Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
This story could have ended much worse...
another example of why corporate Veterinary medicine should be avoided at all costs.
https://imgur.com/gallery/Rzn2y

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Awful story of dog being choked while getting groomed, but not a veterinary story. I wouldn't take my dogs to Petsmart to get groomed- they cage them after they groom them plus they don't always do a great job. Plus my dogs have picked up colds while being there. I prefer to wash my dogs at a do-it-yourself dog wash. Petsmart isn't bad if you just need a quick Pawdicure, but someone mentioned their vet does it for $5.00, so it's worth asking your vet if they do it there. I like Petsmart because they run specials like 20.00 off for each 100.00 purchased, so I'll buy a bag of dehydrated raw EasyRaw at that time.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
I saw that on FB:(
Just awful. They wouldn't have wanted me picking up my dog looking like that.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Oh, if that happened to one of my dogs, I would probably be in jail. Too many bad incidents happening at places like Petsmart and Petco.

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
If I picked up one of my babies looking like that, Hell would rain down upon them,
That would send me to a state of p!$$ed off that I have never been!!!!!!!!

seriously, they would probably have to call the cops to get me out of that store, and my hands off the groomers throat!!!!!
trust me, I would OWN a petsmart store.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Do it yourself are the best. I don’t alswa have it but I make time. For $10 and they (pet valu) supply all even to their dry liver treats...pffft no brainer! Thanks for sharing!

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Ty loves his groomer, I can tell when I pick him up he's the center of attention in the whole salon.

it's kinda funny, usually sitting on the loveseat in the check out area when I pick him up, or if he's in the grooming area he looks really comical here's great big 61lb bulldog amongst all the other little fru-fru dogs

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
This story could have ended much worse...
another example of why corporate Veterinary medicine should be avoided at all costs.
https://imgur.com/gallery/Rzn2y

This story is horrible, and it happens too many times that dogs are injured not just at groomers, but also doggie day cares, and things can also happen at vets. I bath my own guys at home in the tub, I have a hand held shower head which makes it easier to bath and rinse them. I don't do their nails, because they don't like it and they don't cooperate with me, they aren't aggressive about it, but I'm also afraid of hurting Dozer because he has white toe nails on his front paws, but all his back nails are black, so you can't see the quick. I take them across the street from me to the PetValu store and they have a groomer there who trims nails. They charge $10, and I stay there while he does it. He always does a good job. My vet will also do it, but she only does it if I have a vet appointment and I'm there already. I don't take them to the vet just for a nail trim. There are good and bad facilities everywhere, and I have used our Petsmart once, not for grooming, but for their boarding when we went away. I looked at many different facilities and the worse one was an actual dog boarding place that was in the country, had lots of property, a fenced in agility area for the dogs to play. They advertised lots of fresh air, play and exercise, and individual sleep areas. I came by to see for myself, and asked to see the areas. They took me to the agility area, it was clean and no dogs, I went through the indoor arena and it was filthy, the office at the front was smelly, and had dog hair everywhere, and they had a couple of dogs in a crate. I asked to see where the dogs were kennelled or where they slept, he seemed hesitant, but took me to there. It was in a huge metal structure, like you would see on a farm for storage or something. He opened the door and the dogs started barking, it was deafening. The lights were off so, they were in the dark, he said it was because they were sleeping. The dogs were all in crates, not in individual rooms like they advertised, and the crates were piled on top of each other. The smell was horrible in that building. I walked out of there and never returned. They did call me to ask if we would be bringing Dozer and Blossom in, but I said no, and told them I had made other arrangements. I should have told them why, so they would know why, but I didn't. Unfortunately there are many places like this out there, and you really have to check places out, do your research, and ask questions. My experience with Petsmart boarding was excellent, I went there twice before deciding to leave them there, I asked a ton of questions, and they asked me lots of questions as well. I had to fill out many pages of their likes, dislikes, if they were social, about their vaccinations, toys they like. They took me on a tour of the boarding rooms, they are all individual with a Kuranda bed in each room, they were all air conditioned. We brought our own food and treats, and they followed their feeding schedules, and potty schedules. They were taken for daily walks, and they have a play room, where they can play with other dogs. I told them that they had to be closely monitored while playing because bullies can become overheated or have problems with breathing if they play too hard. I asked that they not play more than 20 minutes, and they accommodated that. They also have video cameras in all the areas where, you can see your pets during the day, and what they are doing. When I got back, they had been well spoiled because the girls that stayed at the store during the night, (which I liked as well, because the animals are not left alone at night), would take Dozer and Blossom out with them and sit with them on the floor. They took a shining to them and spoiled them rotten. I would use them again, but I've heard about other Petsmarts that are not good. It depends on the staff, and you just have to do your research.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
OMG how awful!!! POOR GUNNER!!!! Why don't they install cameras in those grooming areas??? Sorry if someone already suggested that.....it just seems the best. The place that I have taken Joey all of her life (almost 3 years old) to get nails done has a closed door to the grooming area HOWEVER the head groomer who does Joey's nails gladly allowed me in to see how it goes. Joey knows just what to do, walks over to Heather's table, she lowers table, and Joey steps on and away they go. I think it is only right that we get to SEE what happens to our pups. It breaks my heart to think of how Gunner's owner feels.......I will do EVERYTHING to pass along his story.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for sharing!!!

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
my daughter used to take my grandog (a daschund with an attitude) to pet smart to get her nails trimmed. They would always make them bleed. She has since learned to do it herself.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I can't see the story cause I'm at work, will check it later.... but I totally agree - petsmart/Petco just are not the places to go for grooming

Dakota Bully

Sep 23, 2016
North Dakota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Diesel, Alise, Pia & Piglet Wiggle Britches
I am bathing 2 of my bullies today and was not looking forward to my back and knees hurting as I bend over our bathtub that long. Now I don't care that it will hurt me a little. That is nothing compared to what that poor baby went through. We are building an addition, eventually and I will get a doggie bath/grooming area then. I can't wait!! In the meantime...no more complaining for me over my aching back:facepalm2:

OP
oscarmayer

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Awful story of dog being choked while getting groomed, but not a veterinary story.
You are correct, not veterinary...TY for pointing that out, DO!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
That is awful, poor dog.

The only place I would ever leave my dog is at my vet. We take Monty to the self-wash at Petco if he needs a bath. Different height baths that they walk in so it really saves the back. They supply everything although we take our own shampoo, all for $10, what a deal! We also take him to Petco for his nail trims ($10) as the local vets charge $16 and I don't want to drive 40 miles round trip to his bully vet just for a manicure!

Most Reactions