English bulldogs stinky butt

Goombabehr

Feb 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goomba
Iā€™m a new member here and a new English bulldog owner and we already love our Bullie! But we washed him yesterday heā€™s not stinky anymore but his butt! Is there any tips to reduces his butt stickiness?? I donā€™t think he has an irritation or itā€™s not infected. His butt just smells sour.. any tips from senior bulldog owner?? Please and thank you! FE4D5FC2-C419-4040-B502-CE4AF8624134.jpeg

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Iā€™m a new member here and a new English bulldog owner and we already love our Bullie! But we washed him yesterday heā€™s not stinky anymore but his butt! Is there any tips to reduces his butt stickiness?? I donā€™t think he has an irritation or itā€™s not infected. His butt just smells sour.. any tips from senior bulldog owner?? Please and thank you! View attachment 110978
LOL I have to answer because this happened to us. We even went to the vet, who explained to us about a "tail pocket." *click that brown type - it's a link w more info!!*
Your bully must have an area around the tail that gets dirty when he poos. You really need to wipe it often or it will reek and can get very irritated and infected. Some bullies have to get their poor tails amputated. If you can't figure it out, go the vet and ask them to help/show you how to clean it, or ask the people you got him from about it and see if they can help. Baby wipes (not too wet though, you don't want the area staying damp) for sensitive skin/no scent are the best. Wipe until there's no more funk. Sometimes our boy loved it and would nibble the air, heheh. Buy the big sizes and get used to using them! We kept a lidded garbage can outside on the porch and that's where our boy got his wipes and then we could easily toss the wipes and not have them in the inside trash. Sometimes if it got irritated, I also powdered him under there with anti fungal powder or powder from the vet. Welcome to the fun of owning a bully! PS Your baby is ADORABLE. I wish I could show you what you need to do for him!

Last edited:
OP
Goombabehr

Goombabehr

Feb 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goomba
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate the help! ������

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You are so welcome, this is the awesome place, please stick around!!! How old is your baby? @Goombabehr
I used to have the quote from the vet as my signature about the tail pocket thing bc it was so funny once we knew what we needed to do. BC our poor boy STUNK too and we had no clue what it was.
You may wish to start with wipes that are treated with antifungal meds, check out some of the threads here for recs, or ask the vet. He rec. we use gloves at first, but once I knew what to do, it got easier and I didn't get my hands dirty, but of course always washed them well before and after. I would dry with a paper towel after I used the baby wipes. I never used alcohol or witch hazel but everyone is different. I liked the wipes because I could contort them to fit up in there - pads were harder for me to use on him because his was so deep.

OP
Goombabehr

Goombabehr

Feb 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goomba
After you gave me the tip I cleaned the tail pocket and it already made a difference! Itā€™s still a little stinky but a lot less! Iā€™m just gonna keep doing it everyday and Iā€™m sure the stink will slowly go away. And it seems like he enjoyed it which Iā€™m very glad cuz I donā€™t wanna fight him just to clean his pocket haha :) My bully is almost two and we got him not too long ago. Heā€™s such a good boy and weā€™re super happy that heā€™s part of our lil family!

Johnth375

Feb 15, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hercules, Zeus, Achilles
Yeah, itā€™s probably the tail pocket! Our baby Zeus had the same issues when he was younger, it was really stinky! He also was agitated and itchy even if we would clean it on a daily basis. Your vet may or may not recommend a tail pocket surgery. Hopefully it isnā€™t that bad though and your baby should be good but if it is, itā€™s a very smooth surgery! Best of luck to you and your beautiful bully!

OP
Goombabehr

Goombabehr

Feb 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goomba
Thank you! Iā€™m already enjoying this forum and getting lots of tips and help!

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
After you gave me the tip I cleaned the tail pocket and it already made a difference! Itā€™s still a little stinky but a lot less! Iā€™m just gonna keep doing it everyday and Iā€™m sure the stink will slowly go away. And it seems like he enjoyed it which Iā€™m very glad cuz I donā€™t wanna fight him just to clean his pocket haha :) My bully is almost two and we got him not too long ago. Heā€™s such a good boy and weā€™re super happy that heā€™s part of our lil family!

Yay, he is lucky to have you @Goombabehr. He may have had it done before and is used to having it done! Glad it went well and good on you for taking care of him right away.

This place is the best. I hadn't been back since our sweetie passed in 2016 (and @2BullyMama helped me through it like no one else) and have just recently been able to post again.

OP
Goombabehr

Goombabehr

Feb 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goomba
Iā€™m very sorry to hear that. I canā€™t imagine losing our pets (more of a companion) I sure your bully was very loved and you made him the happiest a bully can be! I am glad you are back and helping new bully owners like me! Thank you again! Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ll be posting up more question and I would love your help! :D :) [MENTION=4447]bulliemommi[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beautiful bully boy... Goomba!!! Love his nameā¤ļø
[MENTION=4447]bulliemommi[/MENTION] has you covered with the pocket... witch hazel on a cotton pad is great to as it is a natural dry agent which helps keep the area dry.

It could also be anal glands. So keep us posted on how he is doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
after supper routine at our house, Malacetic wipes, clean 'butt-butt' , ears, and face before bed. All I have to do is say 'let's go clean butt-butt' he assumes position.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™m very sorry to hear that. I canā€™t imagine losing our pets (more of a companion) I sure your bully was very loved and you made him the happiest a bully can be! I am glad you are back and helping new bully owners like me! Thank you again! Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ll be posting up more question and I would love your help! :D :) @bulliemommi
[MENTION=18065]Goombabehr[/MENTION] You are so welcome and thank you so much for your kind post. It literally brought tears.

OP
Goombabehr

Goombabehr

Feb 18, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goomba
:D :D
after supper routine at our house, Malacetic wipes, clean 'butt-butt' , ears, and face before bed. All I have to do is say 'let's go clean butt-butt' he assumes position.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
after supper routine at our house, Malacetic wipes, clean 'butt-butt' , ears, and face before bed. All I have to do is say 'let's go clean butt-butt' he assumes position.[/QUOTE

Lol... Nyala has a tail pocket issue. Been over a year and I use my essential oil mix. Iā€™m in the bathroom preparing the wipes n oils mixture and sheā€™s in the living room. I just say from the washroom....come on Nyala letā€™s clean your tail....you hear her jump off the sofa running in the bathroom n position herself between my ankles. Duke follows, sees the wipes n makes a dash in the living. :rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog:

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Hahaha i too use the ā€œoilsā€ and Who would think that some of them just love this time of day LOL I too can give a call from anywhere saying ā€œletā€™s do your bootyā€ and thatā€™s like asking Hank if he wants a cookie or something yummy. Runs in the room slides across the floor onto the couch and ā€œpositions himselfā€ as well. Such characters .

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.