Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
I am so happy to say that Tucker is on the road to recovery! It's been more than 2 weeks ago when I realized something was wrong with him. It took determination on my part to find the underlying problem, by taking him to 4 veterinarians, and a week of misery to finally receive a diagnosis. I smiled when the Texas A&M veterinarian told me she had a diagnosis, not realizing the gravity of the situation. His diagnosis was IMHA, immune mediated hemolytic anemia, but they are unable to determine the cause.

IMHA can be fatal if not caught early and treated aggressively. I am so thankful that I saw a change in Tucker's behavior and addressed it immediately. I was told that by the time it is discovered in most dogs, they need a blood transfusion immediately. Fortunately Tucker had not gotten to that point. The medications that he takes twice a day are really working for him, as evidenced by his blood work and his disposition.

I've been keeping a watchful eye on him, including taking him to work with me a few days last week. I'm including two pictures I took of my handsome boy.
IMG_1124.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
That's great news! Love the pictures!

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I am so happy to say that Tucker is on the road to recovery! It's been more than 2 weeks ago when I realized something was wrong with him. It took determination on my part to find the underlying problem, by taking him to 4 veterinarians, and a week of misery to finally receive a diagnosis. I smiled when the Texas A&M veterinarian told me she had a diagnosis, not realizing the gravity of the situation. His diagnosis was IMHA, immune mediated hemolytic anemia, but they are unable to determine the cause.

IMHA can be fatal if not caught early and treated aggressively. I am so thankful that I saw a change in Tucker's behavior and addressed it immediately. I was told that by the time it is discovered in most dogs, they need a blood transfusion immediately. Fortunately Tucker had not gotten to that point. The medications that he takes twice a day are really working for him, as evidenced by his blood work and his disposition.

I've been keeping a watchful eye on him, including taking him to work with me a few days last week. I'm including two pictures I took of my handsome boy.
View attachment 111595

View attachment 111596

So so happy to read the good news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
So very happy for you.

You are truly to be commended, for keeping on top of your baby, what's normal and what's not for him.

And most especially, for refusing 'unacceptable ' prognosis and treatment, and seeking other options

I wish you and Tucker, many more happy healthy years together

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Great to hear he is doing much better! Yay, Tucker!

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
So very happy for you.

You are truly to be commended, for keeping on top of your baby, what's normal and what's not for him.

And most especially, for refusing 'unacceptable ' prognosis and treatment, and seeking other options

I wish you and Tucker, many more happy healthy years together

Thank you so much! I feel so blessed to have that bond with him to just know something was wrong. The first 3 vets, as well as some of my family members seemed to imply I was overreacting. He is just turned 3 in February, and I have always thought that I would be blessed for him to live until age 13. I haven't given up, and I plan to give him the best care and love for all of his life, regardless of what others think.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
GOD BLESS TUCKER. TUCKER HAS A WONDERFUL MOM WHO REALLY CARES FOR HIM, VERY LUCKY BULLY TUCKER IS.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Thanks for the update. Great job Mom for keeping at it and getting him into the right hands.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I hate it when people think we're over-protective, or over react with our pets.
I grew up on a farm, and was taught to respect animals, - all animals.
And that it is a deadly sin for abusing, neglecting or mistreating an animal.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie

View attachment 111595

View attachment 111596

Ellie and I are just Catching UP, How wonderful!! :loveeyes: :loveeyes:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

View attachment 111595

View attachment 111596

What a beautiful boy.... how lucky to get to take him to work with you!! fantastic news ... so happy you were so determined and took that trip to A&M! he is on the mend and will be back to normal in no time.

thanks for the update and pictures

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online