At what age do you think current dog should be before you get another dog?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I read an article last year that it's recommended to wait until our current dog turns at least 2 years old to get another one. Mainly so we don't get bombarded with med bills all at the same time due to them getting older.

When do you think is best?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We got all of our dogs quite close together .. the largest gap was between Maggie and Daddy. In the early years I would say it is definitely easier to have them fairly close together. Now Maggie has no time for Daddy because he's just too full of energy. Only the two schnauzers will play with him, because I don't think Schnauzers ever stop bouncing off the walls!!!

However, I do sometimes wonder about the medical bills in a few years time!! Coco will be 8 tomorrow (the shih-tzu poodle mix) and then the next one down after that is 6 - after that they are all pretty much close in ages. :crazy:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I never thought of the bills as being a reason. To me I think you have to get them kinda around the same age otherwise you would have a puppy who wants to party and an older pup who is sleeping more. lol. Course 2 years is hardly old but in 2 more years they would be 4 and more mellow while the 2 yr old pup would still be in party mode.

traciehorne

Feb 2, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey, Otis and Diesel
I have had both scenarios - two puppies together, and two years in between pups, and I have to say - It was easier for us having two puppies at the same time with house-training/teething/neutering. You get it all done at once. Now that we have 3 that are all 2 years apart - we have had a teething puppy in the house for the last 4 years. - And now that I type that.. WHAT WERE WE THINKING?? :lol: Just kiddin' ... we knew what we were getting in to when we chose to have the 4 legged kids over the 2 legged variety!!! :heart:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Hmm I never thought about the idea of being bombarded with medical bills because of them aging at the same time, guess I should keep that in mind for the future! I always thought of it in the sense that the older your current dog gets the less tolerant they will be of a puppies antics. So getting another dog while your current one is still young and energentic enough to keep up with and tolerate the puppy makes most sense to me.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Interesting question!

I agree with [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] - I would say that you do not want to wait too long in between getting dogs because the first dog gets used to becoming the only dog and it's harder for them to adjust, the older they get. For example, one of the reasons we decided to get Truman right away after Bentley died is that Linus was 4.5 and we didn't want to wait until he was older to get a puppy that he wouldn't feel like playing with. Particularly for bulldogs, I noticed right around 5.5-6 years old, Bentley became more intolerant of Linus' shenanigans and wanted peace and quiet. Now, I see Linus moving in that direction too. Puppies have a LOT of energy and much of will be directed at the other dog in the house, so I think the younger the first dog is, the better.

With respect to the article's contention that you should base the decision on finances - if someone doesn't have the money to raise two dogs and give them appropriate medical care at a moment's notice (anything can happen at any time), then they should devote their love and resources to one. In my case, Bentley passed away and we had to have him cremated ($), Linus had major ear infection and allergy issues ($$), and then Truman came along with his hip problems ($$$$$$$) - all within 3 months! Bentley and Linus were 2 years apart while Linus and Truman are 4.5 years apart - you can just never tell so I wouldn't get or not get a second dog based on the idea that if I space it right, I can avoid financial hardships, especially not bulldogs.

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I honestly don't feel that age is the main reason for medical bills. Look at our bulldogs...and the surgeries they've had...during their younger years. Though maybe with some breeds you might find that.

My only fear with having several pups under foot...and having one more timid due to feeling bullied by puppies trying to prove their alpha in the mix. I've read about this in a few books. It's one of the reasons that breeders are told to separate pups after a certain age if not placed in a home yet.

Sometimes a young dog can bring life back into an aging senior dog. When Butchie was realling going down hill fast...we prayed he would hold on until we could pick up Tank. Brought Tank into the house and Butchie lived a lil' over two more years. Gave him spunk he didn't even know he had. Though...you still have to watch the senior dog and their behavior. They shouldn't have to deal with a pup in their face 24/7...and the pup should be taught to "leave it". And be redirected to a toy or what have you so the senior dog can have some peace and quiet as well.

The only thing hard I think...is watching my brother who got two dogs from the same litter...deal with the "aging dog twice over"... But he had both of them put down at the same time...Their health was going down fast one more so than the other but both were dealing with declining health issues...and he couldn't see letting the other live without the litter mate it had lived with all its life. And let them cross Rainbow Bridge together...It's sort of bittersweet...I get teary eyed just typing it. So...that would be the only reason I wouldn't want dogs close in age...is to have the chance of losing them at the same or near the same time.

Members online

No members online now.