Is High Protein in dog food bad?

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I wanted beef flavor for Nigel and the bag said high protein - I didn't think it would affect him but now he's got diarrhea.

any info would be helpful. thank you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, it can be an issue for some.... what brand and what is the protein levele? Did you slow transition if changing brands?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=3502]NigelsMom[/MENTION] Adult dogs do not need high protein,as a growing pup, or a working dog does. Excess protein is usually "expelled" through the kidneys and urine,thus making the kidneys work harder. I would say his diarrhea could also be from the high protein,Or a new food, too. If you are going to continue it, add some pure pumpkin to his diet.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=3502]NigelsMom[/MENTION] Adult dogs do not need high protein,as a growing pup, or a working dog does. Excess protein is usually "expelled" through the kidneys and urine,thus making the kidneys work harder. I would say his diarrhea could also be from the high protein,Or a new food, too. If you are going to continue it, add some pure pumpkin to his diet.

Great answer, Lynn and spot on.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty

ditto

OP
NigelsMom

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I've been feeding Natural Balance - we started with Salmon and I wanted to give him the beef flavor but noticed it said high protein. Now he's got diarrhea so i wondered if that could be the cause. Guess I'll have to get a bag of the salmon one and not sure what to do with the remainder of this bag.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ok you can ALLLLL roll your eyes :rolleyes: and it’s fine :D. High protein is NOT dangerous for kidneys as food is digested through the liver first then leftover through the kidneys. The problem with protein is that you need to know what “quality “ of protein is needed. You get kibbles with wheat, corn, gluten, cereal or grains etc etc...well you get my drift...Basically, protein base is meat or fish. It just depends on what kind of protein you’re feeding your dog. Today you have better quality kibbles compared to way back when...And yes you do need time for transition. If you can feed raw even better. Here’s a couple of links that will help you n all about the high protein myths, kidney issues and what to feed.

https://www.darwinspet.com/resources/types-of-dog-food/dog-food-kidney-disease/

https://www.pawsomeoldies.com/dog-kidney-diet/

https://www.doglistener.co.uk/high-protein-myth-regarding-dog-food

https://www.truecarnivores.com/high-protein-myth/

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.