Thread: Special Bulldog colors?

Pooper scooper
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Angus and Brando
    Likes (Received)

Default Special Bulldog colors?

I belong to a couple of bulldogs for sale groups on facebook and one of them is for "rare" colors. I don't get it. Why are colors that are not accepted for the show ring, so desirable and so costly? It just doesn't make any sense to me why these colors are going for huge bucks. And my question is out of ignorance for the subject, not trying to put down owners of these rare color bulldogs. Thanks.

Feed Store Operator
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tiger - Ty
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Special Bulldog colors?

I'm no expert thats for sure, but I know someone who has raised and trained champion German Shepherd Dogs, when I asked him one day about white GSD's he said they are considered "culls" because they're not recognized by AKC or CKC, but when you see ad's they are described as "party colored" or "Rare" and the price will be almost double of the traditional coated dog.

I think these people are just looking for $$$$$$$$$$$$$, a fast buck.

3. Likes oscarmayer, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

The colors were bred out because of the undesirable genetic traits inherent to them. Bulldogs in designer colors are predisposed to having "mechanical flaws"...whether it be faulty ears, eyes, joints, bone structure, heart, spine, digestive...etc, etc, etc...possibly even temperament. This is not to say that all designer bulldogs will have health issues.
    The only attraction to designer colors that I can think of would be to have something different, rare...perhaps something awesome looking, one-upmanship. Too often this is a choice made out of ignorance or one made with little regard for the health of the particular specimen or the breed in general, or both. Please don't misunderstand, many owners of these dogs bought their dog/puppy because they wanted a beautiful happy fuzzy bundle of love...that's what they saw and that's what they bought.
    The breeders OTOH...reintroducing these colors, display disregard, indifference for the health of their individual dogs as well as the breed in general. But, sadly, as long as a breeder can get $5-15K per dog, healthy or not, there will continue to be a supply.

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

5. Likes Cbrugs, 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

As Chip stated.... there is no such thing as 'rare' it is a sales gimmick and the breeder is looking for big money. The colors are not part of the bulldog breed and what it takes to bring it in can cause more issues for the puppy/breed
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pooper scooper
    Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Louie
    Likes (Received)

I don't understand what is considered rare colors? I've been told ours can't be EB since he's black & white, but he is. I don't know anything about Bulldogs other than he's cute and we wanted him and we didn't pay extra we paid much less ��

8. Likes Clermont liked this post
    Feed Store Operator
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tiger - Ty
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Genetic issues is exactly what's going on with The University of Georgia mascot, UGA.

The last two have had numerous medical problems and died relatively young, because they're so focused on getting only a pure white dog that they haven't paid attention the good breeding.

It took me almost 3 years to get Rocket-man (Ty),
    I researched, and researched the breed, talked with other bully owners and discussed it with my vet.
    When I actually began shopping, I purposefully stayed away from the kennels that advertised 'Uga' bulldogs.

10. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Have Bulldog Will Travel Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chip
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zoey, Lala, Pippy, and MINI
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney24 View Post
    I don't understand what is considered rare colors? I've been told ours can't be EB since he's black & white, but he is. I don't know anything about Bulldogs other than he's cute and we wanted him and we didn't pay extra we paid much less ��
    He can certainly be a bulldog...but not a bulldog registered with the AKC...following the standard set by the Bulldog Club of America. There are other bulldog registries that will accept registration of "off-colors" but the be-all-end-all is the AKC.
    I could care less about registry. As long as they are healthy and happy, that's enough.

saving as many as we can for the sake of Bullykind

12. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney24 View Post
    Basically, traditional colors of the Bulldog breed do not include blue, black, brown or tan... those colors were breed onto the standard color of fawn, piebald, white, red and brindle. I think they are the traditional colors.

However, if not showing or breeding... all that matters is they, as Chip stated, are happy and healthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    e.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
    Likes (Received)
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.
    -Dean Koontz

15. Likes 2BullyMama, oscarmayer liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mcardle3 View Post
    Great article!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    e.

The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

This is like the million dollar question. I wouldn’t say all colour dogs will be unhealthy. Most dog breeds today are n have been alter for 100yrs or so. Look at our EB, no special colors and have the most unhealthy bill of health if you don’t research the breeder. I’m a firm believer most culprits started with all from these so call dog clubs we have today. In 2017, 3 new breeds came out and accepted by Westminster club. One hairless, one curly blue n one big brindle. So there that’s my thought on these clubs. Yet it’s ok if they say “yes accepted” but not a regular good breeder. I had a Doberman and she gave birth to a blue female dobby. Where this blue came from no one knew. She lived a healthy long life. Like mentioned , I also never had interest showing any of my dogs I’ve ever owned. I just like having a family dog n not the red carpet pooch. The word “rare” is just a word. No need to buy the rare ones as eventually these so call rare will go down in price if everyone stops buying them. Unless that’s what you want “the rare one”. Just do a lot of research on these breeders n ask them who their vets are. Also call the surrounding vets n customers that bought from this breeder. My 2cents.

Remove Ads