Thoughts on peanut butter?

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Tucker continues on his medication regimen, and after the first week, he was no longer fooled by me mixing his pills in with his food. There is one pill in particular that is an elongated gel capsule that indicates I must use gloves when handling. When I open the blister pack, it has a terrible odor. In order for him to take it, I've been dipping it into about 1/4 - 1/2 of a teaspoon of peanut butter. I have noticed he is getting a small crusty area near his right flank. Could it be caused by the peanut butter? I'm feeding him Merrick Texas T-bone with Sweet Potato, so I'm thinking it shouldn't be that?

A picture really wouldn't show much. It's just a small area with crusty fur.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
When I give pills, I use raw almond butter. Only ingredient is raw almonds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SMammers816

Nov 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner, Cooper
I wrap my boy's meds in cheese... I form it around the pill. Its the only way he will take it. He caught on to the peanut butter and would lick it all off and spit out the pill. Grrrrr! LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Tucker continues on his medication regimen, and after the first week, he was no longer fooled by me mixing his pills in with his food. There is one pill in particular that is an elongated gel capsule that indicates I must use gloves when handling. When I open the blister pack, it has a terrible odor. In order for him to take it, I've been dipping it into about 1/4 - 1/2 of a teaspoon of peanut butter. I have noticed he is getting a small crusty area near his right flank. Could it be caused by the peanut butter? I'm feeding him Merrick Texas T-bone with Sweet Potato, so I'm thinking it shouldn't be that?

A picture really wouldn't show much. It's just a small area with crusty fur.

Is the fur falling of with a scab?

I use watermelon to hide pills or vanilla ice cream... both are cold so they usually just swallow as i only use enough to cover pills

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Is the fur falling of with a scab?

I use watermelon to hide pills or vanilla ice cream... both are cold so they usually just swallow as i only use enough to cover pills

I can peel the fur off with the scab. I did that once and put witch hazel on it twice a day, but it came back and seemed a tad bigger. He loves watermelon, but I think it would take one try and then he would figure it out. He gets 3 of those pills a day.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Ask your vet, or a pharmacist, if the med is made in a different form (liquid, gel)

Izzy was on a med for her liver issues, it was a huge sized pill, after struggling with her for about 2 months, I asked the vet tech and sure enough, the med was available in an elixir form

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I can peel the fur off with the scab. I did that once and put witch hazel on it twice a day, but it came back and seemed a tad bigger. He loves watermelon, but I think it would take one try and then he would figure it out. He gets 3 of those pills a day.

He might have a low level staph infection ... vet check to confirm

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
He might have a low level staph infection ... vet check to confirm

Geez, I hope not! I think that pill is an immunosuppressant, and he cannot take antibiotics. However, the good news is that he is going for blood work on Friday and I will ask the vet then. The even better news is, he is getting some of his bossiness back!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You've been given some good ideas to give him his meds. I don't think the peanut butter would cause these sores, but maybe it could be a side affect of the meds themselves? I would ask the vet to,look at the sore, and maybe take a scraping of it to determine what type of sore it is. If it is some type of bacterial infection or just an allergic reaction.
Just be careful and read the label of your peanut butter. Some peanut butters contain Xylitol which is toxic to dogs and can be fatal.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Geez, I hope not! I think that pill is an immunosuppressant, and he cannot take antibiotics. However, the good news is that he is going for blood work on Friday and I will ask the vet then. The even better news is, he is getting some of his bossiness back!

Staph is usually a sign of low immune:(

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I too doubt that the PB is causing the hair loss.
FWIW, we used to used PB but switched to EZCheese years ago. We load up whenever it goes on sale.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Nothing can fool Tank, he will eat what’s around and carefully spit out the tablet. Even worse, after couple of days of taking tablets, he already knows I’m preparing them and starts to drool in advance very sticky and foamy saliva, which is super slippery and helps him to get rid of tablets. So my method is to secretly take a tablet, then unexpectedly grab poor boy, open his mouth and put the tablet in his throat as far as I manage and then I hold his face up (he usually sits on his butt) and when You hold the face up for several seconds, so the throat is kind of extended, dog will involuntarily swallow several times, it’s a natural reflex. But of course, some dogs won’t tolerate this type of treatment, it is ok only with docile dogs. But I can trust Tank, he will never bite me. After torture I always give him treats.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.