montag

Feb 24, 2018
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Duff
Teaching Duff to go down stairs.

Hi all, 17 week old Duff has no problem going down our 2 or 3 porch steps but he won't even attempt to come down our main house stairs from 2nd floor to first. Of course, he loves going upstairs on his own to visit is girlfriend guinea pig but won't come down on his own. And by the way his putting on weight, we won't be able to carry him much longer. :D We've tried one step at a time with treats but he has little interest in treats. Any other suggestions?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Teaching Duff to go down stairs.

Hi all, 17 week old Duff has no problem going down our 2 or 3 porch steps but he won't even attempt to come down our main house stairs from 2nd floor to first. Of course, he loves going upstairs on his own to visit is girlfriend guinea pig but won't come down on his own. And by the way his putting on weight, we won't be able to carry him much longer. :D We've tried one step at a time with treats but he has little interest in treats. Any other suggestions?

I would carry them down stairs till they are at least 5-6 months old. the pounding of the steps can cause issues since the bones are still very soft. I know, I know... they are heavy buggers, but you will be thankful in the end.

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
We had the same issue with Moose. He is now just over 6 months old and went down a full flight of stairs for the first time. We had to coax him with treats and he was very hesitant at first. Once he made it all the way down he was like "wait I can do this" and went up and down the stairs at least 3 times. Just keep at it and one day he will be brave enough and do it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks all. We have put off stair training for a few more months and have been carrying this fat-boy downstairs every morning! :D

excellent idea!

Dundeered

Jul 10, 2021
Country
Scotland
Bulldog(s) Names
Geoff
I had same issue with Geoff , he wouldn’t walk down stairs from 1st floor to ground . I had to pick him up and carry him. When got to 5 months I could still lift him but he would then struggle. One day I put treats all the way down and off he went next day every second step and so on until he just went himself. There are still times I have to sit on 3rd step and give him some encouragement.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.