2 Questions - Rabies and Neutering

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
1) At what age did you give the rabies vaccine to your bully? Breeder told us wait till 6 months, vet told us that is all a bunch of crap and you can do it whenever. Moose is now 5 and 1/2 months old.

2) Is your dog neutered? At what age? My instinct is to not have him neutered. Growing up in Europe, in my experience, dogs aren't neutered.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - what do you see as a positive / negative as far as neutering.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Rabies vaccine a nasty one and dogs feel weird after it for couple of days, my Tank was for three days unrecognisable- he was drowsy, sleepy, didnā€™t want to eat and at the same time he was irritable. I would wait till a bit later, as the bigger is the dog, the stronger they are.
neutering - I didnā€™t neuter Tank, he is 2 yo and the sweetest bulldog, he never aggressive to people or dogs, he doesnā€™t hump, he has no inclination to roam or run away, what for marking, he doesnā€™t mark, there were couple of occasions when he made a wee on the bathrooom rag, but it didnā€™t happen for 4 months now, thanks God. Im also from Europe and normal practice is to leave male dogs intact, unless there are above mentioned behavioural issues.
Contemporary data says that for all dogs early (before 1yo) castration may be a disadvantage, as it prevents them from fully developing their joints and creates possibilities of joint issues in the future. As castrated dogs tend to be calmer and less active there is also danger of weight gain which can also contribute to joint issues. And bulldogs are already at highest possible risk of joint problems, so I donā€™t really want to contribute more.
Another risk of early castration is higher incidence of some cancers - hemangiosarcoma, bone cancer. Thyroid gland function can be impaired too. Some data shows even increased risk of dementia.
There are conditions like cystine stones when castration is necessary. Also, intact males after 5 yo can develop enlarged prostate, but it is reversible condition and then castration is performed, after it prostate shrinks back to normal. But for now I just donā€™t see the point to castrate my dog, as he doesnā€™t misbehave at all. So why to pay lots of money, put him under which is risky? My choice is not to repair things that arenā€™t broken.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It's been awhile, but I think that my vet gives the pups their shots a 6,9, and 12 weeks. The Rabies is given w/the 12 week shot. Moose can certainly have his rabies shot.
Your choice on neutering. All my dogs are spayed/neutered because I have both male and female, and didn't want pups. I think that is your choice, unless he becomes too aggressive when older,or for health reasons.There are males on this site,some neutered,some not, and one even had a vasectomy! There are opinions both for and against neutering. @bulldogs1501

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie got his 1 year rabies shot at around 12 weeks. At the end of May (a year later) he will get the 3 year shot. Dogs out here have to get the rabies shot. Neither of my guys have ever had any kind of adverse reaction.

Louie was neutered at around 11 1/2 months. He has cystinuria so he had to get neutered before he "matured" but I would have neutered him regardless. It is better to wait as long as possible to ensure full growth development of his bones/joints. Before Louie was neutered, he had started marking in the house and so far that has not happened again after the neuter. He also seems to be a little more cuddly than before (when he is tired, that is). My Frenchie was a big humper and he got neutered at 6 months old. Neither of my guys had "personality changes" after getting neutered.

I am pro neuter/spay and any dog I have will get it done.

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
We are going to give him the rabies shot tomorrow, we held off as long as we could. I want to start socializing him with other dogs, he is going to be 25 weeks next week.

As far as the neutering, I am going to wait at least he is until a year and a half and then will revisit. I just still can't get my mind around the concept, but maybe it will change if he starts humping every single thing and his health is in question. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Rabies you do not have a choice, most states require it and if you want to participate in any grooming, training or daycare you will have to have it ... I think it is 12 weeks for rabies.

I am also pro neuter/spay ... lots of controversy around it, personal decision but I am for it. Female anytime after 6 mths and male anytime after 8-10 mths

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
1) At what age did you give the rabies vaccine to your bully? Breeder told us wait till 6 months, vet told us that is all a bunch of crap and you can do it whenever. Moose is now 5 and 1/2 months old.

2) Is your dog neutered? At what age? My instinct is to not have him neutered. Growing up in Europe, in my experience, dogs aren't neutered.

- - - Updated - - -

Not a big fan of rabies shot. Usually here in Canada is like 9 months n up. All my dogs Iā€™ve ever own only had one shot n thatā€™s it. I never traveled across the USA with them so I didnā€™t want them to get anymore they needed.

I didnā€™t get Duke neutered and went for a vasectomy. Never again would I ever get any of my dogs neutered or spayed. Nyala got spayed 2yrs ago and thatā€™s when I realized nope no more. There are more n more studies that contradict all this ā€œmustā€ spayed or neutered. Youā€™re right I personally find Europe thinks more out of the box than the western side of the planet. I found a vet that did vasectomies which is not taught in vet school on this side of the planet. A lot of modern medicine today are from the ā€œout of the boxā€ students taking the plunge. Duke doesnā€™t hump, healthy as a horse, full of energy which heā€™s my border collie in a EB suit. Heā€™ll go pee over Nyala where she just peed but thatā€™s all dogs. Itā€™s a male, neutered or not they will go smell n pee. I believe dogs just like humans, needs to keep their hormones going. Not by ripping out everything inside will make you healthier. Itā€™s just ā€œeasierā€ for the non out of the box doctors. Unless theirs a health issue, thatā€™s another story. But if your dog is healthy....hell no! Stay intact is MY opinion!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Not a big fan of rabies shot. Usually here in Canada is like 9 months n up. All my dogs Iā€™ve ever own only had one shot n thatā€™s it. I never traveled across the USA with them so I didnā€™t want them to get anymore they needed.

I didnā€™t get Duke neutered and went for a vasectomy. Never again would I ever get any of my dogs neutered or spayed. Nyala got spayed 2yrs ago and thatā€™s when I realized nope no more. There are more n more studies that contradict all this ā€œmustā€ spayed or neutered. Youā€™re right I personally find Europe thinks more out of the box than the western side of the planet. I found a vet that did vasectomies which is not taught in vet school on this side of the planet. A lot of modern medicine today are from the ā€œout of the boxā€ students taking the plunge. Duke doesnā€™t hump, healthy as a horse, full of energy which heā€™s my border collie in a EB suit. Heā€™ll go pee over Nyala where she just peed but thatā€™s all dogs. Itā€™s a male, neutered or not they will go smell n pee. I believe dogs just like humans, needs to keep their hormones going. Not by ripping out everything inside will make you healthier. Itā€™s just ā€œeasierā€ for the non out of the box doctors. Unless theirs a health issue, thatā€™s another story. But if your dog is healthy....hell no! Stay intact is MY opinion!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
You know, it seems to me that in general in America more medical interventions are advertised and basically people are taught that there is a solution for everything. There are only 2 countries in the world where serious non-OTC meds or surgeries are advertised on TV - USA and NewZealand. I still cannot get used to it. On the one hand it has positive side, that people learn about available options, on the other - it can lead to medicalisation, when people get unnecessary meds or interventions. One of examples is prescription opioids. Believe me, in Europe these drugs are available only in in- patient clinics and predominantly for cancer patients or for 3-4 days after serious surgery. There is no way these meds will be given routinely for back pain or anything of this sort. 90 percent of doctors never prescribed opioids in their whole professional life. Only surgeons, intensive care unit doc etc.
It is understandable, because in the US medicine and farmaceutical is HUGE business and ENORMOUS money (in Europe in most countries medicine is free or part free, part insurance type).
But in my humble opinion, neutering of all male dogs is a typical example of perfect marketing.

Members online

No members online now.