Tractionlesscoltgt

Mar 19, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Quatro
I am new to the forum my name is cj my wife and I bought our first English bulldog last month at 8wks old. Just recently I sent a picture to a friend of mine and he said that I had been scammed that he is in fact not an english bulldog. Is anyone here willing to confirm that he is? 20180319_172940.jpg

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hi CJ, welcome to EBN and congratulations with your new family member! He is so cute and has such a beautiful brown coat and green eyes! I would say that I can see in his appearance some traits from pit bull, like a bit longer face, not very pronounced nose rope, eyes colour, ears shape and location, lack of underbite.
He can be also considered looking more like Olde English Bulldogge.

But this can actually be better for his health, as purebred bulldogs are plagued with so many health issues.

This is is a picture of a purebred EB which is perfect example of a breed. You can see how round and flat his head is, how small are his ears and how low they sit, fat nose rope, moderate underbite etc.

9CA11375-D596-4AAA-AB58-207226750AC1.jpeg

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
Here is another picture from today

View attachment 111509

He is adorable first off :)
He is a odd color for a full bulldog and most of them don't have green eyes. The longer nose isn't always a dead give away but it combined with the other things could very well mean you don't have a full English.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
At first glance, I would say he looks like he has some pit bull in him. English bulldogs arenā€™t brown in color unless bred to be a rare color which usually means they are mixed. Were you told he was a purebred bulldog?

Regardless, he is a cutie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Bulldogs come in different shapes and sizes ( outside of the "show dog " standard) and go through many changes , so I would say enjoy that pup. If you paid a high price for him and have been scammed then I understand your concern , but other than that , he's gorgeous and hopefully healthy . People stopped me occasionally with my dog Hank and would ask if he was all bulldog . He was more leggey and not as wrinkly as Some . , I think your kiddo is adorable and would love love love more pictures and to watch him grow :-)

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Bulldogs come in different shapes and sizes ( outside of the "show dog " standard) and go through many changes , so I would say enjoy that pup. If you paid a high price for him and have been scammed then I understand your concern , but other than that , he's gorgeous and hopefully healthy . People stopped me occasionally with my dog Hank and would ask if he was all bulldog . He was more leggey and not as wrinkly as Some . , I think your kiddo is adorable and would love love love more pictures and to watch him grow :-)

couldn't have said it better

kudos Hankster.

if he's not pure bred he's pretty darn close. just love him to pieces daily

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Yeah, right, according to standard fur is a bit too chocolatey and also nose - liver colour is a disqualifying, eyes colour is also disqualifying, and I agree with guys, if you paid a lot and were told itā€™s a purebred EB of certain standard, then you can confront the breeder. If it is not the case, or purebredness isnā€™t so important for you, rest assured that your dog will be healthier than most of EB and enjoy him!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am new to the forum my name is cj my wife and I bought our first English bulldog last month at 8wks old. Just recently I sent a picture to a friend of mine and he said that I had been scammed that he is in fact not an english bulldog. Is anyone here willing to confirm that he is?View attachment 111506

Welcome!! He is definitely a mix of some type, but goodness he is gorgeous!!

He may be ole English or have pitty in him.

Might be healthier in long run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tractionlesscoltgt

Mar 19, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Quatro
He was purchased at a pretty high purse from Xxxxxxx bulldogs he was sold as a chocolate English bulldog I will post pictures of the dad and mom (they were both on site). I am concerned about him being purebred because he was sold as a purebred I paid 6k for him so if that's not the case I want to contact the breeder and either recoupe some of my money.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You know, Nyala my brindle, her mom was like your black one but just a tad white. She also looked like yours now at 3 months old. Barley any rope a d did look like a mix. She's a Bantam Bulldog who h been around just as long as English Bulldogs. To have brindle, of course you'll need some parents on the black and brown side. So don't panick on if he's pure or not. Time will tell. No matter what I think you have a beautiful puppy. 6K well that's another story. :)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It is pretty high price. I would be pissed too. Normally price is2,5-3k. Rare colours of bulldogs cannot come from purebred EB, as some of them like chocolate donā€™t happen at all in EB, or like black - it happens, but black puppies are traditionally eliminated from breeding because their kids would be black and gradually black colour would replace all other colours in breed. Blue, green eyed and liver nosed puppies have certain medical issues tied to these eyes and nose colour, so they are also considered not standard and not good for breeding.
So, to introduce these fancy colours like chocolate or lilac, somewhere in the heritage were used pit bulls. Their mom carries definitely Rottweiler traits (if it is really their parents). And what happens, if other breed was introduced, in any generation you can get puppies looking more like grandpa or grandma. Genetics of a child or puppy not simply sum of Mom and Dads genetics, you can get one who looks and has personality like aunt or uncle or grand grandma etc. Genes that control colour and genes that define shape of face and body are different genes and are inherited absolutely independently, and there are so called dominant and recessive genes, dominant define some trait and recessive stay dormant. But they are present, and when so called EB with dormant pit bull genes gives offspring, they can combine differently in next generation and give more pit bull looks. Thatā€™s why, somewhere in the line of these funny coloured bulldogs many puppies look very different from EB standard when they grow, much worse than Mom and Dad. When you see Kennel advertising unusual colours of fur, nose or eyes, there is always risk of surprises. This interest in unusual colours started in recent years and it is not enough time yet to get a reliable offspring of unusually coloured bulldogs who will also have standard shape of face and body. It takes decades to create a new breed, and technically in the language of genetics to create a ā€œchocolate English Bulldogā€ means to create a new breed. To buy these pups is always a lottery.
May be I will sound ugly, but these breeders donā€™t seem like overly ethical breeders. They just care about money and use peopleā€™s interest to unusual colours. I would try to get something back from them.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.