Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Was reading that Rosemary is in some dog foods, and can cause seizures.

When Veterinarians reported that a particular pet food caused neurological problems in cats, testing found that one batch lacked Vitamin B1 (thiamine) but the real culprit in cat and dog food ingredients may be rosemary extract, a natural neurotoxin.​
Adverse reactions, including seizures, or other symptoms may be delayed which complicates accurate diagnosis. Seizures, allergies, and brain function problems are on the rise since pet food companies began adding rosemary extracts and other ingredients not meant for carnivores. Very few veterinarians are aware that rosemary or other herbs present a danger. Many vets don’t even realize that herbs have become a popular pet food ingredient.​
According to Mombu.com/medicine, "ROSEMARY EXTRACT: Flavoring. PAE: illness. An ounce can cause death" (PAE indicates potential adverse affects). We already know that rosemary extract can cause seizures in cats and small dogs, so it is possible that large dogs will also experience adverse effects depending on the ratio ingested. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Sans-Serif] Sadly, a vet may begin treatment for epilepsy without ever suspecting the real cause for seizures . While Phenobarbital will control or reduce seizures, the animal continues to consume the ingredient and neurological damage continues.

by Nel Liquorman
[/FONT]

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I have read arguments on both sides about Rosemary. Who to believe. I called Victor's when I was feeding that and it is such a minute amount in the food that I decided I was not going to worry about it. What you have to watch for are the artificial preservatives. Natural preservatives are OK and preservatives are needed to extend the life of the fat or oils.
I have come to the conclusion that there is always going to be something to be concerned about so you do the best you can.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I believe it cause seizures in *some* dogs. for my Shih Tzu it did :( It was only when her system went down did it start to cause issues though. And in varing amounts it ment today was going to be seizure day or if left out (and no other big trigger), she would not. It took time to find out and bless her heart had to deal with mild ones till i got it together. Boy i miss that girl :(

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I believe it cause seizures in *some* dogs. for my Shih Tzu it did :( It was only when her system went down did it start to cause issues though. And in varing amounts it ment today was going to be seizure day or if left out (and no other big trigger), she would not. It took time to find out and bless her heart had to deal with mild ones till i got it together. Boy i miss that girl :(

I;m so sorry, Jill...big hugs of love on their way (((Jill)))

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you, Lynn, this makes me so mad & sad. So much unnessacery CRAP
in their food now!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
It’s the “oil” form you need to watch n not as herb fresh type. Oils are always more potent. Basically rosemary in dog food is a pathogen-fighter against common food bacteria so the food won’t rot n then eaten.... IMO i see it more on the healthier size. Crap tons of dog food contains BHA or BHT...even tons of cereal boxes you eat everyday has it....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.