JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I cannot keep Wilson inside:crazy:. He just loves being outside. The weather is cool right now and very curious about everything right now - he's 3 months this Sat. He'll go out and just sit on the deck or go exploring in the yard (at which point I have to go hunt him down). I'm always keeping a close watch on him when he's out too, especially since he likes to go under the lowest part of our deck and considers it his personal playground. :crazy: Lets just say I have to bribe him to come out - I use it as a training session for him to Come. I might have to lattice that section though since he's gets under there at 4:30 in the morning and I'm in my bathrobe :ohmy:(it's only 1.5' high in that section).

Like just now, he disappeared (that's always a bad sign cause it means he's into something he shouldn't be, lol) and went out the doggie door in the laundry room and came back at the sliding door. He's little pill I tell ya. I'm curious to see how he does when the weather gets warm. We have very low humidity here so that's good and lots of cool areas in our yard.

So, is yours an innie or an outie? :LMAO:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie is both ... she HATES the cold weather and in Ohio that is pretty much 6 months of the year. It really sucks .... :down: I swear that if a bulldog could tiptoe over the snow on the deck to the grass, then she does it.

In summer she will become the sun goddess, and unfortunately our deck can get over 100f ..... and with high humidity so I am constantly dragging her back inside from wherever she has chosen to sunbathe!!

We didn't get Daddy until October so he had the fall to enjoy the yard, and whenever possible he is still out in the yard no matter how high the snow is. I'm assuming he is going to be the same in the summer and so I willl be dragging two bullies out of the yard! :rolleyes:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Karen, do you use a sunscreen for the white areas? I've never had a dog that had white with pink ears on the underside.

Wilson seems to love the cold and snow. We had a 1/2" dusting of snow and he played in it and laid on his back and rolled.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has to bribe. I thought the bribing might come a bit later though, lol. :lol:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] ... unfortunately it's not just the heat it's the awful humidity we have. Maggie has a smaller trachea than even most bulldogs have so her breathing becomes so labored it's frightening!!!

I don't know how hot it gets where you are, but you have to be SO careful with bulldogs in the sun. My gut feeling would be that if it's hot enough for you to consider sunscreen that you might want to really consider how much time Wilson spends outside.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for that info. My boys have always been indoor dogs when we're not home and have been known to be pansies. Wilson will never be out too long when it's too hot. It average in the 90's here during the summer with an occassional 100. We camp a lot though and it's in the desert and it gets hot there. We always leave the boys in comfort of the A/C when it's too h to and we're out boating.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]..good topic! Well it's 94 here today and Jake wants to be out all the time. He even does fake pee squats..I watched a few times and nothing came out..he had just been out and I just didn't want to ignore him! Ha..that's going to change..he loves to be outside but I am constantly pulling stuff out of his mouth! I know they can't bein heat too long..but je didn't get that memo!

Last edited by a moderator:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas and Orion HATE being outside.

As you can see...I pulled out the cushions for a nice afternoon of outdoor reading. When I went inside to get my book, Vegas had taken up residence in my chair, so I pulled the cushions out for another one..which Orion claimed. They sat in the chair sunning themselved for about an hour. Although the sun was out..it was just over 60 degrees. I still had a sweatshirt on!
They love to sun themselves. They also love to play in the snow. So I have 2 outies! :eek:

L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] you know the extreme heat we get here in the UK :lol: NOT
Sorry couldnt resist it :LMAO:
But truthfully our summers are pants highs of 22 if we are lucky and its not raining advise re: bulldogs and the sun from my vet was avoid it!!...only to toilet, and to go for walks when the sun goes down. He warned to be careful even letting her in the shade because our yard is concrete and it soaks up the heat so she can get too hot without us even realising.
Needless to say I have a paddling pool andsqeezy lemon at the ready for our possible warm days but it will probably sit lonely, sad and unused along side the barbecue because of the typical rainy UK summertime.

As for innie or outie :lol: Lucy would live outside if I let her she is soo nosey, and the only way I can get her in when she's being her usual stubborn self is bribary :lol:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I kinda had a self chuckle when the topic came to me lol. :idea:

:LMAO:thats hilarious! I thought this thread was gonna be about belly buttons :) Chaos is definately an outie! He lets himself out if the screen door is not locked :)

Love love love the picture of Orion & Vegas!:cool:

Well I get the idea that Bullies for the most part LOVE to be outies. Not sure why I was thinking more like to be inies though. Probably because my other boys, Orion (he's passed now) and Ace, are PANSIES. They only want where you are and if you're not outside, they want nothing to do with it. So Wilson constantly going out by himself and staying out surprised me a bit. I too am always finding something in this mouth, my woody plants that he just broke the branches off, bark and yes gravel.

Ok, well were off today for our first camping expedition. :eek: Heading down to southern Colorado where it will be 80. I'll let you know how we do. We have a 4 slide 5th wheel so Wilson will be in the lap of luxury fully equipped with A/C and all the comforts of home, :D. Ok so it's not really camping ;).

Angie, can you explain the lemon juice. Do you just squirt it in their mouths? I read about that and have it on hand :).

Last edited:
L

Lucy-licious

[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] its for if they get severely over heated, breathing becomes very rapid laboured and noisey almost roaring, the tongue at this stage will most likely be blue.
secretions become thick and hinder breathing. squirt the lemon in the back of the throat it boosts the salivary glands and they are able to swallow if its not too bad or they will vomit clearing the throat
however the lemon is only a part of it If they are at this stage(God forbid) you need to cool them down and fast
best way is immerse them in cold water if you cant do that then hosepipe or pour buckets over them
icecubes on the head can help too and if they are slipping out f consciousness ice near the anus will help too
most important is to cool your dog fast but... if you feel thats not happening get them to the vet fast with wet towels blankets and ice packed around them in the car.

All sounds very scary really but thats how important it is to keep them cool in the first place, I have learned and memorised this from reading many books and searching many websites for the best info
it has never happened to me or anyone I know of here in the UK but just to be safe I always have lemonjuice in my Doggykit.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Princess Gracie absolutely HATES the outside.The colder it is the more she hates it and if there is any snow in her poo/pee spot she will do it on the sidewalk and race back into the house. I don't know how Im going to get her outside today, they are jack hammering up our street today for repair and I just know she is going to freak out with the noise. :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.