Alrighty Then

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
Let me begin by assuring you that on some level I do know that Ollie is not a real child. I really do. But, Iā€™m like a maternal kind of person. I taught emotionally disturbed children for ten years. Then I spent seventeen years as a middle school principal. And I have two grown children and 5 grandchildren. And three dogs. Ollie is the baby boy dog. My husband and I are retired. Except for when we travel weā€™re home 24/7. Iā€™ve always got someone, including my husband and Ollie to baby and nurture and mother. Whew, that was long, but I wanted to paint an accurate picture.

Iā€™m maybe seeing that Ollie is very dependent on us. He sort of clings to us. Heā€™s very very sweet and gentle. He likes to sit or lay on my lap. He canā€™t fit up in the chair with my husband anymore. The boys next door come over and hug and love on him and just sit with him on the driveway. Our other two dogs are small and canā€™t really play with Ollie the right way. Theyā€™re sometimes really mean to him, but he never holds a grudge.

So, Iā€™m thinking about putting Ollie in doggie daycare for two mornings a week. I want him to have an opportunity to play with some other real, kind of bigger, rougher playing dogs. But...I donā€™t want him to change, to become rambunctious or aggressive. Iā€™m afraid he might get hurt because heā€™s too big for the little dogs, but too young and smallish for the big dogs at daycare. I recently remember reading here about 2 bullies getting thrown out of daycare for fighting.

I want him to have an outlet and learn about other dogs in the world and not constantly be home with two overprotective old people and two sissy boy fluffy dog brothers. I want him to have an opportunity to be the dog he was bred to be.

I am apprehensive about exposing him to potential not nice dogs, getting hurt or picking up other dog germs.

Iā€™m really not crazy, I just need some advice. I want a happy, healthy, well balanced bully boy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
This does not sound crazy at all. I've stressed about the same thing (Joey is an only dog) Sorry, I have no input, I have not yet figured this out for Joey. I wanted you to know that you're not the only one that feels this way. I've tried constantly to let Joey play with her "dog cousin" but he is much older, food and toy possessive, this scared me and, like you, I want Joey to stay sweet and not pick up bad habits or be exposed to aggression, ever. So, I will watch this thread for others to give some insight. Thanks for starting a great conversation !

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
I think it is important to socialize dogs.
besides our bully, we have a 9 y old Boston terrier, and a 14 year old Yorkie, whom my husband has always been super over protective of. Even as a small pup, he wouldn't let her play with the boston's or even other human children because "she might get hurt....she's so little" so now we have a real problem. She is a Miss touch-me-not-diva-princess, who doesn't like anybody or anything, and everything must be done her way or she will have a tantrum and stop eating or pee on something.
He was so protective we took her on all our vacations and overnight trips, There's a very nice (and pricey) kennel in our town, but he won't let her stay because she wouldn't like it.

THE RESULT..........we cannot go on vacations or even overnight trips because we have nobody to stay with Isabelle, and if Ty even looks at her-seriously, just look at her!!!! she gets all agressive growling and barking and my husband comes running.

so YES, it's very important to socialize dogs at young age to different people, environments and animals.

just thinking.............

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I think it is important to socialize dogs.
besides our bully, we have a 9 y old Boston terrier, and a 14 year old Yorkie, whom my husband has always been super over protective of. Even as a small pup, he wouldn't let her play with the boston's or even other human children because "she might get hurt....she's so little" so now we have a real problem. She is a Miss touch-me-not-diva-princess, who doesn't like anybody or anything, and everything must be done her way or she will have a tantrum and stop eating or pee on something.
He was so protective we took her on all our vacations and overnight trips, There's a very nice (and pricey) kennel in our town, but he won't let her stay because she wouldn't like it.

THE RESULT..........we cannot go on vacations or even overnight trips because we have nobody to stay with Isabelle, and if Ty even looks at her-seriously, just look at her!!!! she gets all agressive growling and barking and my husband comes running.

so YES, it's very important to socialize dogs at young age to different people, environments and animals.

just thinking.............

Solution: you and I can go on trips and leave the one who spoiled the diva Home with her. My daughter lives with us so built in babysitter. Weā€™re going away for 6 weeks in April. Transatlantic cruise for 2 weeks over to Ireland and then four weeks in UK. Itā€™s a dirty job, but someoneā€™s got to do it.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I consider both Jax and Louie as my children and definitely treat them as such. I have even been told I loved my dogs too much. People ask me all the time if my son gets jealous. My response is my son is 20 years old, he's not a baby.

Socialization in dogs is very important. Jax (my 4 year old Frenchie) always went to daycare since I got him. And since day one, he was always in with the big dogs because of the way he played. I never had any issues whatsoever and he LOVED to go. Then Louie comes into the picture and I start sending him to daycare. He was always in the with the big dogs as well. And he LOVED to go as well. Then in July 2017 Jax had to have surgery to repair a herniated disc in his neck and he was diagnosed with IVDD. Once he fully recovered, the vet said he can go on being a dog and continue to go to daycare. So at first I was hesitant because whether or not it's actually true, Jax is now fragile in my eyes. But I did eventually send him back. His 2nd time back, there was an incident an altercation between a couple dogs occurred and Jax got caught up in the middle. One of the dogs picked up Jax by his ear and flung him around. He ended up needing stitches. So let's just say that was the last time either of my boys have been to daycare.

Since then, they have just been playing with each other at home. It is much easier not sending them to daycare since they have each other to play with and they usually have a few good play sessions each day. We recently moved and there is a daycare near us and sometimes I think I will send Louie after he gets neutered just because he has such high energy but I really don't know if I will or not. I think I can say that Jax is forever done with daycare just because I don't want to have to worry about him getting hurt.

Your solution: get another bulldog!!!

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
Izzy won't even tolerate my daughter, whom she grew up with!!!!!!!!! we went to New Orleans for 7 days last year, as expected she barely ate, and Mandi said she got up one morning with eight pee spots through out the house!!!
so we lost the only baby-sitter we had.
so home one of us stays 24/7:(

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Francesca aka Fran aka Mama Beans
Treating your bully like a child is absolutely relatable!

Have you taken him to a dog park? Frans ā€œsmallā€ at 50lbs but since sheā€™s the weight requirement she plays on the big dog side. She loves running around with the big boys! And you still have the opportunity to monitor their interactions with other dogs and see how they respond. Just a suggestion! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. [emoji190][emoji252]

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names

Have you taken him to a dog park? Frans ā€œsmallā€ at 50lbs but since sheā€™s the weight requirement she plays on the big dog side. She loves running around with the big boys! And you still have the opportunity to monitor their interactions with other dogs and see how they respond. Just a suggestion! [emoji4]

Also wanted to mention, Francesca is 9 months and our first and only dog. She is absolutely spoiled and we have a big yard so she doesnā€™t get a ton of interaction with other dogs on a normal basis. She is used to her skin siblings though i have a 10,8 and 5 year old. Sheā€™s a sweety and has never shown signs of aggression even when she is eating a treat or playing with a loved toy. My kids can smother her or grab the toy and she never gets vicious. Just a little background.. taking her to the dog park she was in her absolute glory!

7bcf981105c13c60c0aebd4f82d8c853.jpg

a2eda64eff54e80ed4cc13ed3a591a54.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I personally donā€™t go to dog parks any more. But but if you have no choice itā€™s a place to start with. Make sure the first few times you bring your dogs heā€™s on a leash. Walk around so he gets use to the park, seeing dogs running everywhere etc. At 6 months is young to be running loose. Or find a on leash dog park. More control on dogs. Both my sons as most knows they each have 3 dogs of their own. One son has 3 grumpiest and the other has 3 very active dogs. Those are the ones you see mostly in photos I call ā€œ the cousinsā€ are here. Both of mine are curious dogs and will go up to anything n anyone. I know one thing, I would never prevent myself not going on vacation. Trust me I would figure out something even if my sons couldnā€™t watch them. Thereā€™s always a plan B. Loll

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
If I had to choose between either a dog park or daycare, I personally would go with daycare. At daycare, the dogs have to be either vaccinated or show titer tests. With a dog park, you have no idea if the dogs have diseases or not. Plus at daycare, if you have an aggressive dog, it wouldn't be allowed there (of course little altercations can still happen). Again, at a dog park, you have no idea what kind of dogs are there.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
I consider both Jax and Louie as my children and definitely treat them as such. I have even been told I loved my dogs too much. People ask me all the time if my son gets jealous. My response is my son is 20 years old, he's not a baby.

Socialization in dogs is very important. Jax (my 4 year old Frenchie) always went to daycare since I got him. And since day one, he was always in with the big dogs because of the way he played. I never had any issues whatsoever and he LOVED to go. Then Louie comes into the picture and I start sending him to daycare. He was always in the with the big dogs as well. And he LOVED to go as well. Then in July 2017 Jax had to have surgery to repair a herniated disc in his neck and he was diagnosed with IVDD. Once he fully recovered, the vet said he can go on being a dog and continue to go to daycare. So at first I was hesitant because whether or not it's actually true, Jax is now fragile in my eyes. But I did eventually send him back. His 2nd time back, there was an incident an altercation between a couple dogs occurred and Jax got caught up in the middle. One of the dogs picked up Jax by his ear and flung him around. He ended up needing stitches. So let's just say that was the last time either of my boys have been to daycare.

Since then, they have just been playing with each other at home. It is much easier not sending them to daycare since they have each other to play with and they usually have a few good play sessions each day. We recently moved and there is a daycare near us and sometimes I think I will send Louie after he gets neutered just because he has such high energy but I really don't know if I will or not. I think I can say that Jax is forever done with daycare just because I don't want to have to worry about him getting hurt.

Your solution: get another bulldog!!!

Iā€™ll tell my husband you said that.

OP

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie

We have a dog park nearby. It has big dog section and small dog section. We took our small dogs there a couple of times. Mostly old people are on the small dog side with their elderly small dogs. The people sit there with their small dogs on their laps and gossip gossip gossip. No one, human or dog really gets off the bench.
On the big dog side there are a lot of pit bull macho type dogs and owners. A much younger bunch than the other side. They have their little cliques too. Also, they tend to not clean up after their dogs.
My vet said he loves our dog park. It sends a lot of business his way.
Iā€™m really leery of our particular dog park.

megskee

Jun 26, 2017
Delran, NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
We have a dog park nearby. It has big dog section and small dog section. We took our small dogs there a couple of times. Mostly old people are on the small dog side with their elderly small dogs. The people sit there with their small dogs on their laps and gossip gossip gossip. No one, human or dog really gets off the bench.
On the big dog side there are a lot of pit bull macho type dogs and owners. A much younger bunch than the other side. They have their little cliques too. Also, they tend to not clean up after their dogs.
My vet said he loves our dog park. It sends a lot of business his way.
Iā€™m really leery of our particular dog park.

Wow! I really only took fran on a whim because i was home sick and we were getting new windows in our house so didnā€™t want to keep her there. My Park was super nice and so were the people. You could tell they were regulars, they all knew each otherā€™s dogs names etc but were very warm and inviting to us newbs. Sorry that your park doesnā€™t seem to have the same atmosphere [emoji17] fran made great friends with a big ole Labrador named ā€œjooceyā€ one dog was young and kept trying to mount her but i kindly asked his owner to please have his dog stop trying to molest my innocent sweet pure baby lol. Either way i only have my experience! Hope you find something constructive that works for your boy!

taytoD

Dec 11, 2017
Chicago area
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tayto
Very interesting thread! Kind of in the same boat as Tayto is 8 almost 9 months and loves playing with bigger dogs. I have taken him to day care a few times and he always seems to love it. His problem is he plays very rough almost like he doesn't know his own size. Not sure if day care is helping or hurting that ha.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.