bare spots on my bull dog

john b

Feb 13, 2018
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
has anyone have experience in treating hair loss in various spots on your bull dog?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Welcome! Can you post a picture and give a little bit more info as there could be several reasons. How old is your pup and what are you currently feeding?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes.. pictures and more detail please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
[MENTION=18043]john b[/MENTION]
Can you describe the spots if you can't post a pic? Is the hair coming off in clumps with funk attached? Or is the skin clear and smooth underneath?

ghobber

Feb 14, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Daisy
I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.... lookiong for tips or solutions. I'm having the same issues. Miss Daisy is 6. Vet says he believes its a seasonal allergy and has ruled out thyroid issues. Started last summer and hasn't grown back. We've tried melatonin chews, etc. Doesn't appear to hurt her, shes a very happy dog. I just feel bad taking her outside w the lack of fur, it has to be cold even with a jacket. Thanks

md 2141.jpg
md 2142.jpg

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry if I'm hijacking this thread.... lookiong for tips or solutions. I'm having the same issues. Miss Daisy is 6. Vet says he believes its a seasonal allergy and has ruled out thyroid issues. Started last summer and hasn't grown back. We've tried melatonin chews, etc. Doesn't appear to hurt her, shes a very happy dog. I just feel bad taking her outside w the lack of fur, it has to be cold even with a jacket. Thanks

View attachment 110899
View attachment 110898
Like I asked OP, does the hair have funk attached to it when it comes out? Does it creep all over her and seem to spread? Or is it just hair loss? How has the vet treated it? Baths, antibiotics? Have you thought about doing an allergy test for her? *our allergy test was insane - he was allergic to SO much, including oak trees (our entire back yard) and potatoes, corn, oats, and most grains found in dog food. I literally could only find 3 kibbles he could eat and wish I could have done raw. But I know the worst was the environment for him but allergy shots didn't do a whole lot after a yr. He ended up on Atopica and that was expensive and still not 100%.

She is adorable! Our sweetie would look like a moth-eaten fool and he never seemed to hurt or care either lol. But it drove me batty. If you search my name, you will see tons of posts by me about this very subject and what worked for us even though it never went away completely.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

View attachment 110899
View attachment 110898

What at a beautiful bully!!!! That looks like season flank alopica. Fish oil will help... it helped Lambeau a lot but the one thing that totally cleared it up was switching to raw food.

ghobber

Feb 14, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Daisy
Like I asked OP, does the hair have funk attached to it when it comes out? Does it creep all over her and seem to spread? Or is it just hair loss? How has the vet treated it? Baths, antibiotics? Have you thought about doing an allergy test for her? *our allergy test was insane - he was allergic to SO much, including oak trees (our entire back yard) and potatoes, corn, oats, and most grains found in dog food. I literally could only find 3 kibbles he could eat and wish I could have done raw. But I know the worst was the environment for him but allergy shots didn't do a whole lot after a yr. He ended up on Atopica and that was expensive and still not 100%.

She is adorable! Our sweetie would look like a moth-eaten fool and he never seemed to hurt or care either lol. But it drove me batty. If you search my name, you will see tons of posts by me about this very subject and what worked for us even though it never went away completely.

Thanks so much for the info. There's nothing attached when it comes out, it's just a gradual loss. We're tried an antibiotic and continual baths. Have not considered an allergy test, maybe I'll ask about that next timer she goes in. Again, many thanks@!

ghobber

Feb 14, 2018
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Daisy
What at a beautiful bully!!!! That looks like season flank alopica. Fish oil will help... it helped Lambeau a lot but the one thing that totally cleared it up was switching to raw food.

Thank you ma'am for the fish oil tip and your kind words, we'll give it a try!

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks so much for the info. There's nothing attached when it comes out, it's just a gradual loss.

That is good to hear and leads me to think like @2BullyMama said, seasonal flank! Which won't hurt her! Maybe she doesn't need so many baths or does she get stinky? What shampoo do you use? I also suggest possible oily supplements for her too, like 3v caps, fish oil, or something similar. She may actually not have too many allergies - and those tests aren't cheap, but it did help us find out what foods our bully was allergic to. Once we cut those out, he never got brown tear stains in his folds or face ever again! PS and you are very welcome!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online