Thumb sucking

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Okay this is a weird question, but it has gotten worse. When Bella was a pup, honest to God, she would put her thumb in her mouth if she was laying on her back.

Well now she sucks her thumb to go to sleep! I will, I promise get a video of this, but is seems like she is doing it more and more lately. I have never seen or heard of a dog doing this. Have you?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I know that a lot of bulldogs suckle themselves to sleep ... or lick their paws which drives my husband crazy because she sleeps with us! :crazy:

However, it's usually some kind of stuffed toy they suckle on ... never heard of them sucking their thumb! This I HAVE to see!!!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
I wonder if it's for comfort...It is why most children use this method of comfort...you say that you've noticed it more so than the typical. Makes me wonder if something has changed? How old is she? Could she be going into a cycle or something else change in the household or her schedule?

melanieian

Mar 29, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Brodie
LOL...too cute, would love to see a video of that. Brodie sucks his stuffed bear when he goes to sleep. He can be running around the house playing and if I give him his bear he plops down and sucks it and goes right to sleep. Adorable.

Jessica

Mar 28, 2011
Washington DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Barney
Aww, the thumb sucking sounds really cute. Barney sucks on he blanket at bedtime, and sometimes his bed, but that's the extent of it.

OP
B

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I have the camera next to me, waiting for it tonight. I will have it soon.

[MENTION=1922]cadillactaste[/MENTION], not really anything has changed here as far as routine. Bella is 18 months and Abby is 9 years. I know Abby has been diagonosed with dry eye, on drops and much more alert and active since. Maybe that is getting Bella nervous. :lol:

[MENTION=939]NikkiSchoolcraft[/MENTION], I am so glad you know what I am talking about, I thought everyone would think I was nuts w/o a video.

PukaMiniBulldogs

Mar 18, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Mai, Tai, and Tiki
I just wanna see a bulldog with tumbs!

LOL!!!

Sorry but I couldn't resist. I'm guessing your talking about thier dew claws?

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online