BeasleysMom

Apr 22, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beasley
Hey guys, I'm a newbie. Our 8 week old Beasley has been home since Sunday. He's doing great! He only whines at night when he needs to go potty, which is awesome!

I noticed this morning after he went potty and came back in, that he was scratching his front right leg. At first I thought maybe the grass tickled him or itched, but it has continued for about an hour, he keeps scratching. The breeder bathed him before we picked him up, and he isn't dirty, but I don't know what they used to bathe him. I did purchase an oatmeal shampoo for him and am wondering if he needs a bath, or if I need to be watching for something... I just want to make sure we are doing everything right for him.

I don't see a rash, or any skin irritation. I have been feeding him Fromms since we got him. Our vet did say something interesting when I told him we were feeding him Fromms. He mentioned that the food keeps the ph in their urine at a level where bacteria can grow, and it can cause bladder infections. The vet has two bullies of his own, which is why I picked him, I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this, and I have no clue how to identify a bladder infection... I have read so many positive things on here about this food, so I'm not sure.

Thanks for any advice and tips!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hey guys, I'm a newbie. Our 8 week old Beasley has been home since Sunday. He's doing great! He only whines at night when he needs to go potty, which is awesome!

I noticed this morning after he went potty and came back in, that he was scratching his front right leg. At first I thought maybe the grass tickled him or itched, but it has continued for about an hour, he keeps scratching. The breeder bathed him before we picked him up, and he isn't dirty, but I don't know what they used to bathe him. I did purchase an oatmeal shampoo for him and am wondering if he needs a bath, or if I need to be watching for something... I just want to make sure we are doing everything right for him.

I don't see a rash, or any skin irritation. I have been feeding him Fromms since we got him. Our vet did say something interesting when I told him we were feeding him Fromms. He mentioned that the food keeps the ph in their urine at a level where bacteria can grow, and it can cause bladder infections. The vet has two bullies of his own, which is why I picked him, I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this, and I have no clue how to identify a bladder infection... I have read so many positive things on here about this food, so I'm not sure.

Thanks for any advice and tips!

Hmmm. Interesting about the food. We have been using the grain free Fromm Pork and Peas. We used Oatmeal on Bentley and it caused him to itch even more.

As far as the itch..do you see any fleas. Has Beasley been treated for fleas? No rash. Could be anything or nothing. I would monitor. Maybe use a Wipe or Duoxo pad and clean the area.

OP
BeasleysMom

BeasleysMom

Apr 22, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beasley
I thought it was interesting too, kind of wondered if they were trying to sell me something different... They didn't make any suggestions, just mentioned that they had about 4 cases of bulldogs on Fromms getting bladder infections. He seems to like the food, and I've read so many positive things about it, I'm going to keep him on it and see.

I don't see any fleas, he has not been treated yet, not sure what age we are supposed to start that. I will continue to keep an eye on it, and I did buy the Duoxo pads, so I'll wipe him down and see if that helps.

Thank you for the advice!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
We will use Johnson's Baby shampoo for our dogs with sensitive skin...never a problem. For our guys that have a greasier coat/skin we use Dawn Dish detergent...yes, Dawn. It works great and never causes any issues but one must be diligent with the rinsing...rinse thoroughly, then rinse again. Any kind of soap left on the skin and coat(usually under the legs, around the neck, on the belly) will cause skin irritation. Avoid any shampoo with perfumes.
Never heard of Fromm's causing ph issues in urine...I would question that, but I suppose it's possible. Unless your pup develops something, I recommend you keep feeding it. Speaking out against a known, respected food brand like Fromm's is quite a statement.
Did your Vet check your pup's Urine ph? Was it over 7?
If Vet has not tested and you want it tested...
You can catch a sample yourself if needed using a clean soup ladle and store the sample on a clean plastic food storage container. Refrigerate(do not allow to freeze) the sample until you can get it to your Vet for testing.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
This is kind of funny,, well not funny but............ When i am at our other home, that has nice lush real grass (not weeds like here at this home) and is watered often so usually moist, hank comes in itching his front legs often. It's the oddest thing (and i haven't seen bites or anything and hasn't caused rashes either) and so will follow this and see if more comes up with yours.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
We will use Johnson's Baby shampoo for our dogs with sensitive skin...never a problem. For our guys that have a greasier coat/skin we use Dawn Dish detergent...yes, Dawn. It works great and never causes any issues but one must be diligent with the rinsing...rinse thoroughly, then rinse again. Any kind of soap left on the skin and coat(usually under the legs, around the neck, on the belly) will cause skin irritation. Avoid any shampoo with perfumes.
Never heard of Fromm's causing ph issues in urine...I would question that, but I suppose it's possible. Unless your pup develops something, I recommend you keep feeding it. Speaking out against a known, respected food brand like Fromm's is quite a statement.
You can catch a sample yourself if needed using a clean soup ladle and store the sample on a clean plastic food storage container. Refrigerate(do not allow to freeze) the sample until you can get it to your Vet for testing.

One can buy pH test strips at a drugstore (i.e CVS, Walgreens, etc) or even Amazon. Of course one would have a lot of strips becasue they are sold in bulk.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
One can buy pH test strips at a drugstore (i.e CVS, Walgreens, etc) or even Amazon. Of course one would have a lot of strips becasue they are sold in bulk.
Yep, we used to do this but...Vet nowadays will not trust home tests and will always repeat the test using their own staff and strips and... The only thing they will accept from the pup owner is a Visa or MC to charge for THEIR test.
Grrrr.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yep, we used to do this but...Vet nowadays will not trust home tests and will always repeat the test using their own staff and strips and... The only thing they will accept from the pup owner is a Visa or MC to charge for THEIR test.
Grrrr.

Chip..great point. But like an auditor and if I know the answer beforehand, I can tell if the vet is trying to gaslight me.

OP
BeasleysMom

BeasleysMom

Apr 22, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beasley

Great tips on the shampoo! I'm sure I'll have to try some different ones and see what works best for Beasley. Dawn seems to work wonders on many different things...

No, vet did not test his urine, nor did I say anything that might have lead him to think he had a bladder infection. The info. was offered up once I told them I am feeding him Fromm. Beasley doesn't seem to be over urinating, but of course, I'm not quite sure how often is "normal" for him. He drinks water, he pees. He takes a nap, he pees, he plays, he pees. Seems pretty normal to me for an 8 week old puppy.

Thank you!

OP
BeasleysMom

BeasleysMom

Apr 22, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beasley
This is kind of funny,, well not funny but............ When i am at our other home, that has nice lush real grass (not weeds like here at this home) and is watered often so usually moist, hank comes in itching his front legs often. It's the oddest thing (and i haven't seen bites or anything and hasn't caused rashes either) and so will follow this and see if more comes up with yours.

We have st. augustene grass that is lush and watered daily! Maybe it tickles him, I'm not sure, he doesn't seem to be bothered and there is no rash, I'm just going to keep an eye on it. :)

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
'watered often, usually Moist '. Kinda makes me think fungal or yeast

Yeah, watch closely

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
'watered often, usually Moist '. Kinda makes me think fungal or yeast

Yeah, watch closely

Yea, but only it happens right aft being out there, and then thats it. (for Hank anyway) I think mabie a nat or some other little bitter... Just dont know.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We have st. augustene grass that is lush and watered daily! Maybe it tickles him, I'm not sure, he doesn't seem to be bothered and there is no rash, I'm just going to keep an eye on it. :)

Duke my white face one when itā€™s his last pee of the night 10pm, I wake him up as heā€™s always sleeping at that time, he goes pee in his pooping pen in the back of the yard and NEVER fails he starts scratching as soon as he steps on the gravel. Only that specific time he does that. Odd ball. If your dog eats, drink, play, poops n pee, heā€™s sure seems normal as mentioned. Now for the Fromm, I never used it but it is a quality kibble. I presume youā€™re using the puppy one? I also never heard of this ph issue. I always believe before blaming a brand of kibbles for whatever, like in your case, back it up with a urine test. Also, Iā€™ve read from a few members that oatmeal didnā€™t work well for their dogs. Chip is right, Dawn dish soap is great! Just a thought. Maybe the detergent you wash the puppy ā€˜s bedding, floors etc should be checked out. Since summer is around the corner, you may want to add on his collar, on the outside only, a drop or 2 of lavender oil. Keeps fleas n ticks at bay.

OP
BeasleysMom

BeasleysMom

Apr 22, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beasley
Duke my white face one when itā€™s his last pee of the night 10pm, I wake him up as heā€™s always sleeping at that time, he goes pee in his pooping pen in the back of the yard and NEVER fails he starts scratching as soon as he steps on the gravel. Only that specific time he does that. Odd ball. If your dog eats, drink, play, poops n pee, heā€™s sure seems normal as mentioned. Now for the Fromm, I never used it but it is a quality kibble. I presume youā€™re using the puppy one? I also never heard of this ph issue. I always believe before blaming a brand of kibbles for whatever, like in your case, back it up with a urine test. Also, Iā€™ve read from a few members that oatmeal didnā€™t work well for their dogs. Chip is right, Dawn dish soap is great! Just a thought. Maybe the detergent you wash the puppy ā€˜s bedding, floors etc should be checked out. Since summer is around the corner, you may want to add on his collar, on the outside only, a drop or 2 of lavender oil. Keeps fleas n ticks at bay.

I did give him a bath yesterday afternoon, I didn't have any dawn, but I did have J&J baby wash, so I used that and he's stopped scratching! I'm thinking I'll use the baby non scented detergent that I used for my little one when she was a baby and had eczema.

I am using the Fromm grain free puppy formula, pink bag. He seems to like it and is doing just fine on it. I haven't noticed anything odd about him, so I'm sticking with the food for now. I do need to find a new treat for him, he doesn't like his training treats from three dog bakery, it's chicken with carrots, grain free. He spits them out.

Great tip on the lavender! I love using lavender for lots of things, I'll dab some on his collar tonight!

Thank you for the great tips!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.