Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas is now 10 1/2 years old and he’s had epilepsy since he was 10 months old.
Sunday morning I came home and noticed a pretty severe head tilt. Looking back over the last few days of video (we have a camera on him when we leave the house) I didn’t see any seizures recorded.

Hubby took him to the vet on Monday and he does have an ear infection.
He’s on Posatex ear drops and Clindamycin oral capsules.

Here’s my concern. His equilibrium is so screwed up that he’s falling over. It’s so similar to how he acts both before and after grand mal seizures.

Or is it something else?

Seizures and strokes can go hand and hand. Often seizure dogs are euthanized when they suffer strokes after seizing, because the brain trauma is so severe. Vegas hasn’t seized in 29 days.

Vestibular disease? Does it come on this suddenly?

He has severe head tilt to the left. Rapid eye movement. Turning in circle, usually to the left. Very unstable. Left leg lameness.

He’s extremely aware. Responds to commands. He’s not lost his appetite. Very playful. Still drinking like a horse. Sleeping through the night...

Tell me your first hand experiences with vestibular disease, strokes and ear infections. I’ve researched the “symptoms” but I want first hand experience. You can’t get better info than that.

I’m extremely worried, but he’s only been on antibiotics for a day.

I will take him to his neurologist in a few days if things don’t improve with antibiotics.

b32cd17bb897c0e1806c2268bafcbbba.jpg

bf64dd988fd374f096fd9b7deeec49db.jpg

(That’s yogurt on his handsome face)

Here are some videos that capture the above mentioned.

This one is painful. I thought I was helping by lifting him off the ottoman. What I should have done was steadied him for his first few steps. Yes, that sound is his head hitting the wall. [emoji47]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
NO EXPERIENCE, HONEY, SENDING LOVING PRAYERS FOR QUICK
ANSWERS FOR VEGAS. AND HUGS TO ALL OF YOU...XOXO

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
these remind me of when i am having severe vertigo.... and when our (now passed years ago) pug had vertigo. Very familiar.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Did the vet rule out neurological issues?

Nothing has been ruled out yet. If I don’t see any improvement with antibiotics... I’ll take him to see his neurologist.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I can't put into words how much I love your boy....

You know I'm praying and sending tons of love to you both.

:hugs:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
What you have done for Vegas for 10 years is nothing short of heroic. I applaud your effort and the love and attention you have provided. Truly amazing.
The circling is most concerning...
I would not wait to see the neurologist. If this is a brain issue, however, the list of treatment(s) is short.
I’m hopeful that his ear infection is all that’s ailing him. I hope you get through this quickly, you handsome boy!

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Hi Cheryl, so sorry to hear about Vegas. This article may help. Blessings and prayers for all!

https://www.aaha.org/pet_owner/lifestyle/would-you-know-if-your-dog-had-a-stroke.aspx

She didn’t seem concerned about a stroke.
And he tested positive for an ear infection. But... I wasn’t at the appointment and I’ve gone over the notes. Does anyone see anything out of the ordinary? And in the subjective section... does anyone know what the abbreviations stand for?
c215828f4d403214cf30b0fb23841163.jpg

f72e325fccd9a7039457acfb58da380d.jpg
36534f3c7aa6bb19e5c27d1868569536.jpg

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Very difficult to distinguish at the moment, as signs you describe are present both in inner ear infection which affects labirinth and can cause all described, but it can also be in theory signs of stroke. But I vote for ear infection here, because
First of all his general condition is good, he eats and drinks well, doctor sees signs of ear infection. And don’t worry about possible stroke, even if it were some kind of transitory blood circulation problem, there is no need to euthanise dog who eats and plays.
You must also ask doctor - better neurologist what they say about possible cause of this inner ear symptoms- your dog gets anti seizure meds, and they can cause toxic labyrinthitis. And basically, he has symptoms of labyrinthitis. I had patients with severe Toxic labyrinthitis from anti seizure and sedative meds.
The only thing I can say for sure is that antibiotics need time to show their effect, especially if it’s inner ear infection, it is inside bone structures of the scull and its not easy to penetrate. So after 3 -5 days only you can expect improvement.
And yes, I agree with guys - you are real hero and so devoted to give your baby the best life!

Jersey

Community Veteran
May 19, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Hi Cheryl, I would guess that in the subjective portion v/d is visual discharge (referring to the ears) and E/D is eardrum. OU is both eyes, AU is both ears. Hope this helps.

OP
Libra926

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
What you have done for Vegas for 10 years is nothing short of heroic. I applaud your effort and the love and attention you have provided. Truly amazing.
The circling is most concerning...
I would not wait to see the neurologist. If this is a brain issue, however, the list of treatment(s) is short.
I’m hopeful that his ear infection is all that’s ailing him. I hope you get through this quickly, you handsome boy!

Thank you so much for your sweet words!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] Oh jeez I was sorry to read this post. I WISH that I had something to contribute that would be of help, but I have no experience. BUT I certainly will keep sweet Vegas in my prayers!!!!!!

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.