stacey333

Aug 10, 2015
florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
tripper and bailey
Hello,
I had a quick question for everyone about vaccines. I looked a little through out the site but I didn't come across what i was looking for. I took my 6 year old male today for his annual check up..no health issues by the way, anyway he only needed his distemper shot because last year he received the 3 yr rabies. I don't remember him acting like this last year because if he did I probably wouldn't of had him get the vaccine. He is showing all the signs of common side effects lazy,mopey ,limping a little like its sore and a little spacey but still concerning to me..he can be a little dramatic at times too so that doesn't help..lol but my question is can i help ease his discomfort in any way or watch for something that Im not noticing that could be harmful . Like I said he has never acted like this the 3 yrs i have had him with routine vaccinations..thank you for any input

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You can give him 2 25mg Benedryls and see if that helps. When we do our pups I tell our vet to premed them before the vaccines. It's a Steroid/Benedryl shot to help with a reaction. Once they get over a year old, I will only get their shots every 4 or 5 years. Do a titer if you want to make sure they are good. I do not give ours Lipto either, too many horror stories. I wouldn't do the rabies if it wasn't against the law not to.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hello,
I had a quick question for everyone about vaccines. I looked a little through out the site but I didn't come across what i was looking for. I took my 6 year old male today for his annual check up..no health issues by the way, anyway he only needed his distemper shot because last year he received the 3 yr rabies. I don't remember him acting like this last year because if he did I probably wouldn't of had him get the vaccine. He is showing all the signs of common side effects lazy,mopey ,limping a little like its sore and a little spacey but still concerning to me..he can be a little dramatic at times too so that doesn't help..lol but my question is can i help ease his discomfort in any way or watch for something that Im not noticing that could be harmful . Like I said he has never acted like this the 3 yrs i have had him with routine vaccinations..thank you for any input

Dont panick, distemper is a nasty sickness and vaccine against it is MLV usually, that stands for modified live vaccine. That means, that like flu vaccine can cause light flu symptoms, the same here, vaccine is alive, and can cause some light symptoms in your dog. It is also possible that he experiences fever, because when immune system meets vaccines, during the process of building immune response it usually causes elevated body temperature, which can make your dog feel unwell. It usually doesn’t require special treatment, just let him rest, keep him warm, give him lots of hugs and kisses. He will fell better in 3 days.
P.s. after his shots this summer my Tank was awfully sick, he lost appetite, was somnolent, then agitated, shedded a lot, and it was back to normal only in 1 week.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
You can give him 2 25mg Benedryls and see if that helps. When we do our pups I tell our vet to premed them before the vaccines. It's a Steroid/Benedryl shot to help with a reaction. Once they get over a year old, I will only get their shots every 4 or 5 years. Do a titer if you want to make sure they are good. I do not give ours Lipto either, too many horror stories. I wouldn't do the rabies if it wasn't against the law not to.

Giving steroid and anti inflammatory shot is not the best strategy, as it reduces immune response, which contradicts the very idea of vaccination. You vaccinate to teach immune system to give response to certain agent. Using S-AI shot routinely BEFORE vaccination just reduces immune response and can cause incomplete responce to vaccine, which means that your dog isn’t fully protected from disease. It can be useful in case of severe allergic reaction to vaccine, though.
Titer apporoach is absolutely preferable, as rabies immune response can last up to 7 years, so just take titer of antibodies and if it’s high enough, skip the vaccination.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I agree, once an adult, give dog a rabies shot every 3 years to cover legalities, and titres every 5 years to see if you need the core vaccine. Better to avoid all other vaccines if you can. It's better to find someone who can watch your dog than to use a boarding facility,eg. Rover.com , thus avoiding requirement for bordetella vaccine.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello,

Great advice from the gang