Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
So we went to the vet yesterday.

Murphy was born without a right hip socket. & the left socket isVERY shallow. She pulled up the pictures and before she said anything I looked and said What is wrong with his hips.!!!!!

He has fluid on his knees
And above his spine she canā€™t tell if itā€™s a layer of fat or muscle I believe is what she said.

So...

Pain meds ( I told her to give me a 90 day supply so we donā€™t have to keep coming back and I donā€™t want to run out.

Fish oil pills-which we need to find different ones with the correct amount of everything because the ones I have he gets 4 a day.

We are having him on a diet- different better vet/same place & she even said to lose 20 pounds. Maybe 12-15 but thatā€™s it!!!

We are giving him 2/3 cup of food twice a day. And we are in the stages of switching to the weight management food, so heā€™s still getting his old stuff.
Which is fine he likes it!

It was sad, because I go home everyday at lunch and ask him if he wants lunch ( he knows the words breakfast-lunch-dinner)
And then we potty.
But we went straight outside today and he cocked his head like uhm
MOM! Whereā€™s my noms!

We return in 30 days for a checkup and a weigh in.
Then a weigh in every two weeks.

So with the diet it should relieve the pressure from his hips and the fluid on his knees should go away. And the pain meds dosage should go down as well
I know it wonā€™t ever be 100% perfect
BUt we can do these things and itā€™ll help.

Honestly you look at him and he looks fine. Handsome as ever & he plays and everything!!!!
I mean we make sure he has a comfy bed with pillows so that if he is in pain he has his own area or our bed.

But we spoiled him last night and got him these little squeaky toys. Played for about an hour on the bed, the husband finally took Murphy to his own bed, and from what I was told he got up there & collapsed & started snoring immediately. Lol
So he had fun!!!

4950DCBF-6CA0-4C7D-B56F-1CDFF0DFDB2C.jpeg4950DCBF-6CA0-4C7D-B56F-1CDFF0DFDB2C.jpeg

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Murphy you handsome little devil!! Ellie and I send our best, hope you feel better soon

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Poor thing is only eating 2/3cup twice a day. Thatā€™s not a lot like it is to be on a diet. Only thing I can suggest is off the kibbles completely and get him on raw. Raw youā€™re guaranteed there is no starch nor carbs. He will be able to lose that way. Also will be better for his joints n all. Thatā€™s my 2 cents on his diet. A lot of carbs n starches in food management kibbles.

Raw vs Kibble

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/are-potatoes-good-for-dogs-and-other-questions-about-starch/

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Whatever you do, keep spoiling him rotten.
Concerning the hips...
Keeping him lean is really important. He may eventually need surgery to remove the ball of the hip joint becuase instead of the ball riding comfortably in a normal pelvic socket, it floats around and makes abnormal contact with the socket edges causing pain, lameness. FHO(Femoral Head Osteotomy) surgery is done to remove the ball and allow the leg bone to float with no contact with the pelvis. End of pain. Recovery is rapid...
The patient can resume normal operation within hours...and are encouraged to do so. The worst part of it is the shaved area takes 6 months to grow back. We have done many of these surgeries and have yet to have any complication. Bulldogs, with most of their weight carried up front, are especially good candidates for this procedure. Hoping he never needs it but it's always available if he does.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So we went to the vet yesterday.

Murphy was born without a right hip socket. & the left socket isVERY shallow. She pulled up the pictures and before she said anything I looked and said What is wrong with his hips.!!!!!

He has fluid on his knees
And above his spine she canā€™t tell if itā€™s a layer of fat or muscle I believe is what she said.

So...

Pain meds ( I told her to give me a 90 day supply so we donā€™t have to keep coming back and I donā€™t want to run out.

Fish oil pills-which we need to find different ones with the correct amount of everything because the ones I have he gets 4 a day.

We are having him on a diet- different better vet/same place & she even said to lose 20 pounds. Maybe 12-15 but thatā€™s it!!!

We are giving him 2/3 cup of food twice a day. And we are in the stages of switching to the weight management food, so heā€™s still getting his old stuff.
Which is fine he likes it!

It was sad, because I go home everyday at lunch and ask him if he wants lunch ( he knows the words breakfast-lunch-dinner)
And then we potty.
But we went straight outside today and he cocked his head like uhm
MOM! Whereā€™s my noms!

We return in 30 days for a checkup and a weigh in.
Then a weigh in every two weeks.

So with the diet it should relieve the pressure from his hips and the fluid on his knees should go away. And the pain meds dosage should go down as well
I know it wonā€™t ever be 100% perfect
BUt we can do these things and itā€™ll help.

Honestly you look at him and he looks fine. Handsome as ever & he plays and everything!!!!
I mean we make sure he has a comfy bed with pillows so that if he is in pain he has his own area or our bed.

But we spoiled him last night and got him these little squeaky toys. Played for about an hour on the bed, the husband finally took Murphy to his own bed, and from what I was told he got up there & collapsed & started snoring immediately. Lol
So he had fun!!!

View attachment 112356View attachment 112356

Thanks for the update! Sending lots of love and prayers to your boy.

What weight mgmt. food are you going to? Wondering if you would be open to feeding raw at one meal a day? I switched my guys and seeing the issues go away has been amazing.

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
Thanks for the update! Sending lots of love and prayers to your boy.

What weight mgmt. food are you going to? Wondering if you would be open to feeding raw at one meal a day? I switched my guys and seeing the issues go away has been amazing.

The vet has us doing pro plan vet diet by Purina-overweight management.

Didnā€™t really want to use Putinā€™s but she said it was fine.

I was thinking about raw but not sure

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Thanks for the update on your boy The Murphmeister. I am glad that you know now what is going on with Murphy. We are sending prayers and positive vibes to you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The vet has us doing pro plan vet diet by Purina-overweight management.

Didnā€™t really want to use Putinā€™s but she said it was fine.

I was thinking about raw but not sure

UGH - Purina.... how about The Honest Kitchen? Dehydrated raw... you can buy the complete mix or a base and add your own protein? I used it with great results for my guys and many her did and still do

Members online

No members online now.