English bulldog puppy not cleaning herself

joshoverton

Jan 9, 2018
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Puppy
Hi I wounder if any experienced owner could help. I've always had boxers and even as pups theyve cleaned (licked ) themselves.

However got an English bulldog and she is 16 weeks and for the last 2 weeks I've had her she hasn't licked herself. Even her paws. Is this normal?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I would say it's pretty normal. The bulldogs who lick themselves are the ones that have allergies from the ones I've owned.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I would say it's pretty normal. The bulldogs who lick themselves are the ones that have allergies from the ones I've owned.
same for all that we've had...licking would be cause for concern, not the other way around

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree it is normal, that bullies don't tend to lick themselves or paws unless they have allergy symptoms. Most bullies can't reach their privates to be able to clean themselves because of their shapes. I just use unscented sensitive baby wipes and clean their area for them. I also use the wipes to clean their eyes, ears and their facial folds. When my female was spayed the vet didn't give her a cone after her surgery, and she never once licked or bothered her sutures, because she couldn't reach them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the others.... also, if you mean private areas--- just in case-- they normally can not reach [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hi I wounder if any experienced owner could help. I've always had boxers and even as pups theyve cleaned (licked ) themselves.

However got an English bulldog and she is 16 weeks and for the last 2 weeks I've had her she hasn't licked herself. Even her paws. Is this normal?

An EBD who doesn't lick is a good thing-means no allergies. An occasional lick is normal, but constant licking is an allergic reaction to something. Be happy! Clean her girlie parts,nose ropes,check ears and dance!!!

OP
J

joshoverton

Jan 9, 2018
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Puppy
Hi guys thanks for replies. I understand that but surely she should be licking her paws when dirty no? Many thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Agree with the others.... also, if you mean private areas--- just in case-- they normally can not reach [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I first adopted my Frenchie I didn't think she could lick her private parts since she never did, not even after she was healing after her spaying without wearing an e-collar. But now she licks her private parts once a day. I'm not sure if all Frenchies can do that, mine is abnormally long, and she whelped her pups naturally without a c section ( when she was a backyard breeder ) .

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.