How to best introduce my bully to cats

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Hi everyone! Long time no talk, sorry for not being around lately but I could really use your advice! I am in a relationship with a guy who has 5 cats and am wondering what the best way to go about introducing Murray to the cats. Murray has never been been around cats before but has always been friendly to dogs we meet at the vets office or in a pet shop. I know at least one of the cats supposedly doesnā€™t like dogs. Has anyone been through this before? I would appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks so much!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I think biggest problem will be cats attitude. Your boy most probably will be ok with cats. If Cats are unfriendly they can be very dangerous for dogs, as they are very fast to smack with the paw and eye can be damaged. And there is almost no way you can discipline cats, and make them behave. They are not really like dogs, they just coexist with their owners and rarely are trained like dogs. And 5 cats...Iā€™m sure at least one of them wonā€™t be happy to meet Murray...

SmashAttack

Aug 10, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
I wouldn't risk them meeting, not worth the potential for an eye swat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I think biggest problem will be cats attitude. Your boy most probably will be ok with cats. If Cats are unfriendly they can be very dangerous for dogs, as they are very fast to smack with the paw and eye can be damaged. And there is almost no way you can discipline cats, and make them behave. They are not really like dogs, they just coexist with their owners and rarely are trained like dogs. And 5 cats...Iā€™m sure at least one of them wonā€™t be happy to meet Murray...
i know they lived with a dachshund before and I think that went okay. Neither of us have kids, our pets are like our kids so weā€™re pretty willing to try anything to make it work

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hi everyone! Long time no talk, sorry for not being around lately but I could really use your advice! I am in a relationship with a guy who has 5 cats and am wondering what the best way to go about introducing Murray to the cats. Murray has never been been around cats before but has always been friendly to dogs we meet at the vets office or in a pet shop. I know at least one of the cats supposedly doesnā€™t like dogs. Has anyone been through this before? I would appreciate any advice you might have. Thanks so much!

I know someone who had to get their cat declawed because he was scratching their dog. I know it's disfiguring and cuts off the end of the cat's paw, but this cat was a rescue and would have been killed if not rescued by this person who already had a dog.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hey there Missy how are you? Well Murray has 5 snacks...lol

Are these cats declawed? I would try one on one see what happens. But watch for them claws if any. You canā€™t replace eyes.

One by one!

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Hey there Missy how are you? Well Murray has 5 snacks...lol

Are these cats declawed? I would try one on one see what happens. But watch for them claws if any. You canā€™t replace eyes.

One by one!
hi Helene! Weā€™re doing well! Hope all is well with you and your crew :) no, unfortunately none of the cats are declawed

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
hi Helene! Weā€™re doing well! Hope all is well with you and your crew :) no, unfortunately none of the cats are declawed

Wow...yeah for sure...start one on one. Get a pair of doggles. I always had cats but declawed. When I got my GS who was only 8weeks old we introduced him to buddy our cat who was already a couple years older. Buddy swung a few paws left n right at Major. Major got the message. Major never touched Buddy as buddy was there before him. Usually cats will get up n move not to be bothered as they are very independent. Are these cats old, young or mix? If young they will play together. Older they lose patience and will swing a paw or 2 to leave then along. Murray will get the message and will leave them alone. If Murray is very playful and will go after them cause heā€™s thinking itā€™s his new ā€œplay-friends ā€œ well yes get doggles.

OP
CCandMurray

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Wow...yeah for sure...start one on one. Get a pair of doggles. I always had cats but declawed. When I got my GS who was only 8weeks old we introduced him to buddy our cat who was already a couple years older. Buddy swung a few paws left n right at Major. Major got the message. Major never touched Buddy as buddy was there before him. Usually cats will get up n move not to be bothered as they are very independent. Are these cats old, young or mix? If young they will play together. Older they lose patience and will swing a paw or 2 to leave then along. Murray will get the message and will leave them alone. If Murray is very playful and will go after them cause heā€™s thinking itā€™s his new ā€œplay-friends ā€œ well yes get doggles.
Murray isnā€™t super duper active but I would say he is playful. Heā€™ll be 3 in March. The cats are all adults, 1 senior. 3 girls, two of which donā€™t get along but manage to stay away from each other and two boys. Definitely looking into doggles if anyone knows of good bully friendly ones please let me know!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray isnā€™t super duper active but I would say he is playful. Heā€™ll be 3 in March. The cats are all adults, 1 senior. 3 girls, two of which donā€™t get along but manage to stay away from each other and two boys. Definitely looking into doggles if anyone knows of good bully friendly ones please let me know!

https://www.amazon.com/Doggles-Originalz-Medium-Frame-Goggles/dp/B000O5JYLM

Get a little helmet...lol

Motorbully.jpg
Cats wont mess with our Murray!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14810]CCandMurray[/MENTION] I would introduce one cat at a time. I would also get Soft Claws nail caps are a simple solution when pet scratching is a problem and a preferred alternative to declawing. They are easy to apply at home and are perfect for cats of all ages. Soft Claws do not interfere with the normal extension and retraction of your cat's claws.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey lady!!! No experience.... just wanted to say HI!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.