Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I feel like I should do my due diligence and give a PSA to everyone saying they want a Frenchie. While I love Jax to death and would never trade him for anything in the world...just know that Frenchies are prone to spine issues and IVDD (on top of allergies and everything else). I'm seeing more and more dogs in the Frenchie Facebook groups I follow with IVDD and having to have surgery and losing all feeling in their back legs. It is heartbreaking. And as most of you know, Jax had surgery last summer and was diagnosed with IVDD and it was not a cheap surgery. He now gets monthly acupuncture treatments but a reoccurrence will always be a possibility.

As with any breed...do your research. Okay, that's all!!

OP
C

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Yep...started down the Bulldog highway in 1994. Several of our bullies were rescues that could not have been placed due to medical reasons or age. It didn't matter to us...Bulldog hospice can only be a good thing :)

There is a very special place in heaven for you my friend

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I feel like I should do my due diligence and give a PSA to everyone saying they want a Frenchie. While I love Jax to death and would never trade him for anything in the world...just know that Frenchies are prone to spine issues and IVDD (on top of allergies and everything else). I'm seeing more and more dogs in the Frenchie Facebook groups I follow with IVDD and having to have surgery and losing all feeling in their back legs. It is heartbreaking. And as most of you know, Jax had surgery last summer and was diagnosed with IVDD and it was not a cheap surgery. He now gets monthly acupuncture treatments but a reoccurrence will always be a possibility.

As with any breed...do your research. Okay, that's all!!

i thank you very much for this. Even though 'I' personally hope to not have another ADORABLE as they are smoosfaced dog, my son in law really wants a frenchie. I will remind him of these things as they have a 9 year old human that would be broken hearted if /when things go wrong, He's under the impression that the frenchies have WAY less issues than our English. Dont get me wrong, im crazy about these smooshies (had pug muts, and my tzus as well) and am one who has mentioned i'd love a frenchie ;) I just prefer a mutt if one happens my way .. and one I can pick up if need be. ;)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
i thank you very much for this. Even though 'I' personally hope to not have another ADORABLE as they are smoosfaced dog, my son in law really wants a frenchie. I will remind him of these things as they have a 9 year old human that would be broken hearted if /when things go wrong, He's under the impression that the frenchies have WAY less issues than our English. Dont get me wrong, im crazy about these smooshies (had pug muts, and my tzus as well) and am one who has mentioned i'd love a frenchie ;) I just prefer a mutt if one happens my way .. and one I can pick up if need be. ;)

Iā€™m not saying all Frenchies have these issues or no one should get one, I just think with any breed, people should do their research and know the potential issues that can come up. Iā€™m not an expert but from what Iā€™ve seen, frenchies have more spine issues than an English would. Bulldogs, French or English are my absolute favorite, they are both an awesome breed. I always say my next dog will be a mutt from a shelter but weā€™ll see about that lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Iā€™m not saying all Frenchies have these issues or no one should get one, I just think with any breed, people should do their research and know the potential issues that can come up. Iā€™m not an expert but from what Iā€™ve seen, frenchies have more spine issues than an English would. Bulldogs, French or English are my absolute favorite, they are both an awesome breed. I always say my next dog will be a mutt from a shelter but weā€™ll see about that lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh sweetie of course not, didnt sound like that at all and was just good info :) I just know that my daughter and fam are still extremely into their travels etc and they are ones that NEED this info (they are just soooooooo hard to leave with someone else) Even if it were me to be the lucky one ;) (im pup sitting their 14 yr old pug as i speak) I would LOVE another smooshie face except..... Im at a point where these guys take a LOT of attention (cleaning, caring for correctly etc) And a pup with less 'heft' behind those legs would be better. lol Thats why i think frenchie but!!!!!!!!!! if another pup comes my way, i would hope to be a rescue of lighter weight, and muttly ;)

Zue10

Mar 24, 2018
Florida
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
Zeus is my first fur baby, but I would love to have a girl in a couple of years.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Oh sweetie of course not, didnt sound like that at all and was just good info :) I just know that my daughter and fam are still extremely into their travels etc and they are ones that NEED this info (they are just soooooooo hard to leave with someone else) Even if it were me to be the lucky one ;) (im pup sitting their 14 yr old pug as i speak) I would LOVE another smooshie face except..... Im at a point where these guys take a LOT of attention (cleaning, caring for correctly etc) And a pup with less 'heft' behind those legs would be better. lol Thats why i think frenchie but!!!!!!!!!! if another pup comes my way, i would hope to be a rescue of lighter weight, and muttly ;)

I know a few that has frenchies n all older n healthy. Iā€™m pretty sure it will be another breed. Either I go big like a dobby or small like a jack Russell. Something that I can walk n hike all day lol.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
My first was a female which I bought when I was 17 and her name was Dixie. She was a dark brindle with some white on her face and lived to be 11. My family had a few small furry dogs which were moms and one half Rottweiler half Chow "Bear" that was mine. I found him in a box with his siblings while leaving a local festival that my town puts on every year but my mother didn't like him and she got rid of him once she realized his size

Chunky is my second bulldog and definitely favorite pet so far

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.