deal, I'd not follow through with it. I would never deal with an unethical breeder.
This breeder is after the $$$ only and cares not about health, behavior, confirmation or anything 'cept the $$$.
There will be issues with these bulldogs.

Exactly my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would never take a puppy under the age of 8 weeks... we got all our puppies from a breeder at 9-11 weeks, she strongly believes 10 weeks is best, for the babies to be ready to leave momma and the siblings.

OP
W

WVbulldog

Apr 26, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
Well let's talk about my dog specifically, he will be with the mom and dad for 10 weeks but not his siblings. Will he be able to get the needed socialization or will the lack of siblings with him negatively impact future behavior? The last thing I want is a mean or aggressive bulldog.

haile2066

Nov 1, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus and Brando
10 weeks minimal for me, it really helps with the potty training too, the longer you wait. At least that's what I've found with my bullies.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well let's talk about my dog specifically, he will be with the mom and dad for 10 weeks but not his siblings. Will he be able to get the needed socialization or will the lack of siblings with him negatively impact future behavior? The last thing I want is a mean or aggressive bulldog.

I tagged a few members with breeding experience, maybe they can give better insight. I know it is important for them to stay till 8 weeks, for social and behavior reasons, but I'm not sure how much sibling vs. Mom is more important.

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
I as a breeder of both english and french bulldogs would NEVER send a puppy home at 6wks first pups need socialization from both mom and siblings. Plus needed a better immune system all shots per leaving. Sounds like breeder is sick of babies and dumping them as soon as possible. Plus if yours is alone for another couple wks it should be easier on you hopefully when you get it. Hopefully wont be crying at night for its littermates. Good luck.Cant wait to see pics when you get it

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Very unethical breeder there and would not buy a puppy from them as they are definitely in it for just the money and do not care about their pups. A pup should never ever be let go before 8 weeks of age and I think that is too young. We like to keep ours until at least 10 weeks but usually 12 weeks. It cost a little more money on our part, but well worth it for the pups to get the extra weeks of socialization with their siblings and mom. Shame on that so called "breeder".

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Well it is obvious that the pups should not have gone home yet, but I personally would wait even though the littermates are gone. It will help them in the long run to be with the parents--- so long as the breeder is continuing to allow the pup be with parents and is putting in the time they SHOULD to help train your pup to be a great bulldog. That is the biggest question I have is if the breeder let the others go so early what is the plan for this pup? It really is a difficult decision you have now but I wish you and puppy all the best. Please post pictures once they arrive and I personally think you should do what you think is best at this point, good luck on whatever you decide!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.