To castrate or not to castrate? That is the question.

pauline

Dec 30, 2017
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Hobson
Hi everyone

Hobson is 9 weeks old and I wondered what peoples views are on castration. Hobson is a family pet so we are not going to be showing him or breeding from him what do you all think? Are there any advantages / disadvantages? Thanks in advance.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everyone

Hobson is 9 weeks old and I wondered what peoples views are on castration. Hobson is a family pet so we are not going to be showing him or breeding from him what do you all think? Are there any advantages / disadvantages? Thanks in advance.

My GS was castrated. Biggest mistake I did and regretted it to this day. He was always on the 24/7 guard mode but yes itā€™s a GS. I personally find it didnā€™t help him whatsoever. Even got worst. I always said to myself, next dog I get, never again. Yes that is MY opinion and some wonā€™t agree. There is more n more studies proving castrations n neutering has no effect on a dog being healthier. When I got Duke, my white face bully, I decided on a vasectomy. Not all vets do this as itā€™s not taught in vet schools. But there are more n more vets doings this nowadays. Again this is my opinion, I went for that option. I wanted him to keep his little jewels n go through what Mother Nature gave him. Itā€™s been almost 6months now n he has NO issues of what people might think of a dog going through with their hormones n humping etc. He doesnā€™t hump on Nyala or anything. He did in the beginning as it takes a couple months for a vasectomy ā€œto kick inā€ as we say. Yes he smells her butt as all dogs do but thatā€™s just normal male and even female sniffing. Today, people are feeding their dogs way better than 10yrs ago. Itā€™s not the neutering or castrations will make a dog healthier...itā€™s all about the food youā€™re feeding them. Exactly like humans. Old saying, You are what you eat....or...You eat what you are... Some members will not have the same opinion as I and thatā€™s ok cause to each(s) own when it comes to beliefs. I respect that. All this to say, up to you what you believe in. Bare in mind most vets will NOT guide yo towards a vasectomy as they didnā€™t learn in class n their brains are from the old school n donā€™t want to adventure in new modern world.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
In Europe people castrate male dogs usually in case of behavioural issues - running away or excessive humping, weeping at home, aggression etc. Females are usually always sterilised if not intended for breeding.
I opted to leave my 2 yo boy intact, bcs we are happy with his personality, and there is no need to castrate him. Recent research shows that early castration of bulldogs increases probability of joint problems and certain cancers, also dogs become prone to obesity. At the same time I know that after 5 yo intact dogs develop prostatic Enlargement which is reversible with castration, so I will may be do this later.

OP
pauline

pauline

Dec 30, 2017
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Hobson
Thank you much appreciated xxx

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
In Sweden most dogs are intact and we have never considered neutering Castor who is four and a half now.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
The bones should have finished growing by 12-14 months of age so neutering after that will not cause hip dysplasia.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.