Bulldog Home alone

7oniarc

May 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
Hi,

I have a two-year-old bulldog that is home alone from 8am-6pm. I live in a small apartment, so she had the run of the place (no accidents), she sleeps all day... but I wanted to ask if it's not a good thing to leave her alone for 10hours :(

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Hi,

I have a two-year-old bulldog that is home alone from 8am-6pm. I live in a small apartment, so she had the run of the place (no accidents), she sleeps all day... but I wanted to ask if it's not a good thing to leave her alone for 10hours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi,

I have a two-year-old bulldog that is home alone from 8am-6pm. I live in a small apartment, so she had the run of the place (no accidents), she sleeps all day... but I wanted to ask if it's not a good thing to leave her alone for 10hours :(

It is quite long... any chance of a mid-day pet walker? We have one ... 30 minutes for 15$

BREWBADGER

Mar 5, 2016
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Vader and Reya
It sucks leaving them alone.. and I feel guilty about it myself. Mine are left in their playroom from 7 to 5. You could try a day of doggie daycare to break up the routine and give her a play day.
I am currently looking for a new one as the last daycare didn't work out. I am off every other Friday and weekends which does help some.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Hi,

Hi! First I love the name Dinah! So you are questioning the length already, so I think you’re answering your own question. I found a semi retired neighbor that comes and takes Joey out if I am out for the day. Any chance that you could do that?

ALSO, I work from home most days and there are times that Joey goes poop and pee at 630 am and then sleeps all day and wakes up around 4pm then wants out. I am right there when she’s ready to go, she’s had run of the house since 10 months or so and she’s 2.5 years now no accidents. So if it makes you feel better she chooses when and it’s sometimes quite long.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Moderator...you can censure and delete Me. Not Me personally. I don’t want to be deleted. I meant my post. Sometimes I shoot from the hip when I shouldn’t. Sorry. I’m putting myself in time out now.

I'll take care if it when I get to a computer. You can edit if you want

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Hi,

Hey, not an expert by any means as we've only had our bulldog for 3 weeks...my girlfriend and I both work. I know this is a much debated topic and everyone has their views. I think when the dog is young its very important to have someone at least midday. When they are young they shouldn't be alone all day also helps with training. Fortunately I work 3 miles from my house so during lunch I go home to let him out at about 12:30. As others have said, I'd recommend finding someone to visit midday. The max we have left him alone since we got him was 5 hours and that was NYE.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You wouldn’t be the only one that owns a dog that gone 10hrs on daily basis. It is long for any pet. Sometimes our hands are tied. Like mentioned try a doggie daycare to break the day a few times a week. Preferably daily but if you can’t a couple days a week is better than nothing. Can you bring her to a family member or friend that doesn’t work? Like babysitting a child. Hard.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
As stated 10 hours is a long time for a dog to be home alone. Have you checked out Rover.com? Maybe you can get someone to come over and give her a walk or some play time.

OP
7oniarc

7oniarc

May 9, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
We live in the East Coast, and the whether is cold. I try to go home for lunch and visit with her..., but even if I am working from home, she sleeps ALLLLL DAY...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
We live in the East Coast, and the whether is cold. I try to go home for lunch and visit with her..., but even if I am working from home, she sleeps ALLLLL DAY...

Oh....she slept all day even while your home?!?! Basically, any dog even EB that can sleep all day while your at home.... the dog needs to get out more and do things with you outside on daily basis. She needs to socialize outside the house for sure and with other people. This might sound odd to some dog owners but a dog that young sleeps all day will end up developing healthy issues down the road. Just like humans.

Cira33

Jan 19, 2018
Country
Serbia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ronnie
My english bulldog Ronnie is home alone for 3 hours a day yet I find it very difficult not to be with him all the time :(

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
It’s hard when you need to go make a living. Sometimes, It is what it is....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.