Special Bulldog colors?

haile2066

Nov 1, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus and Brando
I belong to a couple of bulldogs for sale groups on facebook and one of them is for "rare" colors. I don't get it. Why are colors that are not accepted for the show ring, so desirable and so costly? It just doesn't make any sense to me why these colors are going for huge bucks. And my question is out of ignorance for the subject, not trying to put down owners of these rare color bulldogs. Thanks.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I'm no expert thats for sure, but I know someone who has raised and trained champion German Shepherd Dogs, when I asked him one day about white GSD's he said they are considered "culls" because they're not recognized by AKC or CKC, but when you see ad's they are described as "party colored" or "Rare" and the price will be almost double of the traditional coated dog.

I think these people are just looking for $$$$$$$$$$$$$, a fast buck.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
The colors were bred out because of the undesirable genetic traits inherent to them. Bulldogs in designer colors are predisposed to having "mechanical flaws"...whether it be faulty ears, eyes, joints, bone structure, heart, spine, digestive...etc, etc, etc...possibly even temperament. This is not to say that all designer bulldogs will have health issues.
The only attraction to designer colors that I can think of would be to have something different, rare...perhaps something awesome looking, one-upmanship. Too often this is a choice made out of ignorance or one made with little regard for the health of the particular specimen or the breed in general, or both. Please don't misunderstand, many owners of these dogs bought their dog/puppy because they wanted a beautiful happy fuzzy bundle of love...that's what they saw and that's what they bought.
The breeders OTOH...reintroducing these colors, display disregard, indifference for the health of their individual dogs as well as the breed in general. But, sadly, as long as a breeder can get $5-15K per dog, healthy or not, there will continue to be a supply.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As Chip stated.... there is no such thing as 'rare' it is a sales gimmick and the breeder is looking for big money. The colors are not part of the bulldog breed and what it takes to bring it in can cause more issues for the puppy/breed

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I don't understand what is considered rare colors? I've been told ours can't be EB since he's black & white, but he is. I don't know anything about Bulldogs other than he's cute and we wanted him and we didn't pay extra we paid much less ��

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Genetic issues is exactly what's going on with The University of Georgia mascot, UGA.

The last two have had numerous medical problems and died relatively young, because they're so focused on getting only a pure white dog that they haven't paid attention the good breeding.

It took me almost 3 years to get Rocket-man (Ty),
I researched, and researched the breed, talked with other bully owners and discussed it with my vet.
When I actually began shopping, I purposefully stayed away from the kennels that advertised 'Uga' bulldogs.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
I don't understand what is considered rare colors? I've been told ours can't be EB since he's black & white, but he is. I don't know anything about Bulldogs other than he's cute and we wanted him and we didn't pay extra we paid much less ļæ½ļæ½
He can certainly be a bulldog...but not a bulldog registered with the AKC...following the standard set by the Bulldog Club of America. There are other bulldog registries that will accept registration of "off-colors" but the be-all-end-all is the AKC.
I could care less about registry. As long as they are healthy and happy, that's enough.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I don't understand what is considered rare colors? I've been told ours can't be EB since he's black & white, but he is. I don't know anything about Bulldogs other than he's cute and we wanted him and we didn't pay extra we paid much less ��

Basically, traditional colors of the Bulldog breed do not include blue, black, brown or tan... those colors were breed onto the standard color of fawn, piebald, white, red and brindle. I think they are the traditional colors.

However, if not showing or breeding... all that matters is they, as Chip stated, are happy and healthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
This is like the million dollar question. I wouldnā€™t say all colour dogs will be unhealthy. Most dog breeds today are n have been alter for 100yrs or so. Look at our EB, no special colors and have the most unhealthy bill of health if you donā€™t research the breeder. Iā€™m a firm believer most culprits started with all from these so call dog clubs we have today. In 2017, 3 new breeds came out and accepted by Westminster club. One hairless, one curly blue n one big brindle. So there thatā€™s my thought on these clubs. Yet itā€™s ok if they say ā€œyes acceptedā€ but not a regular good breeder. I had a Doberman and she gave birth to a blue female dobby. Where this blue came from no one knew. She lived a healthy long life. Like mentioned , I also never had interest showing any of my dogs Iā€™ve ever owned. I just like having a family dog n not the red carpet pooch. The word ā€œrareā€ is just a word. No need to buy the rare ones as eventually these so call rare will go down in price if everyone stops buying them. Unless thatā€™s what you want ā€œthe rare oneā€. Just do a lot of research on these breeders n ask them who their vets are. Also call the surrounding vets n customers that bought from this breeder. My 2cents.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online