CrazyBruno

Mar 2, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Lucy
Hi Everyone... I need some help from fellow EB owners.

My dog Bruno (who we got at a shelter 2 months ago) who is 9 months old right now is literally crazy. He jumps all over the place, is super food driven and doesn't let you even put the bowl down on the ground, knocks you over when he sees a leash, pushes you over when a door is open and he wants to go out... what else...?? Oh, he comes running at like 25 miles an hour and runs right into my female EB Lucy.. at top speeds... and has even hurt her leg from these running rants... we have ended up separating them since he is so rough. We have done a lot of training in 2 months and have honestly seen no change. Our last resort was an E-Collar and it doesn't even phase him. He doesn't listen at all. Oh.. and did I mention he doesn't hold his urine or poop in the crate? We have to take him out every 3 hours like clockwork or he will pee/poop in the crate. And yes, we made the crate smaller... as small as possible for his size. So needless to say, we are not sleeping, leaving the house for more than 3 hours at a time and afraid to leave him with our Lucy alone since he wants to just crash into her. ANY IDEA WHAT ELSE WE CAN DO BEFORE WE HAVE TO GIVE HIM AWAY? Nothing seems to work with him.

Help.. we are getting attached to him but keeping him at a distance cause we are not sure what else to do.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It seems to me that "keeping him at a distance, it the opposite of what should be done. Perhaps keeping him on a leash close to you might be better. Well, I am not a dog trainer, but you do not mention all what you have tried, as far as training. It sounds like he is definetley hi-strung, and has been left to do whatever he wanted, since birth! I would (personally) try using a Herm Springer prong collar(only if you KNOW the proper way to use it) and walk him and teach him manners (heel,sit,walk) with that. At his age, it is going to be work. In the house, I would leave a harness and leash on him,let him drag the leash, so you can get a hold when he is mis-behaving.
If he will not settle, your vet might give him something to take the edge off-but not knock him out-just to make him pay attention. Last resort, get a professional trainer to work with him. He is just a blank slate-probably never any kind of discipline(training) not beating. i have had many dogs, and only had one I could not train, and I used to cry and thought it was me-but it turned out that my beautiful dog had a brain tumor. This is probably not your case-but I believe he just was never taught anything! Best of luck to you-hope you can do it! @CrazyBruno

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
I am by no means an expert, but some of the behaviors you described sound like stuff our Tayto who is 11 months old has done. We found the Pet Corrector spray to be the only thing that really works at getting him to stop what he's doing right in the moment. It may not work well for all the things you described, but for running/jumping and humping it has worked wonders for us. It's available on Amazon and someone else on this forum recommended it!

OP
C

CrazyBruno

Mar 2, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Lucy
It seems to me that "keeping him at a distance, it the opposite of what should be done. Perhaps keeping him on a leash close to you might be better. Well, I am not a dog trainer, but you do not mention all what you have tried, as far as training. It sounds like he is definetley hi-strung, and has been left to do whatever he wanted, since birth! I would (personally) try using a Herm Springer prong collar(only if you KNOW the proper way to use it) and walk him and teach him manners (heel,sit,walk) with that. At his age, it is going to be work. In the house, I would leave a harness and leash on him,let him drag the leash, so you can get a hold when he is mis-behaving.
If he will not settle, your vet might give him something to take the edge off-but not knock him out-just to make him pay attention. Last resort, get a professional trainer to work with him. He is just a blank slate-probably never any kind of discipline(training) not beating. i have had many dogs, and only had one I could not train, and I used to cry and thought it was me-but it turned out that my beautiful dog had a brain tumor. This is probably not your case-but I believe he just was never taught anything! Best of luck to you-hope you can do it! @CrazyBruno

Thank you for the advice... Yes my husband has trained dogs before and is pretty familiar with the prong collar. Our fear is that he is so rough and fast that he may get hurt. He is kind of immune to the e collar too.. strange.. You seem to be right about the "No Manners"... he definitely doesn't have any.

OP
C

CrazyBruno

Mar 2, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Lucy
Do you know the brand name for the spray? Amazon has a million of them. Thanks for the reply... we want to try everything we can before just giving up.. it has been a very rough 2 months with him and our patience is running low... so sad to say as we have never had this issue with any of our previous dogs.. and we have had Boxers, Labs, Basset Hounds... none of which were very mellow.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you for the advice... Yes my husband has trained dogs before and is pretty familiar with the prong collar. Our fear is that he is so rough and fast that he may get hurt. He is kind of immune to the e collar too.. strange.. You seem to be right about the "No Manners"... he definitely doesn't have any.

Ok, you just described Duke to a ā€œTā€. Just the crate part is resolved. I use to train dogs to many years ago n you need a choker. NO need for prong! Regular thick choker is enough. Prong is More like a GS with thick skin n hair. EB have massive, strong neck but you need to watch the windpipes. Strong powerful neck doesnā€™t mean their windpipes will endure a prong. Them claws can nick one wrong part n youā€™ll create another issue. Just get a short, thick quality choker. I walk Duke with a choker ā€œdailyā€. Both pups do 5km, runs non stop in the backyard. Your dog needs to move and burn him out with exercise. Duke had a bad habit torpedo in the back of your legs and we go flying in walls or on the floor. Immediately you need to grab your dog with a loud n firm NO. Bullies are NOT trainable like any other dogs. They plain just donā€™t listen n donā€™t care. All up to you to take the gloves off as we say n grab him on the spot with scolded him now. Duke is a year now and much better. In the morning I still have issues with the food. Like he gets panic attacks. He shakes his head non stop, rounds in circle, rams into poor Nyala that just sit quietly for her food while we wait for him to calm down with his rain dance. I just stand there with my hand sticking out n just say ā€œsitā€. Eventually he sits. I say it a couple times but never repeat. Just the hand signal he knows. It takes a lot of time n patience with energy dogs like yours n mine. You need to walk ā€œbothā€ dogs together not split them up. Both dogs needs to do things together. How old is Lucy? I also have the leash issue he goes mad when I touch it. Same thing, I stand there till heā€™s done. Eventually he stops causeim not going to encourage him in his fits. Heā€™s still a pup n itā€™s getting better. All about time.

OP
C

CrazyBruno

Mar 2, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Lucy
Thank you!! Your advice is well taken. We will work harder at it with our Bruno. Just feels like the longest 2 months of itlour lives. Did I mention my husband had neck surgery 5 months ago and we are concerned of Bruno injuring him. The tripping hazard is real with this dog. He is very unpredictable with his moves. One minute he is quiet and the next he is nuts. We currently have a choke collar and it hasnā€™t really worked. We will have to walk both dogs together every day to just really burn him out. Lucy is 2 years old and is kinda an old lady. She is very mellow and obedient. Bruno is the total opposite of Lucy. Thanks for the advice and for taking the time to write your comment. Much appreciated!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you!! Your advice is well taken. We will work harder at it with our Bruno. Just feels like the longest 2 months of itlour lives. Did I mention my husband had neck surgery 5 months ago and we are concerned of Bruno injuring him. The tripping hazard is real with this dog. He is very unpredictable with his moves. One minute he is quiet and the next he is nuts. We currently have a choke collar and it hasnā€™t really worked. We will have to walk both dogs together every day to just really burn him out. Lucy is 2 years old and is kinda an old lady. She is very mellow and obedient. Bruno is the total opposite of Lucy. Thanks for the advice and for taking the time to write your comment. Much appreciated!

If we can help, are here for you. Nyala my brindle is also 2. She listens well. But sometimes I need to remind her whoā€™s boss. I would have your husband walk Lucy if he had surgery n you walk Bruno. I presume you know thereā€™s only one way to put a choker on? Also choker needs to be under the jaws and not as a collar or it wonā€™t be effective. I have a plain fly swapper. I know itā€™s not going to hurt him as Nyala comes and wait for me to tap her with it. Sheā€™s my odd ball kinky girl. She loves, spas, hair dryers, cleaning her tail pocket n Duke runs like hell when he sees anything like so. So I know for him itā€™s like ā€œkeep away from meā€ . Whatā€™s odd is Iā€™ve never touched him or hit him. Donā€™t know why heā€™s scare of everything n anything. Heā€™s getting better with the blower though.

But for Bruno if he never gets exercises cause of surgery which is understandable, thatā€™s the extra energy Bruno needs to get out of his system. Not all bullies are lazy. Both of mine are super active. With my luck both will be like that till they go like ooooooh 20yrs old lollllll kidding!

OP
C

CrazyBruno

Mar 2, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Lucy
Yeah looks like we are all gonna get exercise! Thanks again

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed... Bruno is a toddler with no limits. Walks, and if your husband knows training.. 'nothing in life is free' will help greatly.

I'm not a fan of choke or prong collars on Bulldogs due to already compromised airways. A martingale collar is a good choice... hubby should know those too.

Best of luck .. keep us posted and post some pictures.

Welcome to EBN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

CrazyBruno

Mar 2, 2018
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno and Lucy
Bruno

- - - Updated - - -