Do Nare issues = Palate issues?

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
Just a general question: Do dogs with stenotic nares always also have elongated soft palates?

Bug has both and we're wondering for the future if we decide to get another EB. Many of the photos of the puppies I have seen advertised through the AKC website look to have stenotic nares (in my non-expert opinion). Her breeder was focused on good eyes and tails (which we appreciate) and we didn't even think of nares. Don't get me wrong - we love her dearly and do not regret having her. I'm just curious.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Good question. We had to have both operated on for Monty.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sure does impact it. Our vet told us of a study that did identify puppies having narrs widened at age of 14-16 weeks lessened the stress on palate and heart.

We did Lambeau at 16 weeks... no at 3 yrs, no palate issues and he doesnā€™t snore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
LoveBug

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
Sure does impact it. Our vet told us of a study that did identify puppies having narrs widened at age of 14-16 weeks lessened the stress on palate and heart.

We did Lambeau at 16 weeks... no at 3 yrs, no palate issues and he doesnā€™t snore

We really wanted to get Bugs done younger but we need an "all clear" with her pneumonia before she can have the surgery (or any non-life threatening surgery). She will most likely be 6 months.

K9ldy

May 21, 2017
TN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OZZIE
Ozzie had his nares done at 8 months when he was neutered. No palate issues. When I first got Ozzie at 3 months his nares were fine. As he grew they got smaller.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We really wanted to get Bugs done younger but we need an "all clear" with her pneumonia before she can have the surgery (or any non-life threatening surgery). She will most likely be 6 months.

Still can give some stress relief... it used to be they waited for severe issues or till age two

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=18186]LoveBug[/MENTION] Two of my dogs(full sisters) had to have theirs nares done-but neither one had palate issues(vet checked while they were "under")

pauline

Dec 30, 2017
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Hobson
How do you know if they need doing? Hobson snores a lot and pants a lot when we walk him even though its not hot, my vet said that he has very narrow nostrils.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
nares.jpg NARES--on the left are too narrow, on the right is correct. [MENTION=17912]pauline[/MENTION] If your Vet knows Bulldogs, he can correct the nares, and check palate while dog is under anesthetic. If he does not know about EBD's, find a Dr. who does.

OP
LoveBug

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
How do you know if they need doing? Hobson snores a lot and pants a lot when we walk him even though its not hot, my vet said that he has very narrow nostrils.

Our vet suggested we see a vet that has more experience with bulldogs to find out if Bug needed hers done. We found a vet (through this site) about an hour &1/2 away (we are pretty rural where we live so all of the recommended vets are a bit of a drive from us) and took her in for a consult. Turns out she does need them done (and mostly soft palate as well based on her breathing they said).

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Our vet suggested we see a vet that has more experience with bulldogs to find out if Bug needed hers done. We found a vet (through this site) about an hour &1/2 away (we are pretty rural where we live so all of the recommended vets are a bit of a drive from us) and took her in for a consult. Turns out she does need them done (and mostly soft palate as well based on her breathing they said).

I love my vet and heā€™s right on the border of Mukilteo/Lynnwood which isnā€™t too far when youā€™re coming off the ferry.

LJJ86

Feb 4, 2018
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Jasper
Jasper had nares and palate done at 5 months at the same time as his neuter. Apparently he had a little elongation but not a huge amount. They also x rayed and examined when he was under and he does have a very narrow larynx and slightly everted larygeal saccules but the vet notes say they felt they could be left alone.

For the record he did snore and still does snore like a train! He did have random coughs though before the op and they are 99% gone now.

OP
LoveBug

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
I love my vet and heā€™s right on the border of Mukilteo/Lynnwood which isnā€™t too far when youā€™re coming off the ferry.

We're on the far north end of the island so we often take the bridge. We love our vet too and we love the fact that he (and his partner) consult with WSU and main land vets all the time. He sees EBD and FBDs but he wasn't comfortable doing the nares and palate surgery. The vet who is doing her surgery is out of Seattle and has done 100s of them and she uses the laser which we are pleased about. She works with a clinic in Everett as well as ER surgeries.

OT: the ferry lines these days are so long in the morning it takes more time just to make sure you are in line early enough to get on the right boat :bitching:

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.