retractible leash

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
does anybody use a retractible leash on their bully?

I use one for my Boston, but Ty really, really pulls hard sometimes, especially if he see's a squirrel, so I'm not sure it would hold up. Would it?

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
In my opinion, they should be banned! I have seen too many dogs pull away from their owners with the owner not having proper control and the dog is out in the street before you know it. They can also pull the handle part right out of your hand. It scares me to death every time I drive by someone using one. Please don't use one :pray:

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Iā€™ve never heard anything good about retractable leashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I am sooooooooooooooo against them leash. IMO, shouldnā€™t be used period. My GS almost grabbed a dog on them retraclible leashes cause it snucked up on him n me. If I wasnā€™t paying attention that little dog would of become Majors toy. Not only that, sometimes Im peddling my bike and we have some double sidewalks here for joggers n bikers, I often come across seeing a dog on them leashes coming out of nowhere in front of me. You basically can put your dog in harms way. All dogs should be walked on your left side of your leg. Legally in some of our provinces if anything happens to your dog cause it was on them leashes, youā€™re responsible. Longest leashes accepted is 6ā€™ only. I see often owners not giving a damm and lets their dog go further to poop on peopleā€™s property and never pick up. The problem with them leashes youā€™re giving permission to your dog to be the boss in the front. EB or any big powerful dog usually has the strength sitting in their chest. If they decide for no reason chase something n they are on them retractible cords.... youā€™re ā€œdoneā€. Why put your dog at risk or someone elseā€™s dog and especially a young child?

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
does anybody use a retractible leash on their bully?

I use one for my Boston, but Ty really, really pulls hard sometimes, especially if he see's a squirrel, so I'm not sure it would hold up. Would it?

I think they should be illegal. Years ago my husband let our terrier run behind me when she was on a retractable. I had a painful welt:leash burn across the back of my leg for weeks

OP
C

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I think they should be illegal. Years ago my husband let our terrier run behind me when she was on a retractable. I had a painful welt:leash burn across the back of my leg for weeks

how did that happen?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I hate those things. Never would even use them for my toy poodles.

OP
C

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
In my opinion, they should be banned! I have seen too many dogs pull away from their owners with the owner not having proper control and the dog is out in the street before you know it. They can also pull the handle part right out of your hand. It scares me to death every time I drive by someone using one. Please don't use one :pray:
that's why I asked.

the one I use for Cricket (boston) has a lock, where I can adjust how far away she goes. I'm affraid his pull force would just pop it, I wonder if they make different strengths?

we like to walk in the pasture sometimes, and he wants more freedom to explore than his regular 4' leash, whereas Cricket has 16'

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I first learned about these things years ago when we had a greyhound and I didn't know any better! It too had a lock and she took off and yanked the whole thing out of my husband's hand. Ever try to catch a greyhound?!!! It went straight in the rubbish. When we took Chumly for a walk in the UK across fields, we used a long lead (15ft) similar to this:

https://www.leashboss.com/collectio...ducts/15-foot-1-inch-nylon-dog-training-leash. I should add, ours was not nylon, it was some kind of webbing so not slick.

When walking on the road I just wrapped it around my hand a couple of times and the rest in loops. Much safer.

SMammers816

Nov 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner, Cooper
So I have both... I have a 6ft leash and the long retractable one too. I do use the retractable leash for most of Gunner's walks, but please keep in mind I'm always fully aware of our surroundings. If others are around, I always bring him close to me. That being said, I do see the other posters points about if the leash should break... I need to give that some thought. There are time where we walk him when no one is around and he has a bit more freedom to roam. If we are ever in public... going to the park, the groomers, the pet food store or public places of business where dogs are accepted, I use the 6ft leash. For us it is a balance and knowing the correct setting for both.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
OMG! Never thought about this kind of things:ashamed:I use retractable all Tanks life. But I must say that he is the nicest personality dog I ever had - he never pulls, he isnā€™t interested in squirrels (he is kind of slowpoke and doesnā€™t even notice or hear them, once we met in the forest 3 deers and poor fattie didnā€™t even notice them) and he likes to sniff with other doggies, but if I say no he will stop and come back to me, because he is a bit of a coward and after initial interest and sniffing other dogs start to growl, so Tank comes closer to mom:Deven if he wiggles out of collar he always stops and comes to me. But I guess Iā€™m just very lucky with this. I also donā€™t use harness because it shaves his fur in the armpits and he is so docile he always comes to me even if the collar comes off.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
We recommend against them for the bullies we place. They can be stripped and one can lose control of their dog. We do, however, use them for our guys when we go to the beach and let them go in the ocean.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We recommend against them for the bullies we place. They can be stripped and one can lose control of their dog. We do, however, use them for our guys when we go to the beach and let them go in the ocean.

I use them straps youā€™ll strap down a sofa behind your truck etc. I buy 2 real hiking clips n sew one at each end. Find itā€™s safer as itā€™s thicker n more sturdy n you get the length you want.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.