Lawsuit against Acana and Orijen!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Wow! Well, that is a surprise! It will be interesting to see the outcome of this.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Holy $hit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I presume itā€™s from the US plant? As you all know I fed all my dogs for years n years orijen they sure didnā€™t die cause of the kibbles. But like said Iā€™m curious now :)

OP
Cbrugs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Pretty soon Iā€™ll be feeding them Lucky Charms, pizza, grilled cheese and burritos!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
IT'S TRULY TRAGIC THAT DIRTY POLITICS & SHODDY REPORTING
(NO RESEARCH OR CHECKING FACTS) ARE NOW SO PREVALENT WE
CAN NO LONGER TRUST WHAT WE READ OR HEAR TODAY. THIS COULD
BE A HIT JOB BY RIVAL COMPANIES, WHO KNOWS?

HOPING TRUTH PREVAILS!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Well crapo!!!! this is just amazing (i believe it's just the Kentucky plant) and YES! wondering if it's a "Hit JOB" as they (champion feeods) have had the best reputation and any damage done to them will suit other companies. This all seems rampant as of late and i really dont want to figure menues for my boy, but even the RAW industry is seemingly attacked. In one way im glad they are all being watched, but sure makes ya doubt what ya should/shouldnt be feeding our beloved familys.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Well crapo!!!! this is just amazing (i believe it's just the Kentucky plant) and YES! wondering if it's a "Hit JOB" as they (champion feeods) have had the best reputation and any damage done to them will suit other companies. This all seems rampant as of late and i really dont want to figure menues for my boy, but even the RAW industry is seemingly attacked. In one way im glad they are all being watched, but sure makes ya doubt what ya should/shouldnt be feeding our beloved familys.

Iā€™m with you on this. Something doesnā€™t jive here. Why would a reputable company thatā€™s at the top of all ratings when it comes to kibbles just go do something like that? And yes raw is getting a bad rap too. This is really odd.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I never had any issues with either brand and would still be feeding Chunky Acana if Chewy still sold it. A local store sales it but they are not open on sundays and that's been my only day off for most of the past year other than a few weeks ever so often

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Read yesterday on my FB some lady from who knows where wanted everyone to read her story how her Great Merle Dane got poisoned with Blue Buffalo. Her story started with a warning how long the post was going to be. Idk something is really odd.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Sounds to me like a hit job by PetsMart in retaliation for Orijen and Acana jumping ship. Not believing any of it at this point. Let the courts, lawyers hash things out...looking forward to the determination. In the mean time I will continue to feed my very healthy Bulldog crew Acana Duck and Pear.
FWIW, one of the two Vets of "Truth about Pet Food" has their own sketchy history.
https://www.jconline.com/story/news/local/2016/02/04/veterinarian-surrenders-her-license/79850610/

No mention of who, or what lab, did the research, compiled the data...or maybe I missed that important tidbit of info.

Additionally, I try not to take anything originating in the State of California too seriously...
"??? is known to cause cancer in the State of California"
??? = most anything one could think of with the exception of Craft Beer, Napa Valley Wine, and Cannabis Sativa

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Good Lord... when will this crap stop?!! It's ALL over the news now... SO many different companies, and it keeps getting worse.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Having only heard one side of the story concerning the lawsuit against Champion...Sandy emailed them. Not expecting to get an answer, but being hopeful...
She was surprised when the answer came back within minutes.

"Hi Sandy,
Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us with your concerns.

On March 1, 2018 a Class Action Complaint was brought in California against Champion Petfoods alleging that our dog food contains levels of ā€œheavy metals and toxinsā€ that might make the food unsafe. The claims asserted in the lawsuit are meritless and Champion Petfoods intends to vigorously defend itself in the litigation. There are no recalls for ORIJEN or ACANA as we are 100% confident that our foods are safe for pets and the people who care for them.

For your peace of mind we want you to understand that monitoring heavy metal levels is an important control point for us, and has always been a part of Championā€™s food safety and HACCP program. We systematically test ORIJEN and ACANA products for heavy metals (arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury) at two third party laboratories using the Official Methods of Analysis by Association of Analytical Communities (AOAC).

We share statistically analyzed data from over the past 3 years in comparison with NRC standards for heavy metals and the MTLā€™s (maximum tolerable limits) listed in the FDA Target Animal Safety Review Memorandum in a White Paper on our website. ORIJEN and ACANA Foods in Comparison to Pet Food Safety Standards

I understand that you may be concerned about this lawsuit, our pets are family to us and we all want to ensure that we are doing the very best that we can for them. I want you to be confident in the safety and quality of our products, and I hope that this information I've provided is helpful.

Should you have any other questions please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards,

Carrie
Customer Care
Champion Petfoods LP"

What is especially surprising is that there was NOTHING within the original article by Susan Thixton of Truth about Pet Food concerning the defendant POV in the suit.
Susan Thixton either didn't contact Champion for their comment...or did and chose not to include it within her article. Shameful, IMO, either way.
There are always 2 sides to a story like this and presenting only one side(as "TRUTH") is not only unfair to one of the parties involved but extremely unfair to their readers...not to mention sensationalism/shoddy journalism/FAKE News/hidden agenda/ignorance/indifference/recklessness/etc/etc/etc.

Members online

No members online now.