My English Bully hates to be held

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
Hey guys, first of all should start with some pictures of my cute guy.

IMG_2650.JPG

IMG_2427.JPG

IMG_2350.JPG

Crabcake is the happiest guy who is such a people person, he loves meeting new people and dogs and just has the biggest personality and makes everyone happy that he interacts with. The one thing that surprises/confuses me is that he absolutely hates to be held or picked up. Now he is a really great snuggler, we have fallen asleep on the couch many times with him leaning against me or even vice versa, yet he only wants to do it on his terms. Even the first time we ever met when the doggy delivery guy introduced us, he was shaking and super scared tot be held. When I pick him up, he immediately starts to panic, even when I just sit him next to be with one arm around him he is so anxious to do anything else for freedom. I don't know if this is just a quirk, or maybe I am doing something wrong? He is currently 14 months old. Any help or insight would be great, hope you like his pics!

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
He is so handsome! My Bella only likes to be held in her terms too! Loves to snuggle or lay or sit on me and the other dogs. She definitely has her own agenda. She sleeps under the covers at night and right up against me.
Oh btw .. I love his name!!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
YOU ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING WRONG AT ALL.

WHAT A HANDSOME GUY & SOUNDS PERFECT :)

MY CAMI DID NOT LIKE TO BE HELD OR PICKED UP
AND WASN'T A KISSER EITHER BUT A VERY LOVING,
SWEET & AFFECTIONATE GIRL. SHE ENDURED MY
KISSING & HUGGING ON HER THO AND OCCASIONALLY
GAVE ME A 'LIL KISS...DID I EVER FEEL SPECIAL!

WELCOME TO EBN.

IT SOUNDS LIKE HE IS PERFECT...ENJOY HIM & ALL HIS
BULLDOG QUIRKINESS & KEEP THOSE PICS COMING!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My Tank doesn’t really like me to put my arms around him, when I hug him he tries to escape, if I insist he unwillingly tolerates it, but he is very tense. I think they just feel trapped.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
My Nelo, (short for Canelo, Spanish for cinnamon) doesn’t like hug behavior. I think he feels entrapped. I can put him in bed with me for a nap, no issue. I can hug him on occasion but he’s squirmy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Crabcake is a handsome little guy! Just like people, all our little ones have their own personalities, what they like, and what they don't. My Jersey is like your Crabcake. Exactly. She loves people and being the center of attention. If you are a person and in the same room ... you will pet her. If you hesitate, she will help you. She does the little Wigglebutt dance for you to get your attention, then plops to a non-threatening sit directly in front of you. This is the part where you lean in and lavish her with hugs and kisses and treats. If you need more encouragement she will put her chin on any horizontal surface that is attached to you and stare into your soul. I think it's called the Bully Mind Meld. This is followed by Chewbaca noises. But... don't pick her up. She doesn't like it and never has. She will cuddle or sit next to/on you only on her terms, which usually involves food. I wouldn't have her any other way! Hope this helps! xo Susan

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Duke’s like yours n Jersey. His term only. He likes petting but don’t go pick him up or hold hold him. Nyala loves petting and all Miss dive but don’t leave your arm on her she’ll get up n move.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Completely normal behavior...some like it some don't.
Crabcake...lol...cool name

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I would guess his fear of being picked up probably relates to he's affraid of falling.
Hugging? I know Ty will only let me do quick hugs, then he's on his way - to active to be restrained for long.

and, Doesn't EVERYTHING HAVE TO BE ON THEIR TERMS !!!!!!!!!!!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Crabcake....(crap...I am now salivating thinking about a Maryland Crabcake...must be a relative of Pavlov's Dog).

Our Bentley does not like to be held/picked-up unless it is help to get in/out of the car. Jewel on the other hand...she thinks she is a lap dog. She's a Princess

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie

View attachment 111558

View attachment 111559

View attachment 111560

Crabcake is the happiest guy who is such a people person, he loves meeting new people and dogs and just has the biggest personality and makes everyone happy that he interacts with. The one thing that surprises/confuses me is that he absolutely hates to be held or picked up. Now he is a really great snuggler, we have fallen asleep on the couch many times with him leaning against me or even vice versa, yet he only wants to do it on his terms. Even the first time we ever met when the doggy delivery guy introduced us, he was shaking and super scared tot be held. When I pick him up, he immediately starts to panic, even when I just sit him next to be with one arm around him he is so anxious to do anything else for freedom. I don't know if this is just a quirk, or maybe I am doing something wrong? He is currently 14 months old. Any help or insight would be great, hope you like his pics!

Ollie loves to lap sit and be hugged and kissed. Lots of times he just sits on the couch with me and I put my arm around him and we watch TV. He has no idea how big and how heavy he is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
:yes: :2thumbs:

I would guess his fear of being picked up probably relates to he's affraid of falling.
Hugging? I know Ty will only let me do quick hugs, then he's on his way - to active to be restrained for long.

and, Doesn't EVERYTHING HAVE TO BE ON THEIR TERMS !!!!!!!!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

View attachment 111558

View attachment 111559

View attachment 111560

Crabcake is one heck of a handsome boy! Absolutely normal !! I have read in several training books... dogs really do not like being 'hugged or held'. Banks HATED it and would pull away... Lambeau tolerates it but LOVES to snuggle when he is sleeping. Our Frenchie, loves to be held and carried, buts HATES being hugged and will pin his ears and try to get away.

OP
C

crabcake

Jan 26, 2017
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Crabcake
I'm very happy to hear that this is not unusual for bulldog behavior. Here are a few more pictures of the big guy.

IMG_2511.JPG

IMG_2718.JPG

SWLX9504.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Very adorable! Extremely big rope too. Keep it dry dry dry....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.