A little worried - any thoughts before we go to Vet

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Hi all. We had a spell of really warm weather (80 degrees) here so we wanted to take Moose out. We took him to the shore because there was a Bully event and figuring it would be cooler.
When we got there he seemed lethargic. Typically he'd go wild because he want to play with a dog. But the entire time he seemed off and barely walked anywhere.
We came home and he immediately laid down, I figured it was because he had a long day. I picked him up and put him to lay on my chest as always. After a while he tried to move around and crie out a sudden yelp. I immediately reacted and picked him up to put him on the ground thinking something happened. As I was doing that he yelped loudly again.
He typically grunts when trying to get up but now it's pretty loud and I can tell he's struggling.
This morning I came to let him out of his pen and he just sat there, not even excited to see me, not even moving. Took him outside for potty and he would walk 4 steps then sit, and walk another 4 steps. We can home he knew it was feeding time and he darted for the food.
I feel like the only thing he will walk for is what he wants most, food. Otherwise he is lethargic. i tried massaging and feeling out to see what might the pain be and he shows no sign of pain.
I can't think of anything that could have caused this. He slipped on the car ride down as we had to come to a sudden stop while driving. But he gave no indication then he was hurt. On Friday, he tried to skateboard and the board stopped underneath his legs but he recovered fine.

Any thoughts? I am taking him to the vet tmrw.

Mutsch Harvesting

Jan 1, 2016
SOUTH Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brosco
Hi all. We had a spell of really warm weather (80 degrees) here so we wanted to take Moose out. We took him to the shore because there was a Bully event and figuring it would be cooler.
When we got there he seemed lethargic. Typically he'd go wild because he want to play with a dog. But the entire time he seemed off and barely walked anywhere.
We came home and he immediately laid down, I figured it was because he had a long day. I picked him up and put him to lay on my chest as always. After a while he tried to move around and crie out a sudden yelp. I immediately reacted and picked him up to put him on the ground thinking something happened. As I was doing that he yelped loudly again.
He typically grunts when trying to get up but now it's pretty loud and I can tell he's struggling.
This morning I came to let him out of his pen and he just sat there, not even excited to see me, not even moving. Took him outside for potty and he would walk 4 steps then sit, and walk another 4 steps. We can home he knew it was feeding time and he darted for the food.
I feel like the only thing he will walk for is what he wants most, food. Otherwise he is lethargic. i tried massaging and feeling out to see what might the pain be and he shows no sign of pain.
I can't think of anything that could have caused this. He slipped on the car ride down as we had to come to a sudden stop while driving. But he gave no indication then he was hurt. On Friday, he tried to skateboard and the board stopped underneath his legs but he recovered fine.

Any thoughts? I am taking him to the vet tmrw.

Poor thing.
He could have torn ligament . Does he plop down fast to sit like he wants to take pressure off of hind legs?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would get him to the vet for a good check over... it's hard to tell w/bulldogs. They normally have a HIGH pain tolerance, and he could've hurt himself before the road trip. Keep us posted!!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
WENT BACK INTO YOUR EARLIER POSTS AND FOUND THAT
MOOSE WAS LIMPING IN LATE FEB. SO DEFINATELY TAKE
HIM TO AN EXPERIENCED BULLY VET FOR FULL EXAM. I'D
GET XRAYS AS IT SOUNDS AS IF SOMETHING IS GOING ON
JUDGING FROM PAST HISTORYS AND WORSENING OVER
TIME. BETTER TO CATCH IT NOW THAN RISK DAMAGE TO
SPINE, HIPS OR KNEES.

ALSO, 80* IS VERY RISKY FOR ANY BULLDOG TO OVERHEAT
AND DIE. IT HAPPENS FAST AND ONCE IT HAPPENS THEY' GO
DOWNHILL VERY QUICKY. HUMIDITY UPS THE RISK. ONCE IT'S
72* , POTTY & VERY BRIEF WALKS IN EARLY AM & LATE PM. IN
TEXAS IT CAN BE 80 PLUS DEGREES AT 10:00 AT NIGHT! I KEEP
MY HOUSE AT 72* INSIDE MY HOME WITH CEILING OR FLOOR
FANS ON OR CAMI STARTS PANTING. IT SOUNDS A BIT MUCH
BUT MOT WITH ANY FLAT FACED BREED, THEY CAN'T DRAW AIR
IN TO COOL DOWN AND MANY HAVE NARROW WINDPIPES TOO.
BE SARE RATHER THAN SORRY :)

PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW MOOSE'S VISIT GOES, BEST WISHES!

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
WENT BACK INTO YOUR EARLIER POSTS AND FOUND THAT
MOOSE WAS LIMPING IN LATE FEB. SO DEFINATELY TAKE
HIM TO AN EXPERIENCED BULLY VET FOR FULL EXAM. I'D
GET XRAYS AS IT SOUNDS AS IF SOMETHING IS GOING ON
JUDGING FROM PAST HISTORYS AND WORSENING OVER
TIME. BETTER TO CATCH IT NOW THAN RISK DAMAGE TO
SPINE, HIPS OR KNEES.

ALSO, 80* IS VERY RISKY FOR ANY BULLDOG TO OVERHEAT
AND DIE. IT HAPPENS FAST AND ONCE IT HAPPENS THEY' GO
DOWNHILL VERY QUICKY. HUMIDITY UPS THE RISK. ONCE IT'S
72* , POTTY & VERY BRIEF WALKS IN EARLY AM & LATE PM. IN
TEXAS IT CAN BE 80 PLUS DEGREES AT 10:00 AT NIGHT! I KEEP
MY HOUSE AT 72* INSIDE MY HOME WITH CEILING OR FLOOR
FANS ON OR CAMI STARTS PANTING. IT SOUNDS A BIT MUCH
BUT MOT WITH ANY FLAT FACED BREED, THEY CAN'T DRAW AIR
IN TO COOL DOWN AND MANY HAVE NARROW WINDPIPES TOO.
BE SARE RATHER THAN SORRY :)
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=734640
PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW MOOSE'S VISIT GOES, BEST WISHES!

It was warm by where w live, but down at the beach it was more like 50 and windy.
I think it is one of his back legs. He had never cried out in pain when he was limping back in February. Today he has already ried out several times and I can tell something is wrong. He is just not himself. Here are a few videos maybe someone can tell just by his way of walking or moving. Is there anything I can do to test out which leg/arm it is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaPzJcUV5RM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrdE497U7b4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiIhfQf-_OE

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
POOR MOOSE!, IF HE'S CRYING LIKE THAT, HE'S
SUFFERING AS BULLDOGS TOLERATE A LOT AND
ARE SO STOIC. CRATE HIM- IF YOU DON'T HAVE
ONE, THEN THE BATH OR BEDRM & ISOLATED &
QUIET. LET HIM BE AS STILL AS POSSIBLE., TAKE
FOOD/WATER TO HIM, ETC.

I'M LOW VISION AND COULDN'T TELL FROM VIDEO.
OTHERS HERE CAN HELP WITH THAT BUT I WOULD
TRY TO TAKE HIM INTO AN ER CLINIC TODAY SO
THEY CAN RX APPROPRIATE PAIN MEDS.

PRAYING MOOSE JUST HAS A BAD SPRAIN (WHICH
CAN REALLT HURT)...KEEP US INFORMED, PLEASE.

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
An update.
I'm fairly certain the issue is with his right back leg. He was napping with me on the bed and I got up to put him on the ground. When I place him down I put his back legs down first and then his front body. I saw that he let his left foot touch the ground first and kind of held the right leg up. As a slowly let both legs touch the ground and hadn't even started to put down his front body he gave out a cry.

What could it possibly be? ACL? Hip dysplasia? I don't even know how he got injured. Here are his current symptoms:
- Narrow stance with back legs when standing
- Walks short distances then sits down
- Sits weird compared to his usual stance as per the picture below
- Cries out when putting him down, but will walk fine with no signs of pain
- massaged and maneuvered everywhere on his body and has shown no signs of pain

This is how he's sitting now. 20180415_170951.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
An update.
I'm fairly certain the issue is with his right back leg. He was napping with me on the bed and I got up to put him on the ground. When I place him down I put his back legs down first and then his front body. I saw that he let his left foot touch the ground first and kind of held the right leg up. As a slowly let both legs touch the ground and hadn't even started to put down his front body he gave out a cry.

What could it possibly be? ACL? Hip dysplasia? I don't even know how he got injured. Here are his current symptoms:
- Narrow stance with back legs when standing
- Walks short distances then sits down
- Sits weird compared to his usual stance as per the picture below
- Cries out when putting him down, but will walk fine with no signs of pain
- massaged and maneuvered everywhere on his body and has shown no signs of pain

This is how he's sitting now. View attachment 112068

I’m thinking back right... he os favoring it and limiting the use... my be torn ACL [emoji20]

Vet check and keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
If you look at the first video, the left back leg goes inward when walking. A vet is needed for sure.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I'll have a guess...
bilateral hip dysplasia
FHO surgery
Moose like new!

Just a guess...I sure hope it's something that a few days of crate rest can cure.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Poor moose....:(
It's hard to tell from the video but it seems like he's not really limping on either leg so much. Looks like to me his hips or spine is hurting him. Prayers for you all and please keep us posted.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Sorry, nothing to add beyond the experts that have chimed in. BUT I will add my prayers for Moose!!! Please keep us posted.

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Thank you for your prayers and positive vibes.
The situation got drastically worse I feel. At night he wouldn't lay down because he was in so much pain. Any movement caused him to cry out. We spoke to the breeder and gave him low dose 81mg Bayer Aspirin to help with the pain. In the middle of the night he started panting. I ended up sleeping with him on the floor for a good 3 hours or so.
This morning he got up and has stood on his feet for the last hour. We are waiting for the vet to open at 8 and taking him to the doctor. I will keep you all posted.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Thank you for your prayers and positive vibes.
The situation got drastically worse I feel. At night he wouldn't lay down because he was in so much pain. Any movement caused him to cry out. We spoke to the breeder and gave him low dose 81mg Bayer Aspirin to help with the pain. In the middle of the night he started panting. I ended up sleeping with him on the floor for a good 3 hours or so.
This morning he got up and has stood on his feet for the last hour. We are waiting for the vet to open at 8 and taking him to the doctor. I will keep you all posted.

Oh my goodness!! Hugs to you all.....you must be so scared, praying for a simple fix for Moose!!! Look forward to your post when you're finished at the vet. LOVE YA MOOSE!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online