My EB keeps gagging?

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Hello: for the past 2-3 weeks my EB keeps making gagging noises. It actually sounds like he's trying to hack/cough something up but nothing comes out. He will do this like a few times during the day and it has been pretty consistent. Nothing is different with him with his food, his daily activities, etc. He does not vomit at all when he does this this hacking noise. I'm always on top of his health (he has a heart condition) and I tend to notice any and every little thing wth him. My husband doesn't think there's anything wrong with him.... Has anyone dealt with this issue before with their EB's? He hasn't eaten anything not normal for him and we don't feed him any rawhide or treats that can be dangerous for him. His appetite is the same, he is eating and drinking fine. He plays with the same toys and we tend to watch him like crazy although he's a very good boy and doesn't really get into things. Your thoughts and advice are appreciated!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be environmental allergies... try Benedryl to see if it helps. Adult regular... 1 mg per pound up to 3x a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I would take him to the vet as coughing can be a symptom of CHF and you say he has a heart condition. Just to be on the safe side.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yeah, cough like this can be symptom of kennel cough (puppies get vaccinated but there are many strains) and congestive heart failure. Better show him to vet.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
As always, safest route a trip to the vet.

Hopefully just a pollen issue.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would take him to the vet as coughing can be a symptom of CHF and you say he has a heart condition. Just to be on the safe side.

I totally missed the heart piece ... YIKES

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Moose does the same thing. He's been to the vet 4 times over the last couple of months for all his shots so he is healthy.

I think it's because he eats so fast and doesn't chew sometimes a kibble goes down the wrong pipe and he has to cough/hack to get rid of it. As everyone has said, seeing the vet is the best option so you can have peace of mind.

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Thanks all for the advice!! Apollo does have a heart condition and I am always vigilant about his health due to his heart. He see a cardiologist and gets tested every year and last year we received great news that his heart murmur was the same and had not worsened. He is very active, his appetite is the same (loves eating) and he shows no other signs that are worrisome. I will take him to the vet to see but I get a little exasperated bc the EB vet we take him to always says he's fine and nothing is wrong with him and to just let him be. She breeds bulldogs and spealizes in their care and even conducts surgeries on EB's. Hopefully it's the allergies as he does have environmental allergies but the weather has been very winter like here in Boston. Thanks again to all for your support and guidance. We love these EB's so much and it shows!!! Mine is my baby and my life.....

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks all for the advice!! Apollo does have a heart condition and I am always vigilant about his health due to his heart. He see a cardiologist and gets tested every year and last year we received great news that his heart murmur was the same and had not worsened. He is very active, his appetite is the same (loves eating) and he shows no other signs that are worrisome. I will take him to the vet to see but I get a little exasperated bc the EB vet we take him to always says he's fine and nothing is wrong with him and to just let him be. She breeds bulldogs and spealizes in their care and even conducts surgeries on EB's. Hopefully it's the allergies as he does have environmental allergies but the weather has been very winter like here in Boston. Thanks again to all for your support and guidance. We love these EB's so much and it shows!!! Mine is my baby and my life.....

Iā€™m in the Philadelphia area... still pretty winter like as well, but Iā€™m noticing Lambeau is showing signs of allergies acting up... extra runny eye, red paws, and small amount of vomit after breakfast... he is allergic to everything green and although we can see it, i bet there is something in the air regardless of temperature

OP
BullyBoston

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
Iā€™m in the Philadelphia area... still pretty winter like as well, but Iā€™m noticing Lambeau is showing signs of allergies acting up... extra runny eye, red paws, and small amount of vomit after breakfast... he is allergic to everything green and although we can see it, i bet there is something in the air regardless of temperature

Hi 2BullyMama: thanks for this! Ok, makes me feel definitely better bc Apollo does have seasonal/environmental allergies.... When someone on this forum first posted about allergies I felt so bad like a bad mom bc I should know better with him. Poor babies and their allergies. I will certainly not over look his heart condition but I definitely have to keep his allergies in mind!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.