ever wonder how bulldogs got their faces

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
The biological family Canidae /ˈkænɪdiː/ [3] (from Latin, canis, “dog”) is a lineage of carnivorans that includes domestic dogs, wolves, coyotes, foxes, jackals, dingoes, and many other extant and extinct dog-like mammals. A member of this family is called a canid (/ˈkænɪd/, /ˈkeɪnɪd/).[4] -Wickipedia

so if ALL dogs are decendants of Canidae, does anybody but me ever wonder............just how did the 'smooshed' face come to be?

I think about some really wierd stuff sometimes.
imagine what the guy that somehow got the first 'smooshed' face puppy thought.:ohmy::unsure::ohmy::unsure:

wierd stuff.............I'll go have more coffee....

OP
C

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I've read things like this before.
not much difference than the atrocious dog fights that unfortunately still crop up now and again.
there is a very, very special place in Hell for those people. and don't even get me started on Michael Vick.

but I wonder how they actually developed the deep nose wrinkles, that actually served a purpose to keep blood out of their eyes, when other dogs have snouts.
I began wondering when I saw MeShell's Mavis picture looking for treats,..........her profile.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] or [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] may have more insight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I've read things like this before.
not much difference than the atrocious dog fights that unfortunately still crop up now and again.
there is a very, very special place in Hell for those people. and don't even get me started on Michael Vick.

but I wonder how they actually developed the deep nose wrinkles, that actually served a purpose to keep blood out of their eyes, when other dogs have snouts.
I began wondering when I saw MeShell's Mavis picture looking for treats,..........her profile.

It's called "man made". Check the attached link see the difference.

Basically its what come out of a litter. You want wrinkles you keep those pups n breed them later on with other big wrinkle face....... And repeat with their pups. It's like a chain reaction. Same way for a specific colour you want.

https://dogbehaviorscience.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/100-years-of-breed-improvement/

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
From what I have read in the history of the bulldog, it was started by breeding a Mastiff and a Pug. Then refining it after that for the different purposes of the bulldog throughout history.

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
I saw this one several years ago and thought I'd share it today. I know, not exactly the answer you are looking but this one made me think.

When the God gave faces to the dogs long ago,
He found, when he had issued them there was still one dog to go-"Where is this dog's face?"He called aloud,
"I know I must have made it.There must be someone hereabouts who's clumsily mislaid it"
A shy young angel then then stepped up,"Forgive me, Lord" he said.
He stuttered and he stammered and he turned a little red-" I never thought it was a face-it fell out of your bag.So I thought you have discarded it as just a piece of rag.-"So I promptly went and use it for very many things,like polishing up the halos and waxing up the wings.
"It's creased and crumpled as you see-in thruth it's a disgrace...
"I don't know how my dear Lord, you can use it for a face."I realized it's all my fault, and there is no one else to blame. I trust you can forgive me Lord, My heart is so full of shame.
"Of course I have forgiven you, but here we've got a mess,So I will make amends to their poor dog and him I will truly bless."He will be called an "English Bulldog"that's about the only place where the people are so silly as to love an ugly face. But he will be kind and gentle and of courage he'll be full-As well and loyalty-the ugly, lovely bull"
And that is how, my children, in that long-gone year of grace the dear old English Bulldog got his lovely, ugly face...

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I'm pretty sure that the first 3 seconds of this video will explain it all...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm pretty sure that the first 3 seconds of this video will explain it all...

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] funny video. It always makes me wince when I see people who let their pups go down stairs. If they only knew how bad on their undeveloped joints it is.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION]It always makes me wince when I see people who let their pups go down stairs.
Too true.
That's how Lala came to us...with a broken left rear leg. Owner said she "fell" down the steps(I think she probably jumped) and he could not afford to fix her so he surrendered her to OTR. That was the best day of her life. We had her leg repaired with 2 pins and she's been wide open ever since.

Most Reactions