2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great to be planning ahead.... cooling mat , vest or collar should only be used when you are with him. A member here had her pup eat some and it was a very scary situation... all ended well but just wanted to mention it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
LoveBug

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
Here on Long Island it gets real hot/humid in the summer and part of the fall. Back in 2007 the summer came early before I could get the window ACs in and we lost our boy Mack. I can never forgive myself for it and since then we have always made sure they had AC. In fact we bit the bullet and had central ac installed for our babies last year. We do enjoy it too, but I will do whatever I have to to make sure they are comfortable.

I am so sorry for your loss :tissue: That is what I am so afraid of. Central AC is not going to happen for us at this time but I do have the portable AC ready to go. The past few years our summer time temps have gone up and lasted longer than normal.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Cooling towels, fans, and portable ACs are the way to go. Very good that you are aware of what can happen. When it does happen it's rapid decline. You cannot let your guard down for a second.
FWIW, we will not place a Bulldog in a home without AC...but this area is much warmer and than where you are.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Here on Long Island it gets real hot/humid in the summer and part of the fall. Back in 2007 the summer came early before I could get the window ACs in and we lost our boy Mack. I can never forgive myself for it and since then we have always made sure they had AC. In fact we bit the bullet and had central ac installed for our babies last year. We do enjoy it too, but I will do whatever I have to to make sure they are comfortable.

Your words made me weep for such a terrible tragedy that resulted
in your beloved Mack's death but even worse, that you won't forgive
yourself, it would break Mack's heart to know how YOU suffer. I've held
unforgiveness against my own self and so know the destructive and
corrosive evil it does to your spirit. I'm sure you readily forgive others,
please extend to yourself the same grace. I will keep you in my prayers.

Welcome to EBN, you'll like it here :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

(((Hugs)))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
We just had our 1st 100 degree day today. I'm thinking of buying an air conditioned dog house. I cannot imagine my dog stuck inside the house all day for the next 6-7 months. He really loves being outside. I wish we lived somewhere cooler.

OP
LoveBug

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
We just had our 1st 100 degree day today. I'm thinking of buying an air conditioned dog house. I cannot imagine my dog stuck inside the house all day for the next 6-7 months. He really loves being outside. I wish we lived somewhere cooler.

I'm probably not the best person to give advice but I'm going to anyway :p I just watched a segment on the Georgia Bulldog mascot - he does have an air conditioned dog house on the sidelines, however, they have to make him go in it. Bulldogs don't self regulate (ie they don't know they are getting too hot) and once they get to hot they go down fast as [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] said above. Some members here say they let their dogs have supervised time out of doors in the cooler morning or evening hours or time in a kiddie pool in the shade. And Holy Cow where do you live that's a 100 degrees already?? :bigeyes:

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
I live in Eastern WA and it gets really hot over here. We put a window AC in the front room and when it's going to be miserably hot we program it to come on after the noon hour. That way it starts cooling before it gets too hot. We have a portable AC in the bedroom, which the bullies graciously share with my husband and I. ;) That one we turn on at night.

They seem to be fine with it. Keep all blinds closed, of course. Otherwise, I just make sure they have fresh water and as long as the doors stay closed and aren't opened over and over again, it stays cool enough for the two babies.

OP
LoveBug

LoveBug

Mar 29, 2018
Western Washington State
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bug
I live in Eastern WA and it gets really hot over here. We put a window AC in the front room and when it's going to be miserably hot we program it to come on after the noon hour. That way it starts cooling before it gets too hot. We have a portable AC in the bedroom, which the bullies graciously share with my husband and I. ;) That one we turn on at night.

They seem to be fine with it. Keep all blinds closed, of course. Otherwise, I just make sure they have fresh water and as long as the doors stay closed and aren't opened over and over again, it stays cool enough for the two babies.

I cannot imagine living in E WA without central AC - you are much braver than me!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

As [MENTION=18186]LoveBug[/MENTION] said, bulldogs LOVE to sunbathe and I know that my Chumly would have sunbathed himself to death given the opportunity. There is no way in hell I would leave my bulldog outside unsupervised in warm weather, A/C doghouse or not. Monty at least has the sense to get in the shade but even so, he wouldn't last long at all here in the Texas heat. Sorry to be so blunt, but that is a risk not worth taking.

I too would like to know what area you are in to have those temps already! I am with you wishing to live somewhere cooler, I hate the summers here.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Agreeing with [MENTION=18186]LoveBug[/MENTION] & [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION], it is NOT worth the risk!
It is something that happens so fast and to experienced bulldog owners
as well as inexperienced ones. Once they overheat it is brutally quick :(
If they are lucky enough to survive they are always at risk to overheat
again. Some have died in lower temps (72*) but high humidity. I'm also
against doggy doors, bullies have died because they don't know
they are too hot and won't go back inside but lay too long in the sun.
Better to use a petsitter to let them outside for potty breaks if alone long
hours. Peace & love to all.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm late to the game on answering this one but I have a suggestion! Lol We used to keep chinchillas and they can overheat easily as well but are massive chewers. We used to keep ceramic tiles to put in their cages that they could lay on when they get too hot. I would buy a few ceramic tiles (the large ones) and either toss them in the fridge for a bit or set them in cold water. Then just set them on the floor. No chewing, no mess :)

Good luck with the heat. You are good for thinking ahead!

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I'm late to the game on answering this one but I have a suggestion! Lol We used to keep chinchillas and they can overheat easily as well but are massive chewers. We used to keep ceramic tiles to put in their cages that they could lay on when they get too hot. I would buy a few ceramic tiles (the large ones) and either toss them in the fridge for a bit or set them in cold water. Then just set them on the floor. No chewing, no mess :)

Good luck with the heat. You are good for thinking ahead!

That's a really good idea! And I have extra ceramic tiles in my garage so this is perfect. I live in Phoenix. To me anything below 100 is not even hot. So it was a surprise how low of a tolerance Bulldogs have to heat.

Staff online

Members online