Other Dogs Reactions to Colossus

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
First, I apologize for not bribing responses with pictures as Im posting at work and have no pictures of Colossus on my work PC. Ill try to remedy that this evening.

Colossus is a fairly hyper (when around new people/dogs) 5yr old pup. I say pup, as we are still working on manners (thats on me not him). My question, does anyone else experience other dogs try to "front up" on your EBD? Colossus doesnt really make any moves towards other dogs (unless threatened, and then I snap the leash he sits), but does have a sense of swagger and aura of arrogance (again, he gets that from me as hes spoiled rotten). He never "strikes", growls, barks, etc at anyone when we are on our walks etc. Im trying to figure out if its me, his demeanor, or if other dogs are trying to place their dominance on Colossus. Now, this is only when walking around my condo complex, at the dog parks this isnt really an issue.

Does anyone have this same issue?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There are many dogs that don't seem to like EBD's. It could be because some are loud breathers, as when I got my last rescue-she is a very loud breather,and makes all kinds of noises. Even my own Bullies took this as growling at first! Dogs that are not used to "flat faces" sometimes don't recognize them as "dogs"(of course we think of them as little people) as they probably haven't seen others(bullies) much. Most EBD's seem to have no fear, and will just approach without a formal greeting, which other dogs take as an affront! Colussus should not take it personally, as it is not unusual. I am sure if they took the time to know him, they would see what a good guy he is!! Most EBDs think all people and dogs are thrilled to meet them! Not cautious at all! [MENTION=8448]RazrRila99[/MENTION]

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Ty is just the opposite. When we take our walks, we seldom encounter other dogs face-to-face but there are a few who are behind fences in their yards, they bark at us, and Ty cowers away,

All Ty wants to do is play, and he doesn't understand why this other dog is barking at him instead wanting to play as well. He'll look up at me like 'mom.....why is he making loud angry noises at me?'

OP
RazrRila99

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, Colossus sulks when I steer him away from dogs that constantly try to start stuff. The other pet owners feel so bad, because they know Colossus and know hes not going to do anything (we even have two mini pigs in the complex who Colossus swears are his cousins). Thank you for the response, I just wanted to make sure it wasnt something I was doing or something I could do better.
[MENTION=14954]Clermont[/MENTION] - Here is something that Colossus "prides" himself on (and this one's on me), he doesnt get phased when dogs are barking he just kinds turns and looks and says, "You gonna get in trouble." As he was a pup, we had three mini dauschaunds next door who would come out to the fence raise a ruckus, and then their owners would come out, scold them and Colossus wouldn't get scolded. Now as he walks around and hears dogs barking, he gets this snicker of 'oooooo, you gonna be in trouble' kind of thing. Colossus isnt a "player" he just wants to sit down next to you, you pet his head, scratch his chin/belly and hes a happy dog.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
(we even have two mini pigs in the complex who Colossus swears are his cousins). [MENTION=8448]RazrRila99[/MENTION] Well, I hope Colossus gets to hang out with the mini pigs,at least! They are smarter than those meanie dogs! :pig::rundog:

OP
RazrRila99

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
(we even have two mini pigs in the complex who Colossus swears are his cousins). @RazrRila99 Well, I hope Colossus gets to hang out with the mini pigs,at least! They are smarter than those meanie dogs! :pig::rundog:

He would, except he prefers the pigs "mom" to the pigs. Cant say I blame him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As Lynn stated, this tends to happen a lot with 'flat-face' breeds, other dogs just see them differently and react as such. Some will just ignore the 'flat-face' others will 'charge/attack/bark ... I seen it when I worked at a dog daycare... the bullies usually sat off to the side or played with the smaller dogs as the larger dogs just didn't have an interest in them

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.