Help. Do you recommend 2 girl bulldogs or girl/boy bulldogs combo

staciepap

Apr 6, 2013
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Hi there,

I wondered if you could help me. I have a beautiful girl English bulldog named coco who we decided to breed because we wanted another bulldog and decided the best way for her to bond with the puppy was to have her own. It has been one heck of a ride but so worth it. We have 3 beautiful puppies and I am starting to wonder which one we will keep. We had been told by someone at some point that 2 female bulldogs just donā€™t get a long. So I just always knew when the puppies came we would keep a male no questions asked. But the problem is that one of the female dogs just seems to love me. She just is so precious, affectionate and always wants to be by me and even her momma. She is a cuddler and the second she sees you comes to you. Ugh she has made me fall in love with her and now Iā€™m feeling so confused. I never thought I would even entertain the thought of keeping a female dog but she is so precious that I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this. If you have 2 or even 3 bulldogs would you mind sharing your experience. Do you have the same sex dogs? Do they get along? Is it better to have a male and a female dog? If the two girls get a long now, is there still a big chance that when the puppy is older they may not get along and compete since they are girls? My dog is definitely an alpha! We do have another dog (my brothers dog is a male) and sometimes my girl can be territorial. Thank you so much for any help. I would sure love to keep the boy and the girl but not sure my family will go for that.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
I have no professional opinion! But would love to see pics!!
We have a male and three females. Not all English Bulldogs! One male Pitt mix (7yrs old)one female Pitt mix (9 yrs old) a female boxer (6 yes old) and female English Bulldog (she is the youngest at just over a year) they all get along.

I am the Alpha!! Lol

kristimorrill

Aug 10, 2013
san diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie, Daisy and George
We have 2 girls and a boy! They are inseparable. Just make sure to give your 1st baby just as much love and attention as the new one...you will have no problems at all.
QUOTE=staciepap;724482]Hi there,

I wondered if you could help me. I have a beautiful girl English bulldog named coco who we decided to breed because we wanted another bulldog and decided the best way for her to bond with the puppy was to have her own. It has been one heck of a ride but so worth it. We have 3 beautiful puppies and I am starting to wonder which one we will keep. We had been told by someone at some point that 2 female bulldogs just donā€™t get a long. So I just always knew when the puppies came we would keep a male no questions asked. But the problem is that one of the female dogs just seems to love me. She just is so precious, affectionate and always wants to be by me and even her momma. She is a cuddler and the second she sees you comes to you. Ugh she has made me fall in love with her and now Iā€™m feeling so confused. I never thought I would even entertain the thought of keeping a female dog but she is so precious that I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with this. If you have 2 or even 3 bulldogs would you mind sharing your experience. Do you have the same sex dogs? Do they get along? Is it better to have a male and a female dog? If the two girls get a long now, is there still a big chance that when the puppy is older they may not get along and compete since they are girls? My dog is definitely an alpha! We do have another dog (my brothers dog is a male) and sometimes my girl can be territorial. Thank you so much for any help. I would sure love to keep the boy and the girl but not sure my family will go for that.[/QUOTE]

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
no info here on girl boy thing but how oh HOW could you post all that and not share pctures???? ;) and if it were me, I would keep that little girl no question! I did have a Shih Tzu that i had pups, and no intention of keeping a pup (they were for family) but!!!!!! this one little girl, stole my heart and i hers. She was born into my hands, and died in my arms :( Love that girl to the depths of my soul. Some are just ment to be.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
IMHO a boy and girl combo would be best... although we have had other combos that have worked out perfectly here. I would say that the double female would be the least favorite... Lol

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we have two females. One we got as a puppy who is now 6 yo, and the other is a senior we adopted last year. The senior is more dominant, but we knew that they would get along great because our first Lola is very submissive. If both females were dominant, I think we'd have some scuffles.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8537]staciepap[/MENTION] I have 4 females, and 1 male-3 females are EBD's. I have always had 4 or 5 females at a time, and never had trouble! In this "batch" there is one female, who is selfish with toys, and that is the only time there is a problem-but I correct it! There are never fights over food! As long as everyone gets equal attention, I think it would go well.

david B

Dec 28, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Maybull, Chaos, Coco
We have 3 females, and although they were a bit testy with eachother at first, nothing major, and they all get along fine.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
You already fell in love with her, you canā€™t let her go. From my experience 2 females can live peacefully together, so I would try my luck and leave her!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
My two female bulldogs started out playing, but after a while they started competing to become alpha and fought quite ferociously. I had to rehome one of them. I would advise you to keep the male, but if you do keep the female, make sure to behave as a strong alpha, so that the two dogs don't compete to be the alpha in the family.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have noted.... chances are better with the male, but if you are a strong leader and keep consistent rules with them (all humans in house will have to follow)... it can work.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
i doubt youā€™ll get the right answer. It will be more like ā€œa chanceā€ youā€™ll end up with. Iā€™ve always had males n rather have just males. Nyala is my first female n to be honest with you, she sure can be nasty with Duke. I need to put her to her place often. Sheā€™s getting much better as she knows sheā€™s not the boss. Iā€™ve seen her pick him up n toss him. My son has 2 female Pitbulls n they are fantastic with each other n others. So who knows whatā€™s going to happen with your decision. At Xmas we had all 8 dogs together and itā€™s absolutely amazing how they all get along cause they all know they are no alpha in their pack. Like Christine said and Iā€™m doing with Nyala, up to you to make a point to show whoā€™s the alpha of the house n especially outside. So basically imo, select whatever you want and just make sure you (family) step up if needed. All will be fine.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I have 5 Females and only one male and he is a submissive Male , and it works out very well , now that said 2 of the females are Bulldogs and a Great Dane and a Airedale and a Siberian Husky all females . The only Male is a Cane Corso
I have and in My view you will also go thru all the members of the pack will try and work out a pecking order . No one so far has challenged the Male here , the females will work it out as to who is the Alpha female and in My view you must let them the odd fight yes till they have figured it out .
I obviously feel two females are better in the social aspect inside and outside of the home , just My thoughts
Our guys play and play with no issues at all and are great outside of the home with other dogs in town .

PS: One other thing our oldest female is 10 yrs ( Siberian) and youngest is 8 months ( Bulldog ) the Male is app 4yrs old .

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have 2 males. Louie is more submissive and sometimes they have their issues but all in all, itā€™s been fine.

I think there is potential for issues with any combo. The key is to make sure YOU are the alpha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online