Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Very very good news...
Bacon may recover much more quickly than you. Ablation with or without drain tube is usually well-healed in a matter of 10 days...add a few more and stitches come out. It takes longer for the humans to get over how nasty/messy the repair looks than it does for the patient to start feeling better which is almost immediate. Keep an eye out for swelling and increased redness...signs of infection. Again, it will take months for the hair to return and fill in but the time and $ spent should be well worth it!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hope Bacon is doing well today!

OP
Ibrakeforbrachys

Ibrakeforbrachys

Dec 6, 2017
Tacoma, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
awww, thanks! He's feeling better every day. He hates the cone but bulldozes his way through everything. ;)

wilson

Feb 12, 2016
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
wilson
Natallia, My Bulldog "Wilson" has both ear canals closed and our Vet. is recommending surgery. Wilson will be eight in Sept 2018. We think that most of his problems are caused by allergies. They also appear to seasonal as is the case with allergies. This spring has been by far the worst for him. We have had him on antibiotics with no improvement. He is now on steroids which appear to help him a lot. I am told that surgery is the long term fix but I am reluctant to put him through it. Do you think that I can keep him on steroids or is surgery the only answer? I would appreciate your opinion.

wilson

Feb 12, 2016
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
wilson
My bulldog Wilson has both ear canals closed and is on steroids which has eased his pain considerably. Wilson will be eight this September. Since you have been through the surgery, do you think it is the only solution? I hate putting him through it. Was the healing painful for Bacon?

wilson

Feb 12, 2016
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
wilson
What is the alternative to the surgery? Steroids are giving Wilson some relief but I guess that is not for the long term?

OP
Ibrakeforbrachys

Ibrakeforbrachys

Dec 6, 2017
Tacoma, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Sorry hon.. Just aw your post. We went with the TECA, because it made sense for us and our situation. Bacon has had multiple and massive infections, and treating them was almost impossible. He is 2 weeks and 3 days post surgery and we are very glad we did it. He's a much happier guy now. You are correct that steroids are not a good long term solution. Talk to your vet, see what you both feel is a good option. ;)

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Steroids are remarkable for short term relief. We've done low dose for long-term if nothing else works...our most recent case was Dozer who was as bad an allergy boy as can be. He lived to 9 years. The availability of Apoquel has changed that thinking.
If your boys ear canals are calcified then his only relief will be surgery. True, long-term relief from the constant headache he's having will not come from steroids.
You might consider Apoquel before going for surgery, however, and if that doesn't do the trick then surgery is your best bet. Unfortunately, anything can happen when performing surgery on a senior dog, Bulldogs being slightly higher risk...but seven+ years is not too old for this surgery if he's in otherwise good shape.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
How's Bacon feeling? I know, at this point, his ears are still looking ravaged but he's healing, I promise. Can he hear anything yet? All of our TECA patients have been able to maintain "some" hearing. Most of them had a little more energy than before surgery. I liken this to being in constant pain, a chronic headache. Once the ablation is done they simply feel better.
Pics would be great if you can.
GL Bacon!

OP
Ibrakeforbrachys

Ibrakeforbrachys

Dec 6, 2017
Tacoma, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Bacon is dong great!! He's definitely feeling better. We have gotten pretty warm here the last couple of days, so he's been lazy from the heat. ;) His ear actually looks really good. We only did one ear, he can hear me out of the other. He does have some permanent paralysis on his face. He doesn't blink his eye very well. We already have him on optimmune for dry eye. I'll post some updated pics tomorrow. ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bacon is dong great!! He's definitely feeling better. We have gotten pretty warm here the last couple of days, so he's been lazy from the heat. ;) His ear actually looks really good. We only did one ear, he can hear me out of the other. He does have some permanent paralysis on his face. He doesn't blink his eye very well. We already have him on optimmune for dry eye. I'll post some updated pics tomorrow. ;)

Great news!!! Hoping he continues to improve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilson

Feb 12, 2016
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
wilson
Hi Did Bacon have both ears done or did they do the second ear at a later?

wilson

Feb 12, 2016
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
wilson
Wilson's op will cost approx. $7000 Canadian for the two ear canals. Just curious as to the cost in the U.S.A ?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson's op will cost approx. $7000 Canadian for the two ear canals. Just curious as to the cost in the U.S.A ?
Not sure of the current exchange rate but that "should" cost half that...even in CA. You might want to shop around a bit more.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Yes living in Canada is extremely expensive for anything and everything. Vets here when they see you with a bully they see $$$$$. Pet insurance is double n triple here. Why I opted for a credit card just for my two brats. Where in Canada are you?

Shop around!!! Also Montreal has the lowest vet fees in Canada. Probably 1/2 of Ontario.i sure would be driving.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4041536/veterinary-pricing-costs-vary-wildly/

Members online

No members online now.