Vegas ate my roses today!! Please read...

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
So I get home from work and Joe had bought me roses (for no reason) yesterday. And I just looked at my beautiful bouquet on my end table and notice 2 roses has NO petals, Vegas loves the smell of flowers!!

I get on the phone immediately and call ASPCA that is advertised on this site and make the call to see if they are poisonous, Did You All KNOW it cost you $65.00 dollars to answer your question???? This made me furious, It is right on the recording. I get a live operator and told her I just have a quick question and told her my dog ate some roses. She ask me if I was comfortable paying $65.00 for her to talk to their vet for a consultation!!!

I said NO I AM NOT!! I figured he ate them while I was at work, hours ago obviously,.. I came home he is fine, pee'd, pooped, ate his dinner and is being a wild man right now. I am positive he is fine and if he does get sick I will go to our animal ER.

I am so furious that a poison control center charges $65.00 to answer a question, Am I wrong?? Call and just listen to the recording. You ALL know money is no question if he is sick, I would spend what ever it takes IF he was sick....but to simply ask a question and it is that much?? Give me a break I am very :angry:.....What do you think?

Last edited:
OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Just did an extensive google, NO they are NOT! I am hoping his gas smells like roses tonight! I would laugh but I am so mad about the poison control center charging for answering a question....I need to calm down!

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
oh my..I am shocked. I know a human Poison Control Center is no charge.. I'd be shocked that a pet one is..and sad about it :(

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
That is not right, it is a simple question. I wonder if poison control for kids now charges. Next time call your local ER vet clinic, I am sure they will answer a quick question for you free of charge.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Now THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! I think the media should know about that....hmmmmmmm? :evil:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
You wanna know something funny? If I scroll to the bottom of this page for the ASPCA poison hot line the ad above it is for ROSES.....:LMAO:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This is true. Sedona gave Jesse a bottle of White out and she peirced it and it went all over her crate.

I had called the Poison control center not long ago (for humans) and it was free of charge, they answered my question, no problem at all.

So when I called to see about Jesse what the signs were of eating any of this-- I did not think she had swallowed any but *if* she had, what should I look for so I can get her to the vet ASAP? Well, I got the same message (although there was no price on the message, just a statement regarding fees) and then they told me on the line the price. I was actually pretty shocked and said politely, "Well, if I though she actually ate some I would NOT be on the phone with you. My ER vet charges less than that, thank you very much."

I did not want to complain, but yes I would have THOUGHT that was a volunteer service. Go figure. But if I am ever in a situation where I need to use it, I will!!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
That is just terrible!!! I just assumed it was a volunteer or charity run organisation!! I"m shocked!!

I wouldn't have thought rose petals were poisonous ....

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I wish I had logged on sooner. Roses are 100% safe besides the fact of sharp thorns. The seed containing "hip" is used commonly to make teas, and the petals are even used in salads in some places. I've fed roses to my hermit crabs and turtles as well. The only cautionary part would be glues used to hold the rose petals in place longer or any additives used to keep them fresher longer in flower shops.

L

Lucy-licious

Just did an extensive google, NO they are NOT! I am hoping his gas smells like roses tonight!

Sorry to burst that bubble [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] but in the words of OutKast
"lean a little bit closer See that roses really smell like poo-oo-ooo Yeah, roses really smell like poo-oo-ooo"

:yes: :yes::yes: :LMAO:

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=400]froggz[/MENTION], these roses had no thorns, and two of them have no petals!! :lol: I just took him out for his morning poo and no rose petals attached either.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We have deer in our neighborhood and roses are their very favorite food! Not even thorns deter them...As far as the aspca charging ..since they are a charity run organization..I presume they might make some $$ off this?? I agree that is really steep..but maybe if you were somewhere where there was no help available it would be worth it. I am not justifying it..just trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. They do a lot good things for animals and I am sure there is liability and costs they must cover.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I just posted a number that only charges $35 to answer a question...and sometimes you can't learn the information on the computer. Like in my case...Ahsoka had gotten a packet of cold pills...She's also MDR1 and I was concerned. It was worth peace of mind of $35...but $65 that is a lot of money...The $35 includes if there is a problem...And the vet you go to isn't current on how to treat such a case...they will advice the vet as to how to proceed. So...if you look at the bigger picture...the $35 isn't to bad. But that's almost half of what the other place charges!!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I was going to say I suppose some fee isnt too bad cuz you figure to get a vet to respond costs money I suppose but seriously 65 bucks?!?!?! 35 is a little more appropriate although I bet they would make more money if they charged closer to 15 or 20.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.