Excessive tearing

Reggietheveggie

Nov 6, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Reginald
Hey guys, my little man is 7month old and from the day we brought him home he's had comctamt tearing :( other than when he sleeps. We've tried 4 different foods, got rid of cleaning products, had his eyelashes checked, steamed the house, wash all his bedding in nonbio... and still, constant tearing :( it doesn't stop. Any more ideas on what I can try? I feel so sorry for him! Thank you!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
He may have environmental allergies. Have you tried Benedryl?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep.. environmental allergies. Lambeau has the same thing and I’ve done all you have even switched to raw food.. still constantly tears... vet checked and nothing is wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Reggietheveggie

Reggietheveggie

Nov 6, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Reginald
Ahhh thank you guys! I'll try Benadryl..does it ever stop? Hoping he grows out of it but I'm guessing the chances are slim. Thank you guys so much!

OP
Reggietheveggie

Reggietheveggie

Nov 6, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Reginald
Well I live in the UK so that's why I wasn't sure about environmental allergies because it's constantly winter here so wasn't sure what airborne things were about! But it seems to be my last choice haha! Definitely going to try Benadryl! :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Has the vet checked for entropion? That causes excessive tearing as well. That’s causing my guys awful tear stains.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Has the vet checked for entropion? That causes excessive tearing as well. That’s causing my guys awful tear stains.

She did say she had his eyelashes checked-so I assumed that she meant entropion-but good thought!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
She did say she had his eyelashes checked-so I assumed that she meant entropion-but good thought!

So the first thing I did was have Louie's eyelashes checked and the vet said his eyelashes were fine but that it was his lower lids rolling in slightly blocking the tear ducts and causing the tearing. Maybe that is called something else? I have no idea!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Mine had top and bottom-I am thinking either/or is entropion.

OP
Reggietheveggie

Reggietheveggie

Nov 6, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Reginald
Hey guys sorry! Yeah I asked them to look at his eyes and they said he was fine, I'm going to give Benadryl a try and if not I'll take him back for another look.. even me looking tho, his eyelashes don't go inwards and his eyelids too and bottom seem good too �� But something I did think about, when the breeder had him he didn't tear at all, and from the day of us bringing him home he's been constantly tearing:/ so thinking it must be something round our home? ��

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
...from the day of us bringing him home he's been constantly tearing:/ so thinking it must be something round our home? ��
What specific food are you feeding that little guy?

OP
Reggietheveggie

Reggietheveggie

Nov 6, 2017
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Reginald
The breeder had him on royal canin, so he was on it for a short while with us but I didn't like all the additives in it so we transition him onto wainwrights, and his tears were bad on that still, so we tried him on natures menu, still the same, so tried him on James wellbeloved and still the same but his poops were best on wainwrights so we put him back on that? This is all over a space of a few months, we wernt switching his food constantly haha.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
The breeder had him on royal canin, so he was on it for a short while with us but I didn't like all the additives in it so we transition him onto wainwrights, and his tears were bad on that still, so we tried him on natures menu, still the same, so tried him on James wellbeloved and still the same but his poops were best on wainwrights so we put him back on that? This is all over a space of a few months, we wernt switching his food constantly haha.

Sorry if this has already been said elsewhere, but are you giving him tap water as that can cause the tearing as well. My Frenchie started tearing and I switched him to bottled spring water and the problem stopped.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I think you are switching foods to quickly. When changing foods it could take 2-3 months to show improvement/worsening. I like the idea of trying bottled/purified/filtered water...maybe even distilled water. It's available in most stores here in the USA for about $1.00 per gallon.
Wainwrights looks to be good food so I'd not advise against feeding that...but...how many different proteins have you tried? In our experience, Duck has served us best with our dogs and most of our rescues. On rare occasion, one will not tolerate it. The protein can be as important as the added ingredients. How about treats? What kind of treats do you give? Pics of Reggie are always welcome...please post up more pics.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.